What is the best processor for a gaming pc?

benedie

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

any processor.. what matters at the end is the Videocard.

Buy a monster videocard and then a good processor. you dont need those processors like extreme or that.,

Benchmarks are benchmarks but when playing processor is using a little portion.. let's say 20-40% no more..

don't see that happening. but any way, I don't know what video card you're going to use, but here's an article on the cheapest cpu options you can use with the amd 7970

http://en.expreview.com/2012/01/15/what-cpu-does-radeon-hd-7970-need/20370.html

they found that you only gain 6% after 3.2ghz, and the i3 2120 was enough cpu. I'd still recommend quad core though, even if your particular games don't use it, other backround programs/services will.

Edited by Fight Game

any processor.. what matters at the end is the Videocard.

This is not 100% accurate, the video card is the real brute in FPS games but in RPG/MMO/RTS games the CPU is more important.

Right now the BEST CPU for gaming is the i5 2400/2500/2500K. The K if you want to overclock heavy and the 2400 or even straight 2500 if you do not plan to overclock or want a very mild overclock.

Sure this article is a little outdated but saying that the cpu don't matter much for gaming is a load of BULL!

also look at the last System builders marathon on toms. if that is not a bottleneck i don't know what is! Better gpus yet much lower performance

Stop recommending people to buy bulldozer if you are not telling them the whole story!

Edit: Sorry for sounding like a 12 year old fanboi but bulldozer will introduce a bottleneck in a gaming pc...

Edited by medbor

Yeah, it doesn't bottle neck the GPU. Faster CPUs MAY lead to higher frame rates. But that is because of the CPU and NOT the GPU.

Any reasonably recent quad core is more than enough for ANY gaming.