win 7 start in 57 sec with kingston hyperx 240g ssd

chenzhong

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It depends on far too many variables for that to be a reliable measure of anything.

For example - the more hardware you have, the more drivers you load, the longer it will take. Any hard drives in the system that need spun up on boot can slow it down as well.

I have two SSDs in RAID 0 and they are FAST...but my boot times are long because I have a shitton of hardware in my system and the initialization takes a while when loading Windows (39 seconds from the first time I see the Windows logo to everything loaded at the desktop). Does that mean my SSDs are slow? Not at all. It means I'm loading a ton of stuff so it takes longer.

My EeePC, a pretty simple (and slow) machine boots in less than 20 seconds from Windows logo to fully logged in. The SSD in it is very slow, doesn't support TRIM, and isn't even running SATA. It's a cheap 32 GB A-Data ATA SSD stick. It's fast because my EeePC doesn't load much of anything on boot and it has very simple hardware and drivers.

Short story - your SSD benchmarks well so there's clearly nothing wrong with it. Your OS loads slightly slower than some but that doesn't mean there's anything wrong.

Edited by Waco

It depends on far too many variables for that to be a reliable measure of anything.

For example - the more hardware you have, the more drivers you load, the longer it will take. Any hard drives in the system that need spun up on boot can slow it down as well.

I have two SSDs in RAID 0 and they are FAST...but my boot times are long because I have a shitton of hardware in my system and the initialization takes a while when loading Windows (39 seconds from the first time I see the Windows logo to everything loaded at the desktop). Does that mean my SSDs are slow? Not at all. It means I'm loading a ton of stuff so it takes longer.

My EeePC, a pretty simple (and slow) machine boots in less than 20 seconds from Windows logo to fully logged in. The SSD in it is very slow, doesn't support TRIM, and isn't even running SATA. It's a cheap 32 GB A-Data ATA SSD stick. It's fast because my EeePC doesn't load much of anything on boot and it has very simple hardware and drivers.

Short story - your SSD benchmarks well so there's clearly nothing wrong with it. Your OS loads slightly slower than some but that doesn't mean there's anything wrong.

ok thank you for the insight.i understand now.dam ssd does not really worth the cost.

ok thank you for the insight.i understand now.dam ssd does not really worth the cost.

If all you're searching for is boot times then no...because sleep mode effectively makes HDDs just as fast as SSDs when coming out of sleep.

In normal use an SSD as a boot drive is INSANELY faster than a HDD even with light loads. If you measure boot times including the startup of all your programs on your desktop then an SSD is much faster than a HDD...but if you measure just till you see the desktop you won't see much difference.

In terms of usability, program load and install times, etc, SSDs make such a huge difference I can't stand to use a regular HDD as a boot drive any more. It's that much of a difference.

Wow - IMHO that's a really shortsighted declaration. Might be true for some users if your definition of worth is based solely on boot times. Honestly, who buys any hard drive based solely on boot times......................

Boot times have been held entirely too long as the holy grail for overall system performance. OOhhhh - my computer boots in 20 seconds, it's really fast, super high performance, thing just flies. I'm not gonna rehash anything that Waco has already pointed out regarding variables that can affect boot times. He has already done his best to explain that.

But to discount the improved read, write, load, seek & access times of a quality SSD just because it doesn't boot any faster than a mechanical hard drive is just................. well plain silly.

my pre windows logo boot (bios and post) takes roughly 45 seconds, then 25 secs to load windows to login screen and 10 to be at the desktop.

@op: How often do you reboot the computer... boot times are not of any importance whatsoever... 2 minutes a day is 12 hours per year... thats nothing compares to the 1000 hours a year i use my computer...

Well since Waco, Capi, and Wevs have already basically echoed my sentiments exactly, I will just say this....Put your mech drive back in your PC and sit there are wait for programs to load after you dbl click them! While all of us with SSD's are already using the program ;) I know from the moment I click my L4D2 icon, until I am in a lobby waiting for a 4v4 VS game to fill up takes about 10-15 seconds. Boot times are all fine and dandy, but I am much more concerned with the overall speed of my system after it has booted into Windows, and I am loading programs!

In addition to what everyone said above me ...what have you done to actually improve your boot times?

Try the following:

- Disable Sleep Mode

- Disable Hibernation (you can do this in Windows settings - but it will keep the hiberfil.sys file on your C:\ drive)

- Disable any program that doesn't really need to start up such as Steam, Windows Update on start, AV scans on start?

- Set to show BIOS screen for 1s

- Disable Full Screen Logo

- Sometimes setting Option ROM messages to keep current helps (didn't for me)

- Removing extra controllers your machine doesn't need (i.e. don't install everything on your motherboard disc unless you need it all)

- Keeping 20% of your SSD space free

Like Waco said though, there is nothing wrong with your boot times. There are ways to improve it though.

- Disable any program that doesn't really need to start up such as Steam, Windows Update on start, AV scans on start?

Personally I think this kinda removes the point of having an SSD. Steam, Windows Updates, etc all take maybe a second or two to start once I see my desktop. What's the point in turning them off? :P