Pc Slloooow, mayday!

PeanutDispenser

I ordered my pc around 3 years ago, which has never really performed as it should have even as a low-mid spec machine.

New corsair TX650 has just been put in (crap fsp psu cooked itself) - everything seems to work but the boot-up is painfully slow and simple tasks like looking through my doc and pictures causes horrible lag - gaming is pretty difficult - oblivion keeps giving me 'visual c++ run-time error' and fallout 3 likes to freeze

HDD is on the way out -failed s.m.a.r.t test and error check takes many many days =(

Memtest86+ seemed to think the ram was alright

I am at a loss with what to do with it, i do not know whether components are broken or just dont co-operate.

Is it likely my dying HDD is the cause of the slowness?

OR is the lack of ram more the problem - I could get 4gig but cant afford new OS to allow for more?

I was wondering if the fault was with the actual build - mobo not happy with choice of Ram or something

Any advice about tests i could run etc would be really appreciated

Corsair TX650

AMD Athlon 64 X2 7750+ (2.7GHz)

2x1GB Corsair Dominator 1066mhz

Asus M3N78

Palit 9800GTX+

500gb seagate 7200rpm, 8MBcache - ST3500410AS (Dying)

XP Home (yippie...)

Yeah, i dont know what to do - i have little money to throw at it, any guidance would be great...

cheers

I'm guessing that your HDD is quite full? I've had my 1TB 90% full before and it slowed things down. Try reinstalling windows, if not, clean up the HDD to get at least 15-20% free space.

There's also the possibility that the old PSU brought some components with it when it cooked itself... Try and see if anything are blown on you board.

Edited by vandreadstriker

My advice would be to backup your files then reinstall windows. I think replacing the hard drive would be farther down the line of things to do (especially since you said you dont have the budget for repairs). Reinstalling windows fixes a lot of issues.

Kyle

You don't need a new ps for more ram your current licence is for 32bit or 64bit you would just reinstall as 64bit re registering with your current licence.

Even if you don't do add more ram or even replace the hdd this is a world of benefit for xp. When xp gets viruses or gets heavily bogged down with broken drivers and errors everywhere a fresh install always cleans it up best.

The HDD is going bad, just replace it after you back up your data. From the way it sounds, I think you could try to reinstall windows, but from the way it sounds, I would be surprised if you actually installed it rather than giving up and burning the HDD. If you don't have a lot of money to spend, go check out the OCC market place. Lots of people including myself are selling HDDs for cheap.

Ran seatools for DOS last night, HDD is well and truely on it's way out...

I will wipe and reinstall xp...

I have an ancient (9yr old) Maxtor 60Gig drive going spare which still runs fine but it's 5400rpm.

Would it be a bad idea to wipe this maxtor one and use this as my OS drive?

or should i be using a new drive?

Looking at reviews for a load of HDDs from all brands, there dosent seem to be a 'reliable' option - any recommendations?

@vandreadstriker - The drive is around half full, but the system has been constantly slow since out of the box...