Upcoming build - critique needed

Mombo

From what I have read the A70 should be better the the 212+ because it has slightly bigger copper tubes which should be able to handle more heat. Although the 212+ has a better fan. BUT I was thinking about buying some new 120mm fans and it I up'd the CFM fans that come on the A70 then it would perform even better.... Plus the copper tubing seems to be closer together on it. Which there is the new 212 evo that just came out that fixes that but still the size is larger on the A70.

As for the MSI 570 the reviews for it on NCIX are pretty good making think that it would have been a great buy at 250 for a 570 plus a free game but damn the reviews on newegg hit it pretty hard and it is kind of putting me off a bit on it. Def gonna have to think about it and read a bit more on it.

My current plan for Case and HS fans are this - 4x Scythe Slip Stream Kaze Jyuni 33db 88CFM for the case and 2x Scythe Slip Stream Kaze Jyuni 37db 110CFM for the HS/F.............Not sure how loud that will be maybe I should take them a step down and do the 88s on the HS and the 69CFM@24db on the case.

Not saying the fans are bad but as you yourself pointed out it's going to get loud.

If your just going to step them down why not get the cheaper slipstream 900rmp instead still pushes 40cfm.

I you set that up push pull on hs and case you'll get plenty of airflow and cooling and very low audibility. Coupled with rubber mounts you will have a very nice and quiet cooling solution.

I would buy those fans if scythe had Aussie retailers I have been struggling to find them.

Also whichever hs you go look at getting something like the corsair vengeance low profile memory so it clears the hs and fans.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya I already grabbed some gskill memory but I am pretty sure it will have clearance. They arnt to big. Well the fans that come on the A70 are 67CFM and the ones that come on the 212+ are 80CFM so I dont want to go below that on my HS but for the case fans it might be smart to get the quiet ones.

edit - Ive decided to switch the HS fans to Blade Master 120's because they have much higher static pressure then the slip streams but cost a bit more I think I might stick with the slipstreams for the case though since they cost less.

Edited by Mombo

Ya I already grabbed some gskill memory but I am pretty sure it will have clearance. They arnt to big. Well the fans that come on the A70 are 67CFM and the ones that come on the 212+ are 80CFM so I dont want to go below that on my HS but for the case fans it might be smart to get the quiet ones.

edit - Ive decided to switch the HS fans to Blade Master 120's because they have much higher static pressure then the slip streams but cost a bit more I think I might stick with the slipstreams for the case though since they cost less.

They are a pretty good fan, I run the single blademaster fan that comes stock on my 212+ and temps run only a few degrees above ambient with it reaching only 30C at most normally. Bare in mind I have a decent bit of air in and out of my case too.

I decided to buy the CM Hyper 212+ over the A70. I also decided on the fans I will buy to replace the ones I currently have. I am going with 4 Scythe 33db 88CFM fans for the case and 1 extra CM Blade Master 120 for the other side of the HS. I also nabbed one of those 4 port fan controllers and I am going to use it to control the noise levels. I figure I can get the 88's and if they are loud I can just turn em down and then I have the extra if I ever need it.

Now really my final decision has to be which GPU to get. I wish the fail rates on those MSI 570's weren't so bad all the bad reviews are pretty scary. That would have only been 250 bucks for that one on NCIX. Compared to the EVGA one that is 330 :( :(

Afraid of getting stuck with RMA shipping fees back and forth...some people have had to ship it back 2 times....jesus..

My friend is using the 560 and he is playing BF3's beta on ultra without trouble it seems...... Maybe need to consider a 560Ti or something.

Edited by Mombo

Mombo, if you're leaning towards a nVidia based GPU and don't mind buying factory recertified, check out the eVGA B-Stock offerings. There are several of us around here that have tried it out and for the most part I'd say it's worked out well.

Availability is hit and miss though. As of this morning they are all sold out of GTX 560 / 570 / 580 cards, but keep an eye out and they will come back again. Kind of depends on how long you are going to wait to put the whole thing together.

http://www.evga.com/products/prodlist.asp?switch=20

The 90 day warranty scares me a little but I guess it comes down to the savings I get. If I put the card through it paces during the first 90 I would probably know if its gonna last or not I guess. It says 90 days limited warranty though anyone know the exclusions? Or is it the normal stuff like not covered if you give it to your dog to chew on but covered if it goes bad under standard use?

If it went bad under standard use they would exchange it with another refurb. Non-standard would be silly things like dropping it in a pan of boiling water, your dog chewing it up, using the board as a substitute piece of toilet paper etc. :)

I'm of the old school that if it's electronic it will work, or........ not work from the get go. And if something were seriously wrong it would certainly manifest itself in 90 days.

But like I said earlier, its probably a moot point since they are out of stock. But just wanted to give you another option to consider. I work in factory authorized electronics refurbishment, so I'm not afraid of B-Stock or re-certified depending on the brand name and who is actually doing the factory service. Still you have to thoughtfully weigh the risk against the cost savings and decide how sensitive you are to those factors.

Ya I have refocused my attention to looking for headphones and a sound card now. I am going to let the GPU decision sit for a bit so I can decide I am thinking about the evga b-stock stuff now. My main thing holding me from just saying yes to the 570 is the price. The MSI 570 has a excellent price on it at around 280 after rebate but the reviews on it are just horrid and scares me from it. Where the EVGA ones have excellent reviews.

Feel free to join my hunt for the right setup for my audio though :) I am having troubles over there as well.

http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.php?showtopic=187698&st=0&gopid=1960146entry1960146

@fogel sorry I didn't check to see if things were in stock but even if they are not, it is still a possibility that can be looked into. I live in aus and don't exactly know a vast majority of different us computer hardware stores. So I cant really recommend specific pricing or availability past newegg, however can make suggestions on what the performance/price differences usually are.

nothing to apologize over :)

i just know it is frustrating when people recommend stuff to you that is not in stock and is rarely in stock so you spend all your time looking everyday, multiple times each day waiting to get back in stock and it doesn't till you get something else.

Ya I have refocused my attention to looking for headphones and a sound card now. I am going to let the GPU decision sit for a bit so I can decide I am thinking about the evga b-stock stuff now. My main thing holding me from just saying yes to the 570 is the price. The MSI 570 has a excellent price on it at around 280 after rebate but the reviews on it are just horrid and scares me from it. Where the EVGA ones have excellent reviews.

http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.php?showtopic=187698&st=0&gopid=1960146entry1960146

EVGA's B-stock has been sold out since like July. Which is actually a good thing - it means they aren't being flooded with returns and constantly churning out refurbs despite their high sale rate.

Oh and don't forget to check out Amazon as you price shop - it is on sale for $330 with an additional $15 off on rebate (+Batman game). Definitely not $289 with 2 free games like the MSI but Amazon does sell it cheaper at times - have to check this stuff daily because they tend to sell out quick like on the really good deals.

Edited by Fogel

Ya the price difference between the MSI and EVGA kills me but I know the EVGA's are just a solid choice and worth the extra....just hard to stomach atm

Edit: Alright new info - I am putting in an order tomorrow. I am getting some new headphones some refurbished Sennheiser HD380 pro's. For my computer I am putting in the order for 4 Scythe Slipstreams for case fans 1 CM Blademaster 120 to go on the other side of my Hyper 212+ and I am ordering the Hyper 212+ as well tomorrow.

I also am getting a small Sunbeam Rheobus Fan controller. To control all the fans I am putting in there. I am getting the 88 cfm case fans so just in case they are a bit loud I can turn em down but then I have some head room just in case the temps get outta control.

I think I have made my final choices on the remaining parts I am just going to wait around for a few weeks and watch the prices now.

Mobo - ASRock Extreme 4 GEN3

GPU - EVGA GTX 570 (reference cooling)

HD - 2x750gb WD Black

CPU - Intel i5 2500k (of course)

Edited by Mombo

• 2 weeks later...

Alright big order day today.

I now added a new case to my project.....lol.....

Going to be getting a bunch of stuff next week...... Today I went ahead and pulled the trigger on everything below

Corsair Obsidian 650

ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen 3

Intel i5 2500k

CM Hyper 212+

CM Blade Master 120 x1

Scythe Slip Stream 88cfm x1

CM Megaflow 200MM Red Case Fan x2

Noctua NT-H1

Plan is to take out the bottom HD rack out of the 650 case and install the 2 Megaflows in for better air flow and less noise. Plus just better quality fans. Also I dont want to have much light in the case and almost all of my parts are completely black plus inside of the case is black so I think the hint of red from those 2 fans will look nice.

Blade Master 120 will go on the Hyper 212+ and the Scythe Slip Stream is for the back of the case there is room for 1 back there.

Well other then that things I have already received are the

GSkill 2x4gb 1600 ram

Sunbeam Fan controller to keep all those fans nice and quiet.

Creative Labs Titanium X-FI HD

Sennheiser 380 Pro's

PCP&C 750w Silencer

Last but not least the 2 things left I need to order are

WD Black 750gb x 2 For a Raid 0 setup

And a GTX 570 when I find a good deal on one....I wish they would just take Batman off and do a 50 dollars off the card deal :) They wont of course but I wish. Im afraid if the take Batman off they wont have another offer to back it up with and ill be stuck with nothing :( ...The risks of waiting I guess.