Kitting myself out with Koolance. First timer

ghostcorps

Well it's not my $100K... I'm a half owner in a company, we made our first $100K month in January, it was pretty exciting :)

I only get 12.5% as a salary (which is actually pretty sweet)

Damn straight that is pretty sweet.

I only get 3k a month when working 40 hour week but at 19 cant complain, especially with pay rise next week. Oh and no travel costs because I use dad's car and fuel card :D

So Ghost

Koolance blocks for mobo-cpu-gpu

D5 pump (varriable)

Res top for D5 pump

240 and a 120 rad with gentle typhoons

all the assorted fittings (barb and worm drive clamps?)

tubing

fan controller? (for 8 fans? would be cheaper than the koolance control unit and you can pic up a water temp sensor for a couple bucks)

shipping to?

Have you decided on a tubing size yet? What about using compression fittings? They look a lot nicer, though they can be more costly. Oh, and what radiators are you going with? The Swiftech MCR 120 & 220?

Of course it is better to measure twice & cut once, but sometimes it is impossible to plan for such small tolerances.

This is why I have enlisted the help of those with much more experience in WC than I. Stonerboy already saved me a big chunk of change just by making me look at the costings again :)

Niko: 12.5% of a 100k p/m company is still nothing to be modest about! :) No wonder you celebrated! Well done.

The Swiftech MCR 120 & 220 do seem to be the way to go. now I am down to tubing and fittings, which I have not even looked at yet. Can you give me some tips to help me decide? how much more costly are the compression fittings?

StonerBoy:

CPU: Koolance MB-ASSTX79 Full Coverage Waterblock for the ASUS Sabertooth X79

GPU: Koolance VID-AR797 Full Coverage Water Block the ATi Radeon HD 7970

Pump: Koolance PMP-450 (MCP655 / laing d5)

Reservoir: XSPC Premium Acrylic Reservoir for Laing D5 Pumps

Control Unit: Koolance CTR-CD10 Pump & Fan Controller With Display

Radiator: Swiftech MCR 120 & 220 + 6x Gentle Typhoons

Shipping to Reservoir, 3073 but don't get too far ahead of me :P I have to wait till next fortnight before I can cough it up.

I know I can get the individual fan/pump controllers for a 10/th the price of the koolance beastie, but I am somewhat smitten with it. I like having a heads up to see whats going on and esp to program the step-ups. You know what the weather is like here, 10C in the morning and 35C in the arvo, I don't want to be endlessly matching the fan/pump speeds to our schitzo weather.

Edited by ghostcorps

I'd probably go with Tygon 1/2" ID 5/8" OD "Smooth" Non-Porous tubing. Compression fittings are about triple the cost of a barb and clamp, if you're strapped for cash go with the barbs, but if you wanna spruce up your loop a little compression fittings look absolutely gorgeous. You'll definitely want a few 45 degree fittings cause your motherboard is going to get crowded, you could potentially get 90 degree instead, but sharp corners cam hurt your flow rates. If you do go the compression route go with Bitspower fittings, they're top quality.

PS: 1,450 RPM Gentle Typhoons are very quiet, you should be able to run everything at 100% load 24/7, then you won't even need a fan controller.

PPS: The Sabertooth X79 water block set does not include a CPU water block, so you will need to also get the Koolance CPU-370, you probably already knew that, but it wasn't in your list so I thought I'd point it out.

Melb weather is the . :lol: not to bad today tho.

It is a one hour drive to Dingle Village and PCCG along either M1 or Eastlink but the shipping is only going to be less than $30 just depends how impatient you are and weather the fuel is free for you. Hell my current mock list is only $33 to reservoir.

Barbs a $3.50 and compression are $11 and that is before you even look at 90 or 45 degree fittings or rotary fittings. A pack of worm drive clams from bunnings is a couple dollars.

If you really want to control your set up (fans, pumps, flow meters, lots of temp sensors) consider the Koolance TMS-205 Software Thermal Interface Controller it was only $109 a week or so ago when it was in stock with PCCG. Plenty of things it can do software to go with and better than the 100 fn controller in the drive bay.

I'd probably go with Tygon 1/2" ID 5/8" OD "Smooth" Non-Porous tubing. Compression fittings are about triple the cost of a barb and clamp, if you're strapped for cash go with the barbs, but if you wanna spruce up your loop a little compression fittings look absolutely gorgeous. You'll definitely want a few 45 degree fittings cause your motherboard is going to get crowded, you could potentially get 90 degree instead, but sharp corners cam hurt your flow rates. If you do go the compression route go with Bitspower fittings, they're top quality.

PS: 1,450 RPM Gentle Typhoons are very quiet, you should be able to run everything at 100% load 24/7, then you won't even need a fan controller.

That does sound like less fuss :) but what about 6 of them + the pump?

I'm looking over your tubing suggestions now.

StonerBoy:

It might be worth the drive, but I have a V6 Falcon... so only just!!

The software controller is a nice idea too.

So many options lol

Edited by ghostcorps

That does sound like less fuss :) but what about 6 of them + the pump?

I'm looking over your tubing suggestions now.

If you can't hear your case now I doubt that will change (don't hold me to that though) :P

The fans are rated at 21dB at 100% load, barely noticeable over your current case fans. The pump might be somewhat noisy, but you can just stick it at 80% load 24/7 and it will still be more than enough power.

If you can't hear your case now I doubt that will change (don't hold me to that though) :P

The fans are rated at 21dB at 100% load, barely noticeable over your current case fans. The pump might be somewhat noisy, but you can just stick it at 80% load 24/7 and it will still be more than enough power.

nice!

I'll put the controller on the 'If this doesn't do it' list :)

As much as I love the look of the compression fittings, I could be looking at round $300! Does this sound right?

So yeh, barbs are fine. I would like it being more readily moddable with the compression fittings, but I don't see any upgrades in the near future.

Barbs and tygon looks to be the way to go. I can figure out what needs to be angled or not.

StonerBoy: Do you feel like giving me a hand when the day comes? Have you ever used a vaporiser? ;)

Edited by ghostcorps

I have a little question. I bought a Swiftech MCP655-B, it has a 4-pin Molex AND a 3-pin like most fans. Is the 3-pin for speed control? If so, can I plug it into my motherboard where the CPU fan usually goes and control it like that?

PS: $300 for fittings only? It should be half that.

As much as I love the look of the compression fittings, I could be looking at round $300! Does this sound right?

So yeh, barbs are fine. I would like it being more readily moddable with the compression fittings, but I don't see any upgrades in the near future.

Barbs and tygon looks to be the way to go. I can figure out what needs to be angled or not.

StonerBoy: Do you feel like giving me a hand when the day comes? Have you ever used a vaporiser? ;)

$300 is way too much on fittings for this cooling system, even if you used compression.

If you want to run things past me go nuts doesn't bother me.

Nope I haven't used one you planning on putting some extreme cooling together?

I have a little question. I bought a Swiftech MCP655-B, it has a 4-pin Molex AND a 3-pin like most fans. Is the 3-pin for speed control? If so, can I plug it into my motherboard where the CPU fan usually goes and control it like that?

PS: $300 for fittings only? It should be half that.

It is just a tacho and measures the rpm of the pump.