Post your Keyboards!

El_Capitan

So, I've had/have a slew of keyboards recently:

Mechanical

Das Keyboard DASK3PROMS1 (855800001166) Black 104 Normal Keys USB Wired Standard Model S Professional Keyboard - Cherry MX Blue

- Possibly the best feeling for typing I've ever had. I don't even like loud keyboards, but the sound that emanates from pressing down on the keys is a delight to hear. I would almost say that it's a typists dream keyboard! You don't need a lot of force, and you'll get the "click" halfway pressed. Need to stress this, this is not a gaming keyboard. I'm pretty sure it would be horrible to play games on. The layout is more compact, so you don't need to move your fingers as far.

Thermaltake Tt eSPORTS MEKA G1 Mechanical Professional Gaming Keyboard 1000Hz Polling n-key Rollover KB-MEG005US (Black) - Cherry MX Black

- A great gaming keyboard. Key presses aren't too loud, and they feel good. The best overall mechanical keyboard, imo. Not the best in one category, but good all around. My only gripe is that the cables are threaded and thick, also a shorter cable length than most keyboards.

Rosewill Mechanical Keyboard RK-9000RE - Cherry MX Red

- Wow, not what I would expect from Rosewill. We'll see how the quality lasts, but I am very impressed with the cost. If you prefer light presses for gaming and typing, this is the keyboard to get! I type the fastest on this keyboard, even faster than the Das keyboard with Cherry MX Blue switches, which is used primarily for typing! I'm actually using this over the 7G and Meka G1, believe it or not. And it was bought for $79.99 during Black Friday.

steelseries 7G 64022SS Black 104 Normal Keys USB or PS/2 Wired Standard Professional Gaming Keyboard - Cherry MX Black

- A great gaming keyboard. Key presses are quieter than the Meka G1, and it feels better. However, keyboard layout, especially with the "\" and "Enter" key make it not as great for typing.

ABS M1 - Black Alps Copies

- A mediocre keyboard. I'd stay away.

Non-Mechanical

Logitech Illuminated Ultrathin Keyboard with Backlighting

- Probably my favorite non-mechanical keyboard. It's like typing on a laptop, you barely have to press a key to have it register. If you don't use a lot of force to type and have thick fingertips, then this is a perfect keyboard for gaming or typing.

I can't wait to try a Cherry MX Brown...

For those interested (a quickie introduction to MX switches):

First, there are three types of switches.

Linear - You pretty much have to "bottom out" on your key press for it to register a keypress.

Tactile - About halfway through your keypress, it will register the keypress, so you don't have to "bottom out".

Clicky - Makes a distinct click noise after each keypress no matter how softly you press down on the key.

Cherry MX Black (linear) = Gaming keyboards for those that prefer stiffer keypresses. Also decent for typing if you prefer stiffer keypresses.

Cherry MX Red (linear) = Gaming keyboards for those that prefer lighter keypresses. Also decent (or great) for typing if you prefer lighter keypresses. You don't have to "bottom out" as much as you would a Cherry MX Black.

Cherry MX Blue (tactile and clicky) = Typist keyboards that have tactile feedback and clicky noises. Not good for gaming.

Cherry MX Clear (linear and tactile) = A cross between a Cherry MX Black and a Cherry MX Blue. Usually a middle ground for gaming and typing for those that prefer stiffer keypresses.

Cherry MX Brown (linear and tactile) = A cross between a Cherry MX Red and a Cherry MX Blue. Usually a middle ground for gaming and typing for those that prefer lighter keypresses.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will post in your thread if you help me in mine hah. :P

Razor Blackwidow Ultimate (Mechanical - Cherry Mx Blue)

Good feel to the key presses, quite loud, first 3 brightness settings of the LED backlit show noticeable difference. Many people report getting a keyboard where some of the keys are too close together and require extra effort (or having to press directly in the center) to get the keyboard to recoginize a key press. Great keyboard though I can't say that I am crazy on the type of sound it makes. My next mechnical will probably be Cherry Mx Red/Black.

G110 (membrane)

Nice soft touch to each of the key presses - probably the softest and quietest keyboard I've had. The backlit is a little on the weak side. No real complaints, tho no wow factor either.

Logitech Illuminated Ultrathin Keyboard with Backlighting

Bought from Amazon Black Friday deal so waiting on shipment. If anyone needs a second opinion on this I will be able to provide it soon. Let me know though or I will just assume El_Capitan's review is enuff.

Other keyboards I've owned:

G11 (really nice tho LEDs faded quickly - but it being big was the biggest problem) and a couple Saitek keyboards (nice but also cheaply made).

Well I use a Saitek Eclipse and recently got a Creative Fatality Illuminated keyboard, haven't used it much yet though, I just have it around as an extra and to use on my work/test desk.

You seem to have used the range of mechanical switches out there, which of them would you say makes the least amount of noise? I've thought about getting a mechanical keyboard myself but I can't stand the noise and I haven't used any switches aside from the ones on the IBM Model M keyboards, which I think are buckling spring switches? Correct me if I'm wrong. The Model M was a bit too noisy for my liking though, so I'm just wondering if there are more quiet switches for mechanical keyboards.

I will post in your thread if you help me in mine hah. :P

Razor Blackwidow Ultimate (Mechanical - Cherry Mx Blue)

Good feel to the key presses, quite loud, first 3 brightness settings of the LED backlit show noticeable difference. Many people report getting a keyboard where some of the keys are too close together and require extra effort (or having to press directly in the center) to get the keyboard to recoginize a key press. Great keyboard though I can't say that I am crazy on the type of sound it makes. My next mechnical will probably be Cherry Mx Red/Black.

Same here. I really like the keyboard as well as the feel of the keys. I know my roommate hates the noise but I do not mind it at all :evilgrin: The number pad "6" key requires extra force the first time you hit it in a while but after the first press, it works like a champ. Very odd and I will look into why it does this later but for now I love this keyboard :thumbsup:

@ Deathmineral

The Cherry MX Red and Cherry MX Blacks are the quietest, but will still be louder than non-mechanical keyboards. You can type softer to have it make less noise, but you can also mod your keyboard to make it silent. The Steelseries I have is slightly quieter than the Thermaltake and Rosewill.

@ Deathmineral

The Cherry MX Red and Cherry MX Blacks are the quietest, but will still be louder than non-mechanical keyboards. You can type softer to have it make less noise, but you can also mod your keyboard to make it silent. The Steelseries I have is slightly quieter than the Thermaltake and Rosewill.

i got the 7g as well, nice keyboard but the letters faded to a dark grey within a week, and the shift and spacebar are really squeaky. i tried to get it rma'd, but the shipping costs almost as much as the kb did =/

My current keyboard of choice is my Deck Legend Ice.

deck105_ice.jpg

I also have sitting on the self a Thermaltake Meka and a Steelseries 7G. BTW both of those are AWESOME keyboards and the only reason the Deck won for me was the backlighting. I love gaming in a dark room so the screen really pops during gaming.

I can tell you since moving to fully time use of a mechanical keyboard I can use any of these and it is a joy. However when i go back to my old Sidewinder or my wife's Eclispe II I hate it, the keys feel mushy! Once you go mechanical going back SUCKS!

i got the 7g as well, nice keyboard but the letters faded to a dark grey within a week, and the shift and spacebar are really squeaky. i tried to get it rma'd, but the shipping costs almost as much as the kb did =/

Almost all mechanical keyboard letters will fade pretty quickly with use. I'll see how the Das and Rosewill keys hold up, but I'm pretty sure it will be the same.

My current keyboard of choice is my Deck Legend Ice.

deck105_ice.jpg

I also have sitting on the self a Thermaltake Meka and a Steelseries 7G. BTW both of those are AWESOME keyboards and the only reason the Deck won for me was the backlighting. I love gaming in a dark room so the screen really pops during gaming.

I can tell you since moving to fully time use of a mechanical keyboard I can use any of these and it is a joy. However when i go back to my old Sidewinder or my wife's Eclispe II I hate it, the keys feel mushy! Once you go mechanical going back SUCKS!

That Deck looks awesome! It makes me wonder, will the letterings fade over time? If the backlight shines through the keys, I can't imagine the lettering fading.

My only gripe with the Deck is that if you're going to have an FN key, have it on the left side and not the right side of the spacebar. Minor gripe, that, though.

I have to say, there really isn't much options go as far as mechanical keyboards and backlighting go. I should submit my wishlist to each of the keyboard manufacturers and see which one makes it first. :P

Same here. I really like the keyboard as well as the feel of the keys. I know my roommate hates the noise but I do not mind it at all :evilgrin: The number pad "6" key requires extra force the first time you hit it in a while but after the first press, it works like a champ. Very odd and I will look into why it does this later but for now I love this keyboard :thumbsup:

See if your '6' key is bumping up with another key.