Booting But Unstable...

Got my 2600+ up to 2305ghz.

11.5x400.

Voltage at 1.775

Thing is, it seems to be unstable and reboots ramdomly...

It fails Prime 95 pretty quickly :(

I have set the AGP frequentcy to 66mhz only, and I think the PCI cards are locked at 33mhz. Anything else I should look at that may be to blame?

Cheers,

Marc

Thanks for the advice everyone... Think it has helped me track down the problem!

Temp wise, I'm running 42-45C under full load at 2.3ghz, at idle I am at about 39C... Don't suppose it is too high, but I am pretty sure that the CPU is fine at 1.75 because:

The RAM is PC3200 very cheap generic, and I think therein lies my problem :ph34r:

It is the only part of the system that doesn't have decent parts and branded stuff... guess it kind of serves me right for being cheap!

I have been running Prime95 for the last 1/2 hour on 'CPU only torture test' without so much as a glitch, but as soon as I try to make it use the RAM as well, I get an error in under 2 minutes. Hmmm.

It was only cheap stuff, so I think I need to invest in some decent dual channel PC3700 and then try everything again.

Also, the chipset temp goes up to about 31C when I run a 200FSB, would a NB cooler really help this?

Thanks yet again :)

Marc

But check in like sisoftware sandra to see if your ram is being overclocked. If it is that is what would be causing instability. I had no problen using xtremly cheap pc2700 that worked fine for everything even gaming until i started pushing it hard with timing speed and voltage. When i hit the point of 2.9volts it died so just try upping your vdiim if your memory is being overclocked if not again look at the nb voltage

You dont have to worry about your NB temps. Mine hit 33 all the time and I have not had a problem.

And BTW 11.5*400=4600 NOT 2305

and 11.5*200=2300 NOT 2305

Next Question is What kind of mobo are you using?

Can you change the RAM divider

On my board I can set my RAM speed to 100%,83% SPD, AUTO and several other %'s,

You may want to check into that. I already cooked one 512 stick by oc my cpu and leaving my RAM set to SPD.

I hope that helps

Beatryder the fsb bus is double pumped so to speak so it can be considerded 200fsb or 400 and it is the same thing. If you look in programs like sisoftware sandra in a report it will show like 195fsb(390fsb) it's almost like temperature there is C and F both are correct but they are each different. I don't know if you have looked at somthing like wcpuid but when showing the speed it is never exact like 2gh it always seems to be a few higher or lower than it what it is set at. And most programs will be different from another so he may have read that speed from a program and no lets say the bios.

I think was using 201/202 FSB by accident! :ph34r:

Anyway, I seem to have got it stable!

Prime95 ran for an hour before having any kind of difficulty... but then came in with an error. Best settings yet anyhow!

RAM: 11, 3, 3, 2.5.

11.5 x 200

cpu 1.775

agp 1.6

dimm 2.77

When I say stable, I mean that I have no random reboots! Temp wise, I am at around 44C full load... seems OK so far.

As for Prime 95, can it provide false errors or anything? I'm only wondering as at the moment, and for the last few hours, the system has been great at 2300 and 200fsb. No issues of any kind.

Can I just run it like this? Or I am heading for disaster?

Edited by The Placid Casual

I think was using 201/202 FSB by accident!  :ph34r:

Anyway, I seem to have got it stable!

Prime95 ran for an hour before having any kind of difficulty... but then came in with an error. Best settings yet anyhow!

RAM: 11, 3, 3, 2.5.

11.5 x 200

cpu 1.775

agp 1.6

dimm 2.77

When I say stable, I mean that I have no random reboots! Temp wise, I am at around 44C full load... seems OK so far.

As for Prime 95, can it provide false errors or anything? I'm only wondering as at the moment, and for the last few hours, the system has been great at 2300 and 200fsb. No issues of any kind.

Can I just run it like this? Or I am heading for disaster?

I have always heard that if it will not run Prime 95 for at least 24 hours it is not stable

If you really want to test it try folding for for a few days with out errors

Edited by road-runner