E8400 vs Q9300

• 1 month later...

FINALLY!! after a long wait...I finally put the q9300 in my rig and it's at 3.3Ghz running stable..

I want to overclock it somemore but it won't boot into windows just freezes in various part of the windows logo....i tried uping the vcore nothing...next I've got to mess around with the memory in the bios..but I would of thought that if it was the memory it wouldn't of even turned on....any suggestions as to what is wrong?

edit: spelling

Edited by Il_napoletano

FINALLY!! after a long wait...I finally put the q9300 in my rig and it's at 3.3Ghz running stable..

I want to overclock it somemore but it won't boot into windows just freezes in various part of the windows logo....i tried uping the vcore nothing...next I've got to mess around with the memory in the bios..but I would of thought that if it was the memory it wouldn't of even turned on....any suggestions as to what is wrong?

What bus speed, voltage, etc are you using?

Sorry im not real experienced in the LGA 775 overclocking area, ive only taken the Q6600 i bought from Waco upto 3.2GHz... on the plus side, waco really knows what he's talking about with LGA 775, so he should be more than capable to help you!

Sorry im not real experienced in the LGA 775 overclocking area, ive only taken the Q6600 i bought from Waco upto 3.2GHz...

Yeah, the heat from that chip really limits you unless you have crazy good cooling. :lol: The Q9300 should be a bit easier though!

Screenshot of BIOS setting please.

ok here they are....

BIOS:

4442797_orig.jpg

2020684_orig.jpg

CPUz

2811670_orig.png

edit:pic fixed

edit 2: the Vcore is a bit high as I took this during my overclocking...it can run stable with it lower

Edited by Il_napoletano

Since that's the highest multiplier you can use I'm going to be you're being limited by your motherboard at this point. You could try increasing your northbridge (MCH voltage in your pic, I think) a few notches to see if that helps stability at higher FSBs.

Since that's the highest multiplier you can use I'm going to be you're being limited by your motherboard at this point. You could try increasing your northbridge (MCH voltage in your pic, I think) a few notches to see if that helps stability at higher FSBs.

but I was running my e8400 @ 454mhz no problem on stock voltages(on the nb)

and uping the NB voltage decrease your system longevity?

Its harder on the NB with a quad because there are two dies in the CPU package. It won't decrease life as long as you keep the voltage reasonable and have decent cooling on the mobo.