Worth it to go from 4GB to 8GB RAM?

Hi there. First of all, would it pay off to buy another 4 gigs for my system? I game a lot. BF3, Crysis 2, HoN, Just Cause 2, Portal 2. Furthermore I do some video editing and photoshopping once in a while. I use 2 monitors, one at a resolution of 1680x1050 and the other one at 12xx by 10xx something :)

Then to the second question. If it would be worth it to upgrade from 4 to 8 GB RAM, would the other pair of stick have to be the exact same as the ones I've already installed, or do the timings just have to be the same? Atm I have a poor set of Kingston Value RAM, but would like some Kingston HyperX. Now, it's pretty expensive in Denmark, so I can't afford to get 2 new sets of HyperX.

Hope someone can help me with this basic problem :)

Regards

- Skytte

For gaming 4 GB is more than enough, however, photoshopping and rendering does use quite a bit more. I recently rendered a video in Sony vegas, which used 60% of my 8 GB. The video was about 15 secs long. Memory prices are real cheap at the moment. You should be able to affordthese kingston.

Hi there. First of all, would it pay off to buy another 4 gigs for my system? I game a lot. BF3, Crysis 2, HoN, Just Cause 2, Portal 2. Furthermore I do some video editing and photoshopping once in a while. I use 2 monitors, one at a resolution of 1680x1050 and the other one at 12xx by 10xx something :)

Then to the second question. If it would be worth it to upgrade from 4 to 8 GB RAM, would the other pair of stick have to be the exact same as the ones I've already installed, or do the timings just have to be the same? Atm I have a poor set of Kingston Value RAM, but would like some Kingston HyperX. Now, it's pretty expensive in Denmark, so I can't afford to get 2 new sets of HyperX.

Hope someone can help me with this basic problem :)

Regards

- Skytte

I think it"ll be much better to just get a 2x4GB kit since running 4 RAM at the same time could prevent them from running on rated specs...

Okay, so I want 8 gigs, but since I, as mentioned, already have a pair of Value RAM, I may as well buy a new pair of 2x2 GB right? That leads to my second question in my first post.

EDIT: Would these go with a pair of value ram with the exact same specs?

Edited by SkytTe

Skytte, if you can afford the extra 150kr. You should go for the ones I linked. It's 2 sticks with 4GB on each. They are really good for the price and they fit most builds. Only the x79 boards can make use of 4 sticks. Your mobo will only benefit from dual or triple.