Water cooling question

Boinker

Hey guys. I am putting together a Special Chipset cooler for my Asus P6T7 WS motherboard. I'm going to be Cooling my chipset and the Processor off of one loop. I can go either with the chipset First and then the Processor or visa verse. Mind you this motherboard has a monster of a chipset that runs hotter than hell. Taming this beast of a motherboard is not happening on air with a reasonable noise level so I have turned to this solution. Much less with a pair or trio of GTX 480s over it. It will have to cool the Two NF200 chips, the NB, SB and the chipset (yes chipset) mosfets and power controllers and of course my I7 920 DO @ 4.20 Ghz or better being my goal. I am in the process of making a couple of heat sinks for the Processors Mosfets so please dont worry, They will be covered by custom designed heat sinks and or Thermalright Chipset solutions. The ram mosfets is defiantly getting a custom one though as it is extra special. (see to the right of the ram slots)

Please bare in mind that the water pump itself will be mounted inside the res so it is one component. The pump is an MCP655 with adjustable pump head speed, the Processor block is a Swiftech Apogee XT, the radiator will be a Swiftech MCR QP 240 radiator or a Black Ice steath 360 radiator, the cooling fans I have not decided yet. I think I am going for some Scythe 75CFM PWM fans so the motherboard can handle the fan controlling with a power outlet signal line separator.

Basically the two set-ups I have to choose from are these

Pump - chipset - processor - raidiator -res

Pump- Processor - chipset - radiator - res

I'm curious as to will there be an adverse effect of having the chipset in front of the Processor or the Processor in front of the chipset. I'm also Curious if the poor dual 120 rad I have on hand can handle the stress of the proc and CPU. I have had good results in the past with this radiator but I fear I will be stressing its outer limits.

Thanks in advance for the replies and help given,

Boinker.

P.S. Here is a photo of the beast

DSCF1212.JPG

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Use whichever set-up that involves the shortest runs of tube possible, IMHO. The tighter you can keep the loop and the faster you can get that water flowing the better. Same goes with rad and fans I will always choose a high flow rad with larger fan spacings, so I can get the highest rates of change - the flow of water through it and the air past it too.

I don't see how going wither way, is going to adversely effect either because end of the day they will reach a sort of equilibrium, although you know this already.

Nice pump you got there too :thumbsup: going into my feb b-day build

Also damn that pic is big when I opened it up and on a 1920x1080 res, all I saw at first was the top quarter, only just getting the cpu on screen :lol:

Oh your cooling your chipset. Where is Waco. He loves people cooling chip sets.

CPU to Chip or Chip to CPU, There is not that much difference between the too in setup, maybe .5c if you change them around.

I would go with both the 240 & 360 rad for cooling it, just that 1 rad i would say will not be enough, so you might want to put both of them in. You can never have a big enough rad.

That would be an interesting routing method for two radiators. I would like to get away with using one though so I will have too see about that. Would be interesting if the I7 Plus the Chooser put out Moe then the stealth radiator could handle. Lol

Ill remember to scale the photos down. LOL I dont plan on doing the video cards. Too much money involved there to spend and along with that the 480 blocks are getting scarce. Hopefully this will keep everything cool on the motherboard front. LOL.

Hmm I think that may just be some naming convention confusion or something. If it fits 3x 120mm fans then it's called a 360 rad...at least thats what I call it. A 320 is probably the same just named different.

I believe the back two numbers just define how think the radiator is. The xspc rx360 is about 3 fans deep so they name it a 360. The swiftech mcr320 is as thick as one 120mm fan. I think that is how they define them though it may just be coincidence. LOL, idk. But it is all speculation from here. The question is will the radiator be able to handle it. I have heard tale one video card and a processor can be taken care of by a mcr320 with overclocks. The question is will it handle a chipset or not.

most you want to stay away with , the mcr320 is a quiet power one. i used it on a HUGE loop and its now sitting in a bin with parts. it worked very well on my C2Q setup giving it 1.7V+ and still cooolin my 8800GTS

the thinner parts allow less water to pass through as quickly

i was lookin @ the MCR320 and it looks like it has some bent fins :( i would of just sent it to you to try if it had looked better, im not trying to be the cause of your systems destruction lol

I much appreciate the off cirro. If I do buy it off you please trust that it will go through a long test of leak proofing. I can't wait for my radiator to get here So I can strip the paint off and throw a greasy coat of paint on it. Lol