Upcoming build - critique needed

Mombo

I would go with an Asus board and go with a gen 3 ready z68 board. Then I would not get a second hard drive, but instead get a small ssd for caching using SRT tech. To save money don't go with a 570 video card. I have a GTS 450 card superclocked edition and it runs really well for games, and plays at the resolution you are looking at. The new card that is meant to sort of replace it is the 550 and is supposed to do really well. A single card is supposed to be able to run a lot of games at max settings with decent results and newer games with out the same settings, but its still playable. However, because of its price point ( and I am sure you can find them on sale), I would get two and put them in SLI. You get relativity the same performance for up to 100 dollars off. Use that hundred dollars and spend it on a quality Mobo. Already this sort of a setup, will drastically decrease load times and will still give you a very playable and intense graphics experience. Lastly I would look up Microcenter. You have to live close to an actual location for it to work, however they sell processors really cheap due to a partnership they have with processor companies, but this could save you about 50 dollars or you could use the money and upgrade to an i7.

Please give me criticism I am very interested to see what every one else thinks.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't agree with the 550 at all.

- GTX 460 to get by with a great card till new video cards come out with the intent of upgrading to Nvidia's/ATI's newer architecture

- GTX 460 SLI - cheapest SLI i would go

- 6950 if you feel like taking a chance on find one/two that can be unlocked ...could be the best price/performance ratio of all choices

- ...or, GTX 560ti if going single card solution in the $250 price range

- GTX 570 if going single card solution in the $300-$320 price range

- GTX 460 to get by with a great card till new video cards come out with the intent of upgrading to Nvidia's/ATI's newer architecture

- 6950 if you feel like taking a chance on find one/two that can be unlocked ...could be the best price/performance ratio of all choices

Edited by Tjj226_Angel

See the other reason to get a cheap gaming card is PCI 3.0 is here and its out in the market. How long until we see graphics cards for the next gen of PCI??? Its more prudent to conserve funds now and get ready to upgrade in the Q1 of 2012. At least that is what I would do, and then you can buy the 570 equivalent in PCI 3.0 configuration for maximum future proofing. If nothing else it is something to consider.

Edited by Tjj226_Angel