Power Supply vs My Washing Machine

Hey Everyone,

Well for sometime as long as I can remember, I have had a computer in my room and as long as I remember this has happened with every computer I have had in the power point in the back of my room.

My laundry is next to my room and every time my washing machine spins a buzzing noise comes from my power supply. I didn't really mind with my old computer build seeing as it was old. but I just made a new build and I am worried something will happen to my new build or either my girlfriend as she is at home most of the day. and it would be dreadful if my room became alight.

Should I be worried?

What should I do to fix this issue?

I am pretty sure the washing machine broke my star lamp I just bought a couple of weeks ago also.

Its not a toploader either.

Anyway,

Help would be great and thank you.

Zashman :thumbsup:

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

plug a lamp in. in place of your pc and click the washer on flip the breaker that the washer is on if both go off then you have your answer. Also if you have to ask how to find out I don't think its a good idea for you to try and put a new breaker in.

Edited by capthowdy575

Your meter box systematically shut off circuits if one circuit shuts them both off then you know they are together.

Then there are a few things you can do with an extension cord from another room probably cheapest and easiest. Although you would want to work out why the washing machine spin cycle if affecting things so much.

Would this be damaging my computer?

As I do not have much of a knowledge of how circuits of a house works.

I have another powerpoint on the other side of the room, ill see tonight if it does the same thing and ill move my room around.

If not ill have to be running an extension cord or get an electrician in

Can you find out if they, the washing machine and pc, are running on the same circuit.

Edit zashman what country are you from? I'm baseing everything off of the USA as we run most things off 120v, if your in europe then most things run off of 220v but am unsure how they wire thing over there.

hopefully this is not true, the washing machine should be 220v and be on a double 20a breaker and look something like this

unnamed.jpg

1st thing i would do is unplug your computer and plug a lamp into where the computer was, next turn off the breaker to the washer. if the lamp goes out this is bad and you need to look into the wiring more. could be that they double tapped the outlets off one of the legs to the washer machine circut breaker. to make sure this is not happening you would have to take the cover panel off and make sure there is only one wire going to each screw on the breakers. if the lamp stays on i would move the computer to another outlet and try running the washer machine again and see if it happens again .

Edited by olokul

I live in australia,

I will have a look at all this when I get home tonight from work.

But I will test all this tonight,

Is it much different in australia

Depending how new your house is okulu should be spot on about the breakers although lots of houses are exceptions to what should be done.

It sounds a lot like they have saved on wire and time by using one power circuit for both rooms.

I would be trying to separate the circuits if possible maybe even a new one for your pc. Cheap if you know a sparky if not god help you :lol:

In my house dont tell the government I've done more than a bit of leet and lighting wiring leaving the ends for my uncle to hook into the meter box and sign off on.