Reasons for piracy

Shifty2105

My anti-piracy stance used to be pretty staunch. However, I find myself rethinking that as of late. When people would justify downloading a game or movie by saying "I wasn't going to buy it anyway", I just figured they were being a douchey thief. But I can't fault the logic, honestly.

There's an old saying: locks are for honest people. DRM only punishes those people who would pay for IP anyway. I wish I could believe that the entertainment industries suffer as much as they claim they do due to pirates. But all of their logic is based on projections and assumptions, not actual fact. To say that something would have sold much better if not for pirate sites assumes that those people who downloaded the content would have ever bought it in the first place, which is unlikely. I buy what I like not so much because of some root in honesty but because, as Gabe Newell said, it's more convenient to purchase the content rather than download it for free. Granted, that gives developers of content all the more reason to place DRM on their goods; I can't honestly say that I wouldn't download it all for free if it were that easy. Still, I prefer to support developers when they make content I'm actually interested in. That includes movies that I would otherwise rent, books that I would otherwise get from a library, or music that I would otherwise get from a friend.

If you make a product with real value, something that doesn't pander to the lowest common denominator, people will pay.

I don't know of any pirate sites because I've never had much reason to visit them. I absolutely hate iTunes because of its security; it makes everything I buy so damned difficult to use in any convenient way. So for music, I generally buy from Amazon, if I like a song. Games I almost always buy new because, in my view, used games are worse than any form of piracy. A used game saves the customer $5 but costs the developer their royalty. Compounded, that causes smaller developers, who often have newer, fresher ideas, to be bought out by big publishers like EA. Bioware is a perfect indication of what happens to software when a big publishing house gets involved. Movies, well, chances are pretty good that if I saw it in the theater, I'll buy it on Blu-ray at some point. I use Netflix and Redbox for pretty much everything else.

My point is really that piracy exists now mainly to spite anti-piracy measures. Most people, I believe, simply purchase content. But since companies are punishing the honest consumer by forcing increasingly intrusive anti-piracy measures on them, some have taken it upon themselves to fight back against what they consider to be an injustice. Cue escalation in the form of Anonymous and other such groups, which really little but to cause the creation of even more annoying anti-piracy measures that those of us who don't pirate are then forced to deal with. So on and so forth.

My anti-piracy stance used to be pretty staunch. However, I find myself rethinking that as of late. When people would justify downloading a game or movie by saying "I wasn't going to buy it anyway", I just figured they were being a douchey thief. But I can't fault the logic, honestly.

There's an old saying: locks are for honest people. DRM only punishes those people who would pay for IP anyway. I wish I could believe that the entertainment industries suffer as much as they claim they do due to pirates. But all of their logic is based on projections and assumptions, not actual fact. To say that something would have sold much better if not for pirate sites assumes that those people who downloaded the content would have ever bought it in the first place, which is unlikely. I buy what I like not so much because of some root in honesty but because, as Gabe Newell said, it's more convenient to purchase the content rather than download it for free. Granted, that gives developers of content all the more reason to place DRM on their goods; I can't honestly say that I wouldn't download it all for free if it were that easy. Still, I prefer to support developers when they make content I'm actually interested in. That includes movies that I would otherwise rent, books that I would otherwise get from a library, or music that I would otherwise get from a friend.

This. Many times a *friend* of mine has downloaded a game to try it out, and ended up buying it. Just as often, he's downloaded a game, and decided he didn't like it at all, and deleted it. And in regards to the DRM bit, I know the same *friend* bought Assassins Creed 2, but couldn't stand the DRM, so he downloaded a cracked copy as well. In the latter case, I believe that he was fully justified in doing so.

As I know you ate smart enough to realize you are rationalizing. cheers.gif

Rationalizing what? Downloading a game to see if I want to buy it?

I can't come up with any reason why that is immoral, unethical, or wrong. Can you (aside from the whole "it's against the law" thing, because laws have absolutely nothing to do with morality)?

If you want to call that rationalization, go ahead. I call it being reasonable and smart with my money. :lol:

Missed that edit last night when I responded, I think Jimbo there has it right really. Obviously I don't agree with him 100% but as far who benefits from copyright and SOPA goes, he's got it down I think.

I do agree with him most of the time, but sometimes he does go a bit over the top with the exaggerations and generalisations. and in some of his videos it does get a bit blurry if he's trolling or not. But in general he is one of the few people left in the industry that i trust for relatively unbiased reviews.

So whenever you need to cut down a tree in your yard, you call up your buddy and ask to use his chainsaw and he in turn calls Stihl to see if it's okay to let you borrow it? I doubt that.

Now if you're talking about personal permission, just between you and your friend, that's what a pirate does. When aXXo uploads a movie he doesn't say "Oh by the way, this is only for Jim" no, he doesn't specify a person, he puts that content up for anyone to watch. If we're talking person permissions, he can do that, they don't have to be friends for him to do that.

Also, it doesn't matter if you only borrow something temporarily, that's still a "lost" sale to the company. The company doesn't have any input on the situation, you and your friend didn't include Stihl when you shared a chainsaw just like how pirates don't include Sony when they share movies and games.

:withstupid: :withstupid: :withstupid:

I'm sure i remember at the start / end of dvds/vhs they have a black screen with white writing something to the extent of do not lend, copy or publicly screen this movie. So im pretty sure that technically it is illegal to lend a movie / tv series to a friend. I guess i really should have quoted coors but too late now :P

12 pages of the same reasons for and against, that are mentioned in every other piracy related thread.......

You guys, seriously?

I dare anyone Herr to honestly claim they have never pirated anything and then want to find someone that has never been able to justify to themselves even one time they have pirated......

We have done it, we can justify it, we can take moral high grounds, we can stick it to and industry or company, everything is in the grey and arguments will forever go in circles.