i5 2550k

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whats within reason?

Is it a personal "feeling" or fact?

Definitely the former. Pushing every last bit of performance out of a chip is fun...but if you want it to last you generally have to step back a few notches. :P

My sig was actually out of date (I just uploaded the newer version, I forgot after I changed it :lol:). I have mine at 1.45 volts and 4.5 GHz. The 4.8 I was running took a little over 1.5 volts (even though I had my BIOS set to 1.4 volts it was overvolting like mad...when I realized that I dropped my OC).

I just looked around and according to Intel the max safe voltage is 1.52V.

Yes, 1.52V is the maximum Intel VID voltage but do be aware cpu's can be programmed with different VID's. For instance the maximum my 2500k VID can go to is 1.5000V.

It is current that causes degradation, so IMHO while 1.5V (maximum VID) should be guaranteed to not cause junction breakdown and instantaneous cpu failure, you still need to make sure your not pushing too much current and higher voltage means higher current.

I think I'm going to bring my OC down to whatever I get at 1.45 stable.

What about other voltage settings like BLCK or PLL voltages? Can anyone explain what those do? also what would be the reason to up the FSB over the stock 100 and does that affect anything voltage wise?

Ty ::cheers:

I think I'm going to bring my OC down to whatever I get at 1.45 stable.

What about other voltage settings like BLCK or PLL voltages? Can anyone explain what those do? also what would be the reason to up the FSB over the stock 100 and does that affect anything voltage wise?

Ty ::cheers:

PLL is phase locked loop. Upping it a little will sometimes help you with the higher overclocks. You'll also need to set PLL overvoltage to enabled to reach higher overclocks.

The BCLK replaced the FSB. You won't be able to increase it much, but doing so will give you a higher overclock. Things get unstable really fast when you increase this though.

So I have been stepping up voltage and multiplier on this new setup tonight (And drinking some good scotch) and I'm seeing, at least with my chip, that I'm able to run prim95 blend at 4.6 / 1.4v stable but I'm hitting a major wall going to 4.8. I did go up to 1.48v and it still was locking up on prime95 so if anyone has any suggestions on any other tweaks, I think I feel comfortable running at 4.6 / 1.4 and max temp at 61C

• 3 months later...

I got my 2550K (and new motherboard :D ) yesterday. This is what I've managed so far in terms of overclocking:

My max OC below 1.4v is 5.0GHz @ 1.376v

CPU-Z

gets 7.74 in Cinebench (11.5 64 bit). Prime95 has only been running about 20 mins so far, so I'm not sure if it's actually stable - I'll post back after a couple of hours if it is.

Max OC above 1.4v is 5.15GHz @ 1.448v

CPU-Z

got 8.04 in Cinebench - didn't want to run Prime95 as it reached 72 degrees towards the end of Cinebench :-(

Cooler is NH-C12P-SE14, Motherboard is a Maximus V Gene...

I got my 2550K (and new motherboard :D ) yesterday. This is what I've managed so far in terms of overclocking:

My max OC below 1.4v is 5.0GHz @ 1.376v

CPU-Z

gets 7.74 in Cinebench (11.5 64 bit). Prime95 has only been running about 20 mins so far, so I'm not sure if it's actually stable - I'll post back after a couple of hours if it is.

Max OC above 1.4v is 5.15GHz @ 1.448v

CPU-Z

got 8.04 in Cinebench - didn't want to run Prime95 as it reached 72 degrees towards the end of Cinebench :-(

Cooler is NH-C12P-SE14, Motherboard is a Maximus V Gene...

Very nice. :)