[Q] Thoughts on the AsRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3?

Hello everyone!

Im going to upgrade my desktop in a few days and i would like to know what you guys think of the AsRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3?

I would like to read your opinions on Asrock boards specially this one since i hear bad things about asrock by my friends at work!

I warn you that im not an expert on this kind of stuff. By my hand this is my first build so sorry if any dumb questions come along!

Thank you very much for any reply given!

PS: Tjj dont think im doubting you! i just created this thread to get some opinions! :lol:

Edited by Palmaaa

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love my ASRock Board. There have been a few posts recently about ASRock comparisons. Performance/price wise it is competetive with the rest of the "BIG" manufacturers. You dont hear alot of negatives about quality or reliability but there are a few who have had some negative experience. Ive used all the major names at one point or another in my Hardware Building Forays over the last 13 years. ASRock has taken a step up the last few years in the Performance Board category and I decided to try them. So far My ASRock Fatality Pro Gen 3 is performing wonderfully. I very much like the new UEFI and I just Turbo 4.6 the bios for an everyday OC. Its also ready for an IVY cpu if I want, down the road.

Okay, now you can get some Negatives from people. :cheers:

So do you think that the Z68 extreme3 is a good board? the build im making is :

Core i5 2500k

EVGA GTX560 ti

Corsair vengeance 1600Mhz 2x4GB CL9

AsRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3

I just want to be sure i wont have any problems later with this board!

Thank you very much for your reply!

Have you done any homework on the board? I recall reading a Mobo test where the Extreme 3 was included in a shoot-out review on Tom's Hardware. There are also several other test sites that have done a review.

I would suggest you type in "ASRock Extreme 3 Review" on one search engine or another and read up some. If you are not wanting to do any Extreme OC you should be fine with the board. You can probably get 4.6 ghz out of it or something close with your 2500k.

There's not too many reviews of the extreme 3 but it is basically a carbon copy of the extreme 4 they have just cut down some data connections and USB 3.0 connections. If your struggling for reviews on the extreme 3 there are an abundance of reviews user and otherwise of the extreme 4.

Ill just go with it! I bet im going to be really happy with it, and I guess that asrock boards arent really that bad! For anyone interested here are the links to other sites i visited:

- http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?275119-Why-no-love-for-the-Asrock-Z68-Extreme3-Gen3

- http://www.overclock.net/t/1099829/asrock-z68-extreme3-gen3

- http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1630439

- http://www.overclock.net/t/1090163/preview-caught-in-between-the-2-extremes-the-asrock-e3-and-e7-gen3-z68-mobos

Hope it is useful for anybody!

I've never used an ASRock board because quite frankly they used to have a bad reputation but things change and by all accounts they are very close, maybe even up there with the best, with their high end boards?

To be honest i just recently been into this kind of stuff (knowing boards, GPU, technologies, etc..) and i never heard bad things about asrock but for what i read they are getting better and better since they separated from ASUS, am i right?

I haven't used an ASRock P or Z board yet, but I've been very happy with their socket 1366 high performance boards. I personally wouldn't hesitate to use another board from the Rock. I'm still using an ASRock socket 775 board in my HTPC and it's a great solid board, even on the lower end of their pricing scale. Point being I think you should go for it :)

You'll be hard pressed to beat the price to performance/feature ratio when compared to the other "big" names.

Yeah you never know what you can come up with! :)

Ok my mind is settled! When the board gets in stock im going to get it! :)

Thank you all for the help and support! Appreciate every reply!

Edited by Palmaaa