thinking about upgrading speakers

htaed

im looking to upgrade to a new set of speakers right now i got like a 4 or 5 year old set of yahmahas im thinking about upgrading to these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882780077 my current receiver only pushes about 680 watts max. im also just using my standard on-board audio. im just looking for some input if anyone knows anything about these speakers, also should i get a new sound card and receiver? from what i read these speakers will run on almost any receiver but was not sure if a new one will improve sound. i use these speakers for almost everything my xbox my pc for gaming movies and music. also looking at sound cards im confused whats the difference between these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829132019 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829132014 any help would be great thanks.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those sound cards, no difference since they are both the Xonar Essence ST. Why Newegg lists two, I have no idea.

Those Klipsch speakers are quite nice, and you shouldn't have any issue with your current receiver. If it can handle the 8 ohm Quintet SL system, you should be fine. You will need a subwoofer though, to help with the low ends.

Might I ask, why are you upgrading from a fairly recent set of Yamaha speakers?

im just looking to get some nicer sound im not getting rid of them i do plan on moving them into another room with an older receiver. also i was looking at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882780012 for a sub. so i should probably get one of those sound cards or do think it will be fine with a onboard not sure how big of a difference it will make, i never really was big into sound cards.

For those sound cards, no difference since they are both the Xonar Essence ST. Why Newegg lists two, I have no idea.

3 year vs lifetime warranty

@ Htead

What is the model of your receiver or can you give the RMS value @ ?ohms for each channel along with the range of speaker impedances it can output to.

Both sub and more so speakers are at a great price right now and are of high quality so they will make a very nice step up from your Yamahas

I do suggest stearing away from both of those soundcards. They are designed for headphones not for preouts to receivers especially 5.1ch ones.

The M-AUDIO Delta 1010LT 24-bit 96KHz represents a far better investment of money. As well as the potential for 7.1 RCA output if need be.

im not sure completely of the stats of the reciever here is the model htr-5835. also that m-audio how does that work? all cables dongled off those ports?

Edited by htaed

From what I can see your amp will be perfectly fine to power the new speakers.

The m-audio soundcard has dongles off the back from which you can connect all the cables you need and then more. It is designed for studio sound recording and as such is of high quality and has more connections than you will ever need/use.

However because it does have all these connections, you can use decent quality RCA cables from the RCA outs instead of using 3.5mm jacks split to left/right RCA inputs.

so am i better off running rca cables instead of using a high quality toslink cable? and that m-audio card does look nice i do have some midi stuff i could finally hook up with it haha.

You could use toslink and if you have the cables try using it from your mobo. Might save you ~$200 if you can output high enough quality sound without popping, hissing, crackling ect.

Play some songs, watch some movies ect to see what the quality is like. Then either download or make a silent cd/track to check for any interference that may be introduced by the mobo.

If you are unhappy with any of this I would definitely say try out the m-audio card, you should enjoy the using your midi gear. By the sounds of things you have done and played with sound recording at some point. Looks like this may be a good time to get back into it :D

You could look at cheaper soundcards especially some of the 24bit USB DACs with headphone amps. That way you can play your sounds back through decent quality headphones inclusive of ones with high impeadences. Most of them come with optical out as well as stereo RCA in out in the decent quality ones.

So if you want the high quality card I would say make a decision between high sq 5.1 and the ability to play around with your midi gear. Or sacrifice the usage of midi gear for a high quality headphone amp.

cool well thanks for the help everyone ill most defiantly order those speakers and look into a sound card in the future dont have enough cash for both. but the speakers are on sale for a great deal and i feel like i should grab them now.

For speakers, I got the M-Audio AV40's. You can't really buy a better active 2.0 system then that.

They are great but the guy already has a 6ch receiver and when a $1000 set of klipsch 5ch home theater speakers comes up for $500 with an additional $150 off it is hard to ignore.

Although he could possibly go with a different active sub. Depends what he wants but a 200watt rms klipsch sub is definately going to pack a punch while still delivering on sound quality also down from $400 to $200 I think.

Looks like klipsch may be coming out with its new series soon.