GPU overheating, revisited

Brutality

So it happened again... suddenly temps went crazy while folding and fan sped up, to no avail... managed to stop the folding before it hit 90*C again... pure luck again, that I am in front of the PC while this happens..

So I decided to investigate this issue... Opened GPU folding again... temps rose very fast.. I watched the fan speed as the core temp of the gpu grew... as it reached 89*C the fan speed was at 43%...

Next run.. I manually set the fan speed as high as I found comfortable (since the fan had been complaining once in a while, I felt 60% was enough - afraid it would fall apart if I put it higher lol)

NOTE: the folding console gave me an UNSTABLE_MACHINE warning and ended the work unit, and gave me a new one.

The temps still grew fast, and normally.. temps don't go higher than 69*C (on auto fan speed)... so seeing temps above 70*C is abnormal to me... As u can see in the attached image, it performed better, but over time, I bet it would go 90+

The interesting part of this is.. if I restart the computer... the issue goes away.. so I find this very odd, I've been updating drivers each time this happened (and obviously, I thought the driver update helped.. but really.. after a system restart the problem "vanishes"... for a while)

I have no clue what this is all about...

post-68353-0-89135100-1317215803_thumb.png

So it happened again... suddenly temps went crazy while folding and fan sped up, to no avail... managed to stop the folding before it hit 90*C again... pure luck again, that I am in front of the PC while this happens..

So I decided to investigate this issue... Opened GPU folding again... temps rose very fast.. I watched the fan speed as the core temp of the gpu grew... as it reached 89*C the fan speed was at 43%...

Next run.. I manually set the fan speed as high as I found comfortable (since the fan had been complaining once in a while, I felt 60% was enough - afraid it would fall apart if I put it higher lol)

NOTE: the folding console gave me an UNSTABLE_MACHINE warning and ended the work unit, and gave me a new one.

The temps still grew fast, and normally.. temps don't go higher than 69*C (on auto fan speed)... so seeing temps above 70*C is abnormal to me... As u can see in the attached image, it performed better, but over time, I bet it would go 90+

The interesting part of this is.. if I restart the computer... the issue goes away.. so I find this very odd, I've been updating drivers each time this happened (and obviously, I thought the driver update helped.. but really.. after a system restart the problem "vanishes"... for a while)

I have no clue what this is all about...

Have you tried dropping into safe mode and cleaning the drivers out (using a driver sweep program), then doing a re-install the latest drivers?

Have you tried dropping into safe mode and cleaning the drivers out (using a driver sweep program), then doing a re-install the latest drivers?

Done that now. Will report back if the problem occurs again.. I can't really force it :/

i work on alot of gamers computers that actually have accumulated dust on the bottom or inbetween the fanblades.

the fans on cards dont really push much air into the card (hence how fast/loud they can get)

with cleaning even a somewhat small amount of dust i was able to achieve way better temps on most the cards

my CPU temp goes way down when i reset too after doing mad number crunching.. i think if anything

its more of a "im not using you, so your going to cool down quickly"

my gpu can break 100c easily with games if i don't have my gpufan > 70% in less than 2 minutes

i have it 24-7 @ 89.5% just so i don't have to mess with it,or worry about the temps.

you get used to hearing a vacuum cleaning in your case. lol

Brutality you should link your old post for those that haven't allready seen it but I think you should consider looking for an upgrade. As the gpu should still be pretty well clean as you've only resently blown out dust and reset it's heatsync.

That coupled with the fan issues.

yeah. things like re-seating your heatsink are crucial

an upgrade? thats kind of silly. saying an upgrading is the only reason means that folding before his videocard would be kinda pathetic considering his results. there is something obviously wrong with his setup

it would just suck to go get a new card and then realize the same issue somewhat persists. i mean of course a faster card would handle anything better. but it might also produce more heat which his setup might be sensitive.

how old is the card? any warranty?

\

meh im just going to find the old thread.

-edit- i just realized your OC"ing a card and trying to bump its fan speed by like 10% for it.

why wouldnt you max a fan out at a high OC, thats like finding the weakest you can cool something

when its already busting its own balls?

Here's the thread I was referring to:

http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.php?showtopic=187055&st=0&p=1951157&fromsearch=1entry1951157

As seen in the thread, I have cleaned and reseated the heatsink.

I'm not overclocking the card, it's at stock...

The card is 1½-2 years old, warranty ran out.

aaaaaaand it happened again.. so it wasn't a driver issue.

Brut,

After all this time I think your card is due for an aftermarket cooling solution :)

Hit up dr_bowtie, I think he has a Zalman VF1000 he might be willing to part with.

Hmph... I'd rather upgrade to get ready for TES: Skyrim... unless an 5870 can handle max gfx settings at 1920x1200 resolution.

EDIT: also something interesting; after the "heat-bug" the idle temp becomes 65*C, instead of 36*C, which is normal (and can be achieved by rebooting...) see attachments

But.. how is a better cooler going to fix this, when it can have higher temps at a higher fan speed, than before the heat-bug... and the gpu is doing nothing (0% gpu usage)... I really don't understand this heat-bug, nor do I have any clue as to how to fix it.

EDIT2:

Either way wevsspot, as always, if I need some item, I always want the best :P

In case I need not upgrade the 5870... Isn't the Arctic Cooling Accelero Xtreme Plus the best gpu cooler?

According to this:

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/arctic_cooling_accelero_xtreme_plus/4.htm

it is... but it's 1 year ago =p

post-68353-0-21652200-1317314766_thumb.png

post-68353-0-90499200-1317314778_thumb.png

Edited by Brutality

EDIT: also something interesting; after the "heat-bug" the idle temp becomes 65*C, instead of 36*C,

The gpu reaches 90c and the sys is rebooted. The gpu is going to be still hot. On restart the fan may operate on idle speed so that the cooling occuring is minimal. Try to shut down for about one hour to let the gpu cool down and then see what the idle temp reads, or when the sys is shut down for the night see what the morning start-up temp is. Alternately let the sys stay idle when at 65c and see if the temp drops after about one hour.

The gpu reaches 90c and the sys is rebooted. The gpu is going to be still hot. On restart the fan may operate on idle speed so that the cooling occuring is minimal. Try to shut down for about one hour to let the gpu cool down and then see what the idle temp reads, or when the sys is shut down for the night see what the morning start-up temp is. Alternately let the sys stay idle when at 65c and see if the temp drops after about one hour.

You misunderstood me, sorry for bad wording;

If I don't restart, then the idle temp will become that high, but as soon as I restart, the system behaves normally.

If I don't restart, then the idle temp will become that high, but as soon as I restart, the system behaves normally.

If the fan is going out it's entirely possible that it won't run properly after it's been hot - and a power cycle re-balances the fan or something (since most cards do a quick fan test when starting up).

I'd just toss an aftermarket cooler on it to avoid the headaches you're running into. Bowtie is an awesome seller, btw, if you're hesitant to buy something from him. :cheers: