Scratch on hard drive PCB?

90sgamer

Hello All!

I recently decided to do some dust clean-up inside my laptop case, and while removing the hard drive, I nicked the PCB with a flathead screwdriver :doh:

Whatever material the circuit tracks are made of (I think its copper) is exposed, and it is shinier than the other parts of the track. I was doing some reading, and some people on forums said it isn't a big issue, others said it could eventually lead to circuit failure... :(

I booted up windows and it ran fine for about 10 minutes and then I shut it down, just to be safe.

What do you guys think? Is it bad?

post-77960-0-23060600-1328303220_thumb.jpg

post-77960-0-00693100-1328303532_thumb.jpg

Sorry, these jpegs are kind of big but I wanted to post the best pics of the scratch that I could.

Thanks!

Edit:

FYI: Its a Western Digital Scorpio Black 320GB 2.5" Drive

Edited by 90sgamer

Well I'd say you got lucky! It looks like it nearly got severed :( I don' think there's any thing you can really do about that.

I know my laptop has a little plastic tray cover to stop shorts from forming and if you don't, place some tap or a sticker on it so it can't happen.

Back up your files if you unsure but it looks fine to me!

Edited by Mysion

Thankfully all I had on there was a fresh Win 7 install. I keep all of my files on an external drive.

@Mysion - Yeah, the original hard drive had a plastic cover too, but this hard drive I bought off of newegg over the summer didn't have one.

I heard that you can seal the scratch with superglue so the copper is no longer exposed, is that safe? I think is should be fine as it isn't conductive.

The scratch looks so minor from a glance, but using my camera. you can really see that damage. Hopefully Paul is right I have not actually damaged the circuitry. My main concern was from reading that moisture can get into the copper circuitry and change its electrical properties so it could burn out when it heats up (or something like that). I can't find the link to that forum now, but I read somewhere earlier.

@ -Waco, I'm thinking along the same lines with sealing it somehow. As I don't have any nail polish, and don't know many girls, will Krazy glue work as well?

Edited by 90sgamer