Worth building a new system soon?

Miek

My current system is in my signature.

I want to know if it'd be worthwhile to build a new rig soon. With my next rig, my intention is to go "balls to the wall", so to speak. :P As in, I don't plan to skimp on anything. I'd want it to be a totally high-performance rig. Or... Should I just stick with what I've got for a few more years, maybe?

It would depend on how much you want to spend, a "balls to the wall" system (IMO) would be 10K+.

Here would be my dream system, (just for fun)

CPU - i7-3960X WCed

Mobo - best I can get

Ram - 64GB or 32GB

GPU - 4-way 580GTX WCed

OCZ Revo drives for boot

9 3TB HDD for storage

Case - Mountain Mods Ascension

8 Cold cathodes

fill the case with Noctua fans

2 Klipish P-17B and a Klipish KW-120-THX Subwoofer

6 NEC Display Solutions MD213MG monitors

2 Strider ST1500 1500 watt PSUs

Edited by Black64

You're fine with what you have. What's your current CPU overclock? Another GTX 460 1GB and some overclocking will do wonders for games (beating an overclocked GTX 580), and a SSD for your OS and applications will make everything snappy.

You're fine with what you have. What's your current CPU overclock? Another GTX 460 1GB and some overclocking will do wonders for games (beating an overclocked GTX 580), and a SSD for your OS and applications will make everything snappy.

Totally agree.

Even if you still want more power, doing a simple 1155 board and an i5 2500K would do you wonders. But to go all out from a 1156 socket is a little unnecessary. Wait until Haswell or Broad Street; DDR4 and GDDR6 memory should be out before you would really need an upgrade.