Time for a new pc.suggestions please

wildman2

To start with the pc will be used mainly for 3d modelling and rendering,no hardcore gaming ,unless Novalogic releases Angel Falls and it would have to be single player only.Crappy internet connection means no multiplayer online gameplay 1400 ms pings yeah I know.Also would be cruising the net. Doing graphics stuff,making textures and whatnot.Plus trying to learn the UDK(unreal development kit) importing/exporting editing features.Got a budget of $1100.0 to $1300.00.Rather stay closer to the $1100.00 mark.

Already have a case Thermaltake element g (won in OCC contest a while back woohoo)or the Antec 900 that my current system is in plus a 1080p 32 in monitor , 1TB sata hd,keyboard, mouse and win 7 64bit think it's a home version.If the Bulldozer was a tad better I'd go for that but it looks like it's another Intel system .List of probable components is

2600k cpu

Asus maximus IV gen or Sabertooth ( leaning towards maximus )

G-skill ripjaws x 2x8 gb 1866 ram or G-skill ripjaws x 2x4 gb 2133 or G-skill sniper 2x4 gb 2133 ( leaning towards ripjaws x 2x4 2133 just for cost reasons)

Corsair power supply either ax750 or ax850 modular (leaning towards ax750 )

1 video card Saphire 6850 2gb version or a Saphire 6950 2gb version ( leaning towards 6850 2 gb )

1 SSD sata 3 120gb or so for os, main modeling and rendering programs.1tb will hold data files and other programs

a Noctua cpu cooler ( whichever one will fit in either case )I like the one that points dn towards the motherboard prolly have to change ram choice though.

a DVD burner sata

Well that's the list.Rather have the 2011 socket but too much $$ for cpu's and MB.Told the wife how much the 3960x cost and she said "well that's not bad huh" got to luv it.

To start with the pc will be used mainly for 3d modelling and rendering,no hardcore gaming ,unless Novalogic releases Angel Falls and it would have to be single player only.Crappy internet connection means no multiplayer online gameplay 1400 ms pings yeah I know.Also would be cruising the net. Doing graphics stuff,making textures and whatnot.Plus trying to learn the UDK(unreal development kit) importing/exporting editing features.Got a budget of $1100.0 to $1300.00.Rather stay closer to the $1100.00 mark.

Already have a case Thermaltake element g (won in OCC contest a while back woohoo)or the Antec 900 that my current system is in plus a 1080p 32 in monitor , 1TB sata hd,keyboard, mouse and win 7 64bit think it's a home version.If the Bulldozer was a tad better I'd go for that but it looks like it's another Intel system .List of probable components is

2600k cpu

Asus maximus IV gen or Sabertooth ( leaning towards maximus )

G-skill ripjaws x 2x8 gb 1866 ram or G-skill ripjaws x 2x4 gb 2133 or G-skill sniper 2x4 gb 2133 ( leaning towards ripjaws x 2x4 2133 just for cost reasons)

Corsair power supply either ax750 or ax850 modular (leaning towards ax750 )

1 video card Saphire 6850 2gb version or a Saphire 6950 2gb version ( leaning towards 6850 2 gb )

1 SSD sata 3 120gb or so for os, main modeling and rendering programs.1tb will hold data files and other programs

a Noctua cpu cooler ( whichever one will fit in either case )I like the one that points dn towards the motherboard prolly have to change ram choice though.

a DVD burner sata

Well that's the list.Rather have the 2011 socket but too much $$ for cpu's and MB.Told the wife how much the 3960x cost and she said "well that's not bad huh" got to luv it.

Go with 2011. The 3820 will be released on the 13th which will be 285 for the CPU.

Wait until like the 15th so we can see fi the CPU is a flop or not.

Will the 3820 be substantially faster than the 2600k rendering large high poly scenes in Cinema 4D?What motherboard would be a good pair with it.Keep in mind I don't really need a multiple gpu's since I don't game.And I'd prolly would overclock it as i did with current system.

Will the 3820 be substantially faster than the 2600k rendering large high poly scenes in Cinema 4D?What motherboard would be a good pair with it.Keep in mind I don't really need a multiple gpu's since I don't game.And I'd prolly would overclock it as i did with current system.

The 3820 is just basically a 2600/2700 with a 4 channel memory controller. The good news is that what you are doing WILL likely push the memory bandwidth enough to see a difference.

The problem with the extreme CPUs is that they are really are not any faster overall, as CPUs then the regualr i7. However the platform has a lot of potential use to the 4 channel memory and could benefit some with multicard setups due to have more PCIe lanes. They key to making these differences work however is to have software that will saturate the memory bandwidth or the PCIe lanes enough to make real use of the extra. In your case there is a solid possibility that you would benefit from it, not 100% sure since I do not do 3D rendering but from what I hear this should be true.

The draw back to the 3820 of course is the cost of the platform but consider what you are spending on a 1055 board with your two choices you are not going to be any worse than you are now for cost.

If you decide to stay with the i7 approach I would cut back some on the baord. there are GREAT 1055 boards for a lot less money to easily fill your needs for a solid motherboard.

As for the 2011 boards, the Asus P9X79 looks like a really solid choice as far as value. I would go for something with 8 memory slots and put in 32 gig of RAM.

Not sure but since both has 4 cores and 8 threads, they should handle rendering quite nicely. Just that you won't be able to OC much with 3820's locked multiplier but I reckoned you'd not need to OC it for a long time.

This is a good board to start with:

ASRock X79 Extreme4 - $214.99

Or if you want to go over a bit, you can try these:

MSI X79 GD65 (8D) - $289.99

ASUS Sabertooth X79 - $329.99

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 8GB (4 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) - $56.99

Graphics: Gigabyte R6950OC-2GB - $249.99

PSU: Corsair AX750 - $169.99

Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 - $89.99 (The only Noctua HS with 2011 bracket I'm aware of)

SSD: Kingston HyperX SSD 120GB - $204.99

Optic: Lite-ON 24x DVD Writer OEM - $18.99

Sub-Total (With Extreme4): ~$1007

+ i7 3820 (Said price @ 285)

$1292

:cheers:

Edited by vandreadstriker

looks like I need to cruise Newegg some more.Maybe I can squeeze a few more coin out of the ole lady hehehe.Would that dh-14 fit in either the antec 900 or the thermaltake element g?Realy like that 2011 Sabertooth sure is pricey though :(.Cinema 4D can use pretty much as many cores as you can throw at it.

The Asrock x79 extreme 4 was on my short list for the 2044 boards if I went that way.Curious as to why the ripjaws z and the gigabyte 6950 though. Those P9X79's look like real nice MB's reviews on the egg are not real good but I take those with a grain of salt anyways.

The Gigabyte R6950OC is the highest factory overclocked card I can find and comes at relatively nice price.. You can get sapphire card for 279 in Newegg.

RAM wise, I'm sure the others can point you at a better direction since it really isn't my strong point. But the RipjawsZ would fit under the D14.

Edited by vandreadstriker

• 4 weeks later...

I like what I am seeing so far but for professional programs may I suggest professional graphics over gaming graphics? I would recommend this FirePro as it seems to be similar to what you your 6850's price. Also Newegg is having a sale on all Corsair PSU's better get em' quick! (btw I have an AX 850 and LOVE IT!)

Promo code is

EMCNGNJ22