adding a blu-ray player

bunkachunk

I want to add a internal 5.25" blu-ray player or burner, my question is, do I need software just to watch blu-ray movies? I have a gearhead dvd player/burner now and am using win. media player to watch my movies. I have nero 8 for burning dvd's. Thank's.......

Yes you do, and to my knowledge, none of the software is free to download. However, my Blu-Ray drive came with software to watch and burn BD's. The software has since broken somehow, and won't even play DVD's, but it had worked, and I'd assume most Blu-Ray drives come with similar limited versions of Blu-Ray playing software. Can't guarantee it of course, but I would think so. Anyone else know with greater certainty?

When I installed my LG Blu-ray it came with the Cyberlink Blu-ray software suite - great for playing actual purchased Bly-ray movie DVDs.

For all other movies, avi/mp4/mkv/etc, I bought the AVS4You multimedia suite - $59.95 for an unlimited license. AVS4You will play everything downloaded from the internet. It will also record video if you have the hardware. (www.avs4you.com) I originally bought the software because most won't properly play the .mkv (Matroska) format. Before buying AVS4You I was sold on Nero and I own Nero 11 but the AVS works better.

You can use VLC. It's free and can play most formats. Including Blu-ray.

Not Blu-Ray disks though. The current version 1.1.11 does not have disk playback capability but version 1.2 should. The current version can play the files on a BD, but that requires the files are first ripped from the disk and decrypted.

There is a way around this with a program called MakeMKV, but it is only a trial with 30 days of useability before you would have to pay for it. The instructions show it on a Mac, but there is a Windows version of the software.

Sorry Eco, but VLC isn't there yet, but I hope it will be there soon. It'll be nice to be able to play my BD's on my computer again.

Mine came with a version of power dvd also but I lost the disk or more likely it got stolen with all my other stuff. VLC does not play blu ray movies as of right now, I know I tried. I have tried a lot of other free software with no luck. I have thought about buying powerdvd again, but I don't watch that many movies on my comp now days.