side discussions from other thread

Coors

Weed came from nature (or God if thats your belief). Whose right is it to say it is wrong yet tobacco or alcohol is legal?

I know. That is why we are going to make it all illegal. :biggrin:

Did we not learn anything from prohibition in the 1920s? This is why history repeats itself.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest right now I am wishing a little that alcohol was illegal....

Prohibition on these things is never going to work. Humans by nature buck at and resist anyone when they attempt to ban anything that can potentially provide enjoyment.

If you do get one government that outlaws all of these things. The next government will be elected just to make it legal again.

To quote Dylan Moran on the ultimate human shopping list

"I'd like some illegal, some forbidden, some frowned upon and some down right disgust please and I'll take that to go. Thanks."

Edited by Stonerboy779

John Cheese makes some good points on what people are trying to say about it being good.

But in my opinion, no. Two wrongs don't make a right, trying to use alcohol and tobacco as reasons why marijuana should be legalized is trying to argue for a step backwards. I do think it should stay illegal, and I wish tobacco were as well. Why? Because I'm an opinionated person when it comes to drugs.

How is it a step backwards? Was repealing the 18th amendment a step backwards? When prohibition started it increased crime...murders, theft, burglaries, gang fights. It made organized crime rich in the black market. It made otherwise law abiding citizens criminals and the prisons became over populated.

Prohibition was a failure that did the opposite of what it's supporters intended. I wonder when people will start admitting the same failure of the war on drugs.

Keep weed illegal.... I have had about 5 friends that went from an intelligent human being to being a washed up mindless corpse that could not hold down life for anything.

My experience speaking.

Boinker.

Legal or illegal...would it have made a difference for them? Can you say for certain with or without smoking weed their self responsibility for themselves would be any different? Theres alcoholics that ruin their lives too but theres also people that can drink socially just fine and have jobs, families, success...

I think they should make it illegal not to smoke weed. :P

Well that certainly is a unique take on the subject :teehee:

As someone who has never done weed, I don't really see the point. I've been around people who are stoned and all they seem to do is eat. I do that already. I do think it needs its classification changed though. It's currently (and by currently I mean as of 2009) a class 1 drug. Cocaine is a class 2 drug. This means that legally speaking, weed is more illegal than crack.

When do we throw up the white flag and surrender? We have lost Nixon's "War on drugs" some time ago.

We're not talking a processed and manufactured drug but rather a naturally occurring plant that has medicinal properties for those in pain amongst other things. The history of marijuana being illegal is absurd and has nothing to do with any perceived harm that it causes. It has to do with money, ignorance, and people needing to tell others what to do/not do. Ego ego and ego.

My personal opinion of Marijuana is that it's an enviromental estrogen that lowers sperm count and keeps the population under control. It's effects are why we seek it out. Legislating it is as effective as outlawing natural reproduction(forum won't let me say S e X). It won't work and it never has worked.

Drug companies can't control it. They can't make the best strains and processing it yields a less effective drug. They can't keep you or I from growing it and taking their profits. Therefore it's going to remain illegal in most places. Legalizing it would likely solve our budget and deficit problems. Corporations would like to keep politicians beholden to them rather than the people and it will stay illegal.

Imagine a thing that can reduce pollution, make clothing, paper, and several other natural products. Imagine a thing that makes people less angry and more peaceful. Imagine Marijuana legalized and taxed.

What would law enforcement do? Judges and lawyers would have less workloads. What would doctors do if they could prescribe it over synthetic drugs? How would we fill the prisons we build and keep building/expanding/overcrowding? Starting to see why it's still illegal?

I have smoked marijuana in the past but haven't for several years. That's my personal choice but warped by employer drug screenings and laws in the country/state I live in. If you're in Oklahoma or any other state that has strict drug laws please stay away from marijuana it can ruin your life through the legal system http://www.november.org/thewall/cases/foster-w/foster-w.html . I've spoken with Will Foster and he fits the definition of a prisoner of the drug war with a 93 year sentence for growing and using marijuana for medicinal use in the state of Oklahoma. Really a sad story but a great person.

Edited by rourkchris

well imho weed should be legal, well atleast here in NY. The cops go crazy around here they followed a kid to his house, then broke down his door and shot him dead when he had less than 2 grams of weed on him. even after that they were put on leave and nothing else happened to them.