Kitting myself out with Koolance. First timer

ghostcorps

I am learning the importance of flow and that each object in the loop restricts it that little bit more. :)

With a d5 the drop in flow is jack. The pump is that high a performer that you should just max out your usable rad space. Go with 360+120 if you can the more the merrier :cheers::lol:

Can you upload a pic of this shroud?

Hmmmmm that's damn tempting but p plates, 1 demerits point and a blown head gasket is stopping me.

I am learning the importance of flow and that each object in the loop restricts it that little bit more. :)

Flow is good, but you probably won't be reducing your flow much with multiple radiators. Most are pretty free-flowing. Restrictive fittings and blocks are what you usually want to stay away from, but even then, as long as your flow is halfway decent you'll be fine.

the two most important things about watercooling are

1: flow rates, if these are too low, you wont get decent cooling

2: rad space, if you dont have enough, the water wont cool properly and the water temp will slowly creep up

things like order and whatnot for the blocks dont make any difference

Lol, did you lose your license?

Not quite.

We have some annoying rules here for new drivers.

First 3 years you have p (probationary) plates 1 year red and two green. For both you have to blow a 0.0 in breath tests. You can only loose a total of 5 demerits points in any one period of 12 months (12 points total on licence after 3 years I think you get your point back, can't remember). I lost 3 points two weeks before my licence and 1 the week after getting it. Both where due to driving in an unknown area with roads that should have been (based on size, lanes, nature strip ect) faster than what they where.

Only got 1 point for another 2 months now :-/

There are more restrictions and so many are ridiculous IMO .

Does anyone have a good rule of thumb for how much radiator area you need? I personally like to have a minimum 120mm for each high heat output device in the loop, then 120mm for every couple low heat devices. For example 120mm for the CPU and another 120mm for the GPU, then 120mm for the VRMs and the chipset (360mm minimum all together).

PS: Stoner, we have the same system in Canada, except you have your Learner's License followed by your New Driver's License. My sister lost her N, so she had to start over from the beginning :lol:

The Revised plan.

Hello again all, I have a final (?) plan. What do you think?

CPU: Koolance MB-ASSTX79 Full Coverage Waterblock for the ASUS Sabertooth X79

GPU: Koolance VID-AR797 Full Coverage Water Block the ATi Radeon HD 7970

Pump: Koolance PMP-450 (MCP655 / laing d5)

Reservoir: XSPC Premium Acrylic Reservoir for Laing D5 Pumps

Fans: Gentle Typhoon 120mm

Radiator: Swiftech MCR360

Straight fitting: EK-PSC Fitting 13mm - G1/4 - 1/2" (3/4" OD) Black

Angled fitting: EK-PSC Fitting 13mm - G1/4 - 1/2" (3/4" OD) Black + EK-PSC Adapter 45° G1/4 Black

Drain: Koolance Drain Valve VLV-XTSPLB

Hose: Tygon 3400 Tubing 1/2"

I have been playing with a very rough sketchup model to get an idea of the space and angles I am working with. I am pretty sure I have it right. In the interests of flow, I have avoided L bends at all costs.

This is what I came up with.

Radiators = 2X Angled

VRM/CPU = 4X Angled

GPU = 2x angled

Pump = 1x angled + 1x straight

Valve = 2x straight

TOTAL = 9 x Angle + 3x Straight

nb. I know it is smarter to dry fit everything first, but I don't mind having to reorder the odd piece if need be.

So, what have I missed?

Edited by ghostcorps

I agree with Stoner, the H100 is a triple radiator isn't it? So what you were using before to cool just your CPU you are now using to cool your CPU, GPU, and motherboard. I know custom loops are more efficient, but I still think that unless you grab a 120mm as well you will see you CPU temperature spike noticeably.

PS: You forgot to include your CPU block again, the CPU-370 water block is not included in that motherboard kit.

PPS: The tubing you chose is 1/2" ID 3/4" OD, that will be extremely hard to route with your motherboard as cluttered as it is, I really think you should go with 1/2" ID 5/8" OD tubing and compression fittings. Just because the 3/4" OD tubing is insanely stiff, and even with 45 degree fittings it won't want to go where you want it.