Gaming Keyboard and Mouse Questions

amythompson172

I was on Amazon.com looking at the Logitech gaming mice and keyboards. In particular, this keyboard:

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-920-002232-Gaming-Keyboard-G110/dp/B002RRLQIO/ref=wl_it_dp_o_npd?ie=UTF8&coliid=I3HFPICXO2YVFH&colid=3CXCNQ4RANJ32

And this mouse:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002J9GDXI/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=emjay2d-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B002J9GDXI

I've never owned a gaming mouse or keyboard before. So I am wondering what the benefits really are in gameplay. Starting off with the mouse, I can't recall what my Microsoft laser mouse DPI is but I'm sure it's nowhere near the 5700 of the Logitech gaming mouse above. How much difference does that really make say when playing a shooter? How does it affect gameplay? Is it easier to aim quickly and accurately? Does it help you to play better? There must be some reason people like them. I'd like to understand how beneficial they are. As for all the extra buttons I don't honestly see myself using them. Do people really find all those buttons on a mouse helpful? What for? What do people activate with them?

On to the Logitech gaming keyboards. The one I linked above I think is their entry level model. I like the backlit keys feature. That is pretty cool. Some of the other stuff seems pretty useless to me personally. The defining feature of this keyboard really seems to be the macro keys. So the question is, what are they good for? I'm trying to imagine what I'd want to macro in a shooter for example. What would I want to macro playing some RPG? What would I want to macro playing World of Warcraft? Once again, people like these a lot for some reason but I am honestly clueless about what specifically it is. So please enlighten the clueless!

Thanks a lot for any feedback on this stuff. I appreciate it.

Gaming kb/mouse don't really increase your skill level, they just make playing games more comfortable, customizable, and functional.

On my G500, I use my side buttons for:

Back/Forward on webrowsers

Melee Key / Grenade Throw

Skill/Spell shortcuts

Other shortcuts

Macros are good for RPGs. TF2 could be an FPS you can use macros/scripts in, such as Spy Sentry Sap + Spy Backstab all on one key. However its mostly for RPGs that have unlimited action bars (like WoW, and not Diablo 3 and Guild Wars 2). You can also use your macros to launch programs/games and other features such as Show Desktop and etc.

If you're not in a rush the G500 usually goes on sale for ~$30-35 (sometimes with MIR and sometimes without MIR)

Edited by AZNguyen

I don't think the keyboard is really worth it unless you plan on using Macros and you are a professional gamer(is this mechanical?)... mouse wouldn't hurt though the extra buttons are great even for normal use and the resolution is very nice so less jumping and better smooth aiming... , Macros are more for RPGs, MMORPGs etc... I'm sure there are other non gaming back lit keyboards out there, unless you really want to buy it... can't you go to a store and try one out?

Edited by Dan The Gamer

Mouse is good and go with a mechanical keyboard for better gaming & typing experience. You will get MX-blue from various vendors at that price range of G110 or a bit higher.

If you don't want to hear the endless click clack, go with a keyboard with MX-brown switches. I believe they have the same actuation force, but they produce a lower audible sound.

I have a Microsoft Sidewinder X4 which has macro keys, but I have never used them for anything while gaming. I mostly play TF2 and StarCraft 2 if that helps.

I was on Amazon.com looking at the Logitech gaming mice and keyboards. In particular, this keyboard:

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-920-002232-Gaming-Keyboard-G110/dp/B002RRLQIO/ref=wl_it_dp_o_npd?ie=UTF8&coliid=I3HFPICXO2YVFH&colid=3CXCNQ4RANJ32

And this mouse:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002J9GDXI/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=emjay2d-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B002J9GDXI

I've never owned a gaming mouse or keyboard before. So I am wondering what the benefits really are in gameplay. Starting off with the mouse, I can't recall what my Microsoft laser mouse DPI is but I'm sure it's nowhere near the 5700 of the Logitech gaming mouse above. How much difference does that really make say when playing a shooter? How does it affect gameplay? Is it easier to aim quickly and accurately? Does it help you to play better? There must be some reason people like them. I'd like to understand how beneficial they are. As for all the extra buttons I don't honestly see myself using them. Do people really find all those buttons on a mouse helpful? What for? What do people activate with them?

On to the Logitech gaming keyboards. The one I linked above I think is their entry level model. I like the backlit keys feature. That is pretty cool. Some of the other stuff seems pretty useless to me personally. The defining feature of this keyboard really seems to be the macro keys. So the question is, what are they good for? I'm trying to imagine what I'd want to macro in a shooter for example. What would I want to macro playing some RPG? What would I want to macro playing World of Warcraft? Once again, people like these a lot for some reason but I am honestly clueless about what specifically it is. So please enlighten the clueless!

Thanks a lot for any feedback on this stuff. I appreciate it.

I got the exact same keyboard and mouse as you posted for christmas, and so far I've been very fond of them. I really like the function of personally browsing through 5 dpi modes on your mouse. I use it in BF3. I have a high dpi set when in first person and when I enter a tank I have an even higher dpi. As for the keyboard I've not used all it's features that much, but I have a few Windows shortcuts attached to some of the G-keys and furthermore some usefull text bindings when I play HoN. Even though if you won't be using the macros all that much it's still a very nice board. The back light is awesome and the keys are very comfortable, and I really like the looks.

I say, go buy it! You won't get dissapointed! By far!

The mouse is fine. Better mouse helps with accuracy and because of the higher DPI you can have a higher mouse speed without skipping pixels. This can happen on any mouse if the settings in the mouse driver and the mouse settings in the OS aren't well adjusted and it's just a bad way to have a mouse. So if you want this mouse, ask yourself if you need the DPI. If you don't know, see if you can't try out the mouse somewhere and decide if you like it. Obviously, you don't have to use ALL the DPI but in that case you could just buy a slightly cheaper mouse with less DPI and use it all. Otherwise you just investing money in something that you might or might not use in the future. But the mouse on it's own is pretty good. Prolly almost as good as the MX518. xD

The keyboard is crap in my opinion. Your paying for basically everything BUT a good keyboard. It's got all these macro keys, line in/out jacks, USB ports, sound adjustments and a bunch of other useless crap, but the bottom line is that it's just a membrane keyboard like anyother keyboard for like 10 - 15 bucks. Most of the time stuff that is advertised as 'gaming' is way worse and overpriced compared to another product of the same type that isn't 'gaming'. A good keyboard is, for starters, mechanical, meaning it has mechanical key switches instead of the standard rubber domes which is the way that TV remotes are made.. practically. So you want to read this Mechanical Keyboard Guide and then decide which key switch would most suite your needs. Obviously it's best if you could try them all out but nobody really has mechanical keyboards on display so you can watch like typing tests on youtube and stuff like that. The mechanical key switches also requier less force to actuate and they don't need to be pressed all the way down for the button to work so it's just an overall more comfortable and less tiering experience when you type or play games.

If your specifically looking for a gaming keyboard, then I would suggest this one: Steelseries 6GV2. It's one of the few gaming keyboards with mechanical switches. It's got the MX Blacks which are considered the best for gaming, but less so for typing, although I don't think it will make a big difference unless your someone who does ONLY gaming or ONLY typing.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but a mechanical keyboard only seems useful for RTS gaming and not really any other genres. FPS games you're mostly holding down keys. RPG games you're limited to activation/cooldown timers anyways, doesn't matter how many times you spam a key. RTS games are really the only ones where you aren't limited to activation/cooldown timers. Everything is usually instant.

Gaming on my Corsair Vengeance K90 (Cherry MX Red) makes almost no difference when gaming on my old Saitek Eclipse 2 (playing mostly FPS/RPG games).

I like all the extra features on keyboards, hence I bought the Vengeance K90 over other mechanical keyboards (wish it had audio jacks too).

Edited by AZNguyen

The Cherry MX Reds are closest to the membrane feel you can get (though a LOT better), you don't need to press down as hard as the Cherry MX Blacks. These are typically good for FPS games.

Cherry MX Blues are normally for RTS games. The top RTS pro gamers use Cherry MX Blues due to the tactile feedback, so they know when they've pressed a key or not. Cherry MX Browns are the lighter version of the Cherry MX Blues, as the Cherry MX Reds are the lighter version of the Cherry MX Blacks. By lighter, I mean the force needed to make a keystroke.

I love my Logitech KB/Mouse combo, and have been using Logitech exclusively for the last 7 or 8 years. I have a Gen2 G5 Mouse and G11 Keyboard that both still work like new.

Besides just covering for repetitive command strings, macro's are great for shooters to call out commands and information to your team on a Pub that isn't all on the same vent. One click can chat to the team simple things like "Incoming Left", "Losing Center Control point", etc. to at least get some communication going on an unorganized Pub.

Thanks a bunch for the responses. I recently was told about the "claw" and "palm" grip method for mice, and realised my method was "claw". "palm" seems very unnatural. I think im going to go ahead and get the Cooler Master CM Storm Spawn, as it seems FANTASTIC for a claw user, and designed as such.

Again, thanks for all the responses!

• 9 years later...

I've been very happy with my CM MasterKeys Pro S. I've got MX Browns but they make it with Reds and Blues too. Onboard lighting profiles (and I imagine keybindings/macros too although I haven't messed with it). My only gripe is the lack of dedicated media keys, but I feel like it's harder to find those on a TKL anyway. Though there are a few other good and affordable options for gaming keyboard like Redragon S101 Wired mentioned in this list https://www.reviewsed.com/best-gaming-keyboards-under-100/

I'd be also inclined to go for it with key switches if you've enjoyed them so far.

The switches are readily available and can be quickly changed by anyone proficient with a soldering iron, although their expected lifetime of 50 million actuations probably means that you'll never need to change one.

I prefer the reds as fitted in my CM MasterKeys Pro S keyboard. I believe this keyboard is now discontinued or I'd highly recommend it.

Edited by StevenBrown