Anyone have a positive experience with Craigslist

pkilway

This weekend the wife told me that our daughter wanted to start taking piano lessons, which means we should probably buy a piano. After a look through the classifieds, we thought why not check Craigslist. The one hang up I have with Craigslist is all the bad coverage it's gotten for deals gone bad.

Bad press #1

Bad press #2

Bad press #3

And those were the first three links after googling "craigslist shooting".

I konw the basics, meet in daylight, meet at a crowded location, give the seller/buyer contact information to a friend (or possibly the ad). But does anyone have a positive experience with Craigslist? And it might be difficult to have the seller bring an upright piano to a shopping mall so we can purchase it from them.

I've sold stuff locally on Craigslist but only to people who attended the same university as me...so I had the security of knowing that they were students who were at least somewhat un-scary. :lol:

Everything else I've dealt with on Craigslist has been spam. :P

I actually just sold something today. I actually let the dude come to my house to try it out, even though I would usually meet them in a public place. It wasn't really the kind of thing you can test in public though, so meh.

I've had a few positive experiences with Craigslist as a seller. In fact, I just sold the asynchronous 90GB Corsair SSD today to buy a synchronous SSD. I never meet at my house; I always meet in a public place.

Edited by PremiumAcc

I have sold hundreds of things on Craigslist and while I have had some weird transactions and met some annoying people I have always walked away unharmed and with money. However, the thing that bothers me the most is that when I meet people about 1/3 of the time they try to low ball me on the spot thinking I will drop the price because we are face to face. I post in my adds now that all obo offers have to be prior to meeting or I will not sell the item

Also, there was a Craigslist murder about an hour south of where I live a year ago. They were all caught and sentenced to over a hundred years in prison. Doesn't help the family though.

http://www.columbian.com/news/2011/aug/29/4th-conviction-in-tacoma-in-craigslist-killing/