Getting Started

HitBoxMaster

Hello folks. I'm a total noob in overclock. I want to become a connoisseur of the subject. My main reason to do it is that I don't have enough money to spare to buy top-line components, and have to use a little more modest components and I would like to extract the very last bit of juice out of them.

So i bought a PC last month that fitted my budget. I bought with some serious help, both from the vendor and from my cousin because I'm too not very knowing of which component goes better with which. My PC is a:

PII X4 840 processor

Mainboard MSI NF725M-P43

2 memory cards, 2Gb DDR3 each with Max. Band 667 MHz and a

Radeon HD5670 GPU

My main doubts are those

1) First and foremost, my computer can successfully be overclocked, so I get a better performance at games?? Because in games like AC 2 and Borderlands, if I don't put the quality of everything from mid to low on AC 2 and turn off the shadows in Borderlands, I barely make it to 30 fps and on high demand moments, sometimes I even get 8 to 10 fps.

2) The performance of the CPU interfere in any manner in the visual and 3D performance, i.e. a overclocked CPU can make render and 3D features more efficient and faster??

3) The Overheat Bogeyman . The question here is how critical is a good cooling system?? I only have the fan that pulls the air from outside the PC cabinet and a fan on top of the processor.

1. You need to have a good CPU cooler for OCing(not sure what your using). Also your low frame rates are because of your GPU. I would upgrade it.

2.Yes

3. Depends on your case, your hardware, your ambient temps, how high your OC is and how much demand is on your pc. But if you want to OC then it's highly recommended.

I know that but I can't upgrade my GPU right now. Money is short. Here in Brazil, things like those are sold almost 3x the original price due to importation costs, so, right now, I can't. What could I do with this GPU, I mean by means of overclock, so I get better FPS. I know and already did lowered the game specs.

I tried to do this through MSI Afterburner and the CCC but no matter what, I always get a black screen in games and benchmarks. Plus, according to this -> http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/sapphire_hd5670_1gb/6.htm , I should be able to put bigger values than 850 through the afterburner, but i'm not, and the clock speed, in the catalyst, I'm limited to 950 and in the afterburner, to 870. Any opinions??

Check out this site ,it gives some good info at oc'ing that cpu, but remember to monitor your temps , if it is getting too hot drop your oc down a bit. this site brought it up to 3.7 no problem but every cpu id different in terms of how high it will go.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Phenom-II-X4-840-CPU-Review/1195/15

Check out this site ,it gives some good info at oc'ing that cpu, but remember to monitor your temps , if it is getting too hot drop your oc down a bit. this site brought it up to 3.7 no problem but every cpu id different in terms of how high it will go.http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Phenom-II-X4-840-CPU-Review/1195/15

I do. I got PC-Tweaker and Speed Fan monitoring the CPU temp and the Afterburner monitoring the GPU temp

Is a 5670 meant to be that weak? Sounds like my IGP but a bit better... and a lot worse that my Mobility 5650...

I know, right??

Folks, my main problem here is the GPU. Anyone have comments on how to overclock that, without getting that black screen?? Ask anything you see necessary and I will answer.

Edited by HitBoxMaster

I know, right??

Folks, my main problem here is the GPU. Anyone have comments on how to overclock that, without getting that black screen?? Ask anything you see necessary and I will answer.

What are your temps of the GPU and ambient? And what brand do you have?

Edited by Black6464

I do. I got PC-Tweaker and Speed Fan monitoring the CPU temp and the Afterburner monitoring the GPU temp

I know, right??

Go 10 mhz at the time and test stability with furmark, if you get any weird rendering go back a little.

Monitor your temps with hwmonitor, and make sure cpu don't go over 65 adn gpu not over 80, if they do that at stock i would chech the inside of the computer for dust buildup.

What are your temps of the GPU and ambient? And what brand do you have?

Even at 100% of usage, I rarely get to over 52° C (125° F) with my GPU and normally here, in Rio de Janeiro at this time of the year, between 20-35° C (77-95° F).

What do you mean by "brand"?? I have both CPU-Z and GPU-Z. What I look for on them??

Edited by HitBoxMaster

Even at 100% of usage, I rarely get to over 52° C (125° F) with my GPU and normally here, in Rio de Janeiro at this time of the year, between 20-35° C (77-95° F).

What do you mean by "brand"?? I have both CPU-Z and GPU-Z. What I look for on them??

That is not bad for temps. By brand I mean is it a XFX, Gigabyte, Powercolor...etc