Overclocking i7 920 past 3.4

exile47

Hi All

I've been using my i7 920 @ 3.4 from day one really. It's been rock solid every day. Everything is at default and i just adjusted the base clock. I want to however overclock a bit more. I've read about overclocking the 920 and used the following:

Intel Turbo Mode- Disable

BCLK Frequency – 180(MHz)

DRAM Frequency – 1,363MHz (On multiplier)

CPU Voltage – 1.35V

CPU PLL Voltage – 1.96V

QPI/DRAM Voltage – 1.35V

DRAM Voltage – 1.60V (Ram is 1.5 and rated @ 1600)

But it blue screen always directly after loading desktop. This is strange as I did up the voltage and the system is fine @ 3.4

Any suggestions?

Thanks

As long as the cooling solution is OK and can handle it I would set the base clock to 180. CPU voltage to 1.320, qpi/vtt to 1.35, pll to 1.88, uncore to the second lowest setting. Qpi link to lowest setting. Ioh to 1.30 ich to 1.30. Turn LLC on. All spread spectrums off. Leave the ram at lower clock speed and everything else on Auto.

Keep an eye on the temps under load. If it goes over 90 let us know and we can make adjustments from there.

If it boots run prime95 in small fft and operate it for four hours. If it bsods between the alloyed time let me know And give me the code. If it does not bsod move to large fft and repeat the proccess. If it still does not bald then move it to 4ghz and detest everything.

As long as the cooling solution is OK and can handle it I would set the base clock to 180. CPU voltage to 1.320, qpi/vtt to 1.35, pll to 1.88, uncore to the second lowest setting. Qpi link to lowest setting. Ioh to 1.30 ich to 1.30. Turn LLC on. All spread spectrums off. Leave the ram at lower clock speed and everything else on Auto.

Keep an eye on the temps under load. If it goes over 90 let us know and we can make adjustments from there.

If it boots run prime95 in small fft and operate it for four hours. If it bsods between the alloyed time let me know And give me the code. If it does not bsod move to large fft and repeat the proccess. If it still does not bald then move it to 4ghz and detest everything.

Thanks for the reply! My cooler is a Zalman CNPS X10 Extreme so i think that should be ok.

Although some of the name are obvious some of the names in the Asus bios is different. Can you please specify excatly what needs to be what.

Thanks!

post-73795-0-65727600-1327057453_thumb.jpg

post-73795-0-90306500-1327057476_thumb.jpg

Edited by exile47

That is the Asus BIOS names. I'm running a P6T7

Ill give you an idea of how much voltage you may need. Start at the lowest setting an Go from there. May take some tweaking but you should be able to do it.

CPU multiplier: 21

Base clock or bclk: 181

Dram frequency: closest to 1333mh

Uncore, qpi link data rate on auto.

CPU voltage: 1.30-1.35

CPU Pll: 1.80-1.88 (start with 1.86)

Qpi/dram 1.30-1.35

Ioh voltage: 1.30-1.36

Ich voltage: 1.30

Dram bus voltage: 1.64v (or what is says on the side of the ram)

Loadline calibration (LLC): enabled

CPU and Pci spread spectrum. Off

That should be a quick an dirty method to make it to 3.80. Again let me know what happens, run prime95 and report temps as I suggested at the first post.

i agree. if you have a good chip you can do 3.9ghz~ stock voltage.

this is mine

CPU multiplier: 19

Base clock or bclk: 198

Dram frequency: closest to 1333mh

Uncore, 3200? or 2600 (don't remember off hand)

CPU voltage: 1.35

CPU Pll: 1.88

Qpi/dram 1.4

Ioh voltage: stock

Ich voltage: stock

this gets me almost 4ghz nearly stock settings. past this i have to really start pushing the cpu and QPi.

I wouldn't plug those in straight up. you have to start low with everything at stock. bump bclk until you no longer boot, drop muti and raise bclk. by this point you should be close to 3.8ghz with mostly everything at stock.

every motherboard is different. my ASRock had to have really high PLL to run above 3.8 and it wouldn't even boot past 196 no matter what. with my EVGA board i can do 206 bclk if i wanted (not stable but it does boot.)

edit: lastly if you are still running into issues at lower settings make sure to relax the RAM to like 10-10-10-36 or something. not all board or chips can handle both an overclock and fast ram.

Edited by hornybluecow
  • Like 1

The Intel I series processors are great but, for some reason I prefer AMD's Overall especially when it comes to Overclocking.

Nice second post. :P

Looks like you are going to change the hardware world. :whistling: Next say that you already have <20nm processors. :rofl:

Hi All

Thanks for all the replies. I've tried the exact settings boinker suggested, but couldn't even get into windows :(. It's very strange as it only 200 more than what i'm running now and upped the voltage. Should i try to loosen the ram timings? It's 1600 ram running at close to 1333 but can't really think what else is wrong.

Any suggestions?

Thanks