Bios reserving more than half my RAM

I changed my mobo to the sabertooth 990FX and now more than half my RAM is reserved in bios. When using my ASUS m4A89TD Pro/USB 3 all of it was available.

In the Northbridge settings it shows both sticks. On the main page it show 2Gb Available. In Windows it shows 2087Mb is Hardware reserved. I have remapping turned on and have the lastest Bios.

How do I get this mobo to release this memory..

I changed my mobo to the sabertooth 990FX and now more than half my RAM is reserved in bios. When using my ASUS m4A89TD Pro/USB 3 all of it was available.

In the Northbridge settings it shows both sticks. On the main page it show 2Gb Available. In Windows it shows 2087Mb is Hardware reserved. I have remapping turned on and have the lastest Bios.

How do I get this mobo to release this memory..

Obviously you have tried going back to default settings, and more then likely you have done the Cmos batter trick correct?

How do you know that it is your BIOS reserving the RAM? I know you can reserve ram in the OS if you mess around with MSconfig. Is it possible it is something in the MSconfig settings? Otherwise it sounds like a tech support question for a faulty BIOS.

Obviously you have tried going back to default settings, and more then likely you have done the Cmos batter trick correct?

How do you know that it is your BIOS reserving the RAM? I know you can reserve ram in the OS if you mess around with MSconfig. Is it possible it is something in the MSconfig settings? Otherwise it sounds like a tech support question for a faulty BIOS.

Did defaults but not pulling batt. Its the Bios reserving RAM because Bios shows as 2Gb in main screen but when looking at the RAM in NB it shows both banks populated. Windows is just reporting what the bios seems to have set up.

AMD ate your ram!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rofl:

Call tech support and explain the issue. Maybe they have a beta BIOS that they can email you, or maybe they will tell you to RMA the thing altogether.

Yeah I've logged a tech support call. See what happens.

Hey there Dihartnell.

What ram is this specifically. I looked at the certified venders list and im curious what kind of ram this is.

Please post the exact model ect Just cause I cant see it being the dominator GT stuff unless you have a bad memory slot or a damaged stick of memory.

What you might try is running one of the mem sticks in the Primary channel 1 slot and see what you have then use the second stick in that slot and see what it says.

While there out check and make sure none of the memory channel banks are damaged or have a unset pin in the memory slots.

Stupid question.. Is the onboard video turned on????

Thanks all for you replies,

The memory Modules are CMT4GX3M2A2000c8.

In the bios under Northbridge Advanced settngs It shows two sticks of RAM. In the main Bios page its says 2Gb Available. In the OS with Aisuite it also shows two sticks and also in System Info. The windows reasource monitor says there is $gB but 2087Mb is reserved.

990FX mobos dont have onboard graphics.

i tried running one stick and get continuous 3 beeps. Doesnt matter where I put it. Will only work if I have 2 sticks either in the 1st/3rd slot or the 2nd/4th slot but still only shows slightly less than 2Gb available.

Edited by dihartnell

Your memory controller might be having issues. The three beeps is for memory incapability issues however it is strange that they only work as a pair so it's hard to rule them out as one of them being bust.

Try the sticks in another mobo and see if they register proberly both single and dual channel.

Then try some different sticks to see if they have the same issues in regards to not working and reserving memory.

LOL

3 beeps means the memory isnt liking that board....

it only shows 2gb because only 2gb is working... the stick causing the issue isnt working... but the NB shows something is populating that slot...make sense???

Give the CMOS a good clear.... put in the working stick and boot it... make sure the memory section is running the ram at its rated specs.... like timings and voltage... reboot check again... power off and add the other stic and then see if it shows up....if not you'll need a different kit of ram...

I have a kit of G-Skill that does that

LOL

3 beeps means the memory isnt liking that board....

it only shows 2gb because only 2gb is working... the stick causing the issue isnt working... but the NB shows something is populating that slot...make sense???

Give the CMOS a good clear.... put in the working stick and boot it... make sure the memory section is running the ram at its rated specs.... like timings and voltage... reboot check again... power off and add the other stic and then see if it shows up....if not you'll need a different kit of ram...

I have a kit of G-Skill that does that

Will try that later on. In mean time I also ordered some MUSHKIN REDLINE RIDGEBACK 8GB (2X4GB) DDR3-2133 CL9 (996997). Will try that also. Can always use one of the memory kits in my HTPC when I build that.