The Mushkin SSD in my laptop died!

MercuryDoun

Completely random too, started installing SC2 last night on my laptop, went to bed. Woke up with it saying i had no boot volume. Messed with it a bit and reseat the drive, Nothing. Dropped it in my main rig, nothing, wont even be detected. Im very sad!! Its ok though, im sure the RMA process will be as painless as the memory i RMA'd for a friend. I just felt like saying something because i was very sad this morning lol.

Merc, for your power settings, did you have hibernation and sleep mode still enabled? From previous research, I heard that having your drive working while your computer going into hibernation or sleep mode can cause it to fail (I haven't tested this because I don't want my SSD to fail, lol). Starcraft 2 has tons of updates from the initial install, so it's possible that could have been the culprit since it was still updating and installing while your laptop became idle and went into hibernation/sleep.

Merc, for your power settings, did you have hibernation and sleep mode still enabled? From previous research, I heard that having your drive working while your computer going into hibernation or sleep mode can cause it to fail (I haven't tested this because I don't want my SSD to fail, lol). Starcraft 2 has tons of updates from the initial install, so it's possible that could have been the culprit since it was still updating and installing while your laptop became idle and went into hibernation/sleep.

Sounds like a logical reason...

Same failure mode as the Agility 2 drive that failed in my netbook.

Awww... then you know how i feel! Lol, Silly SSD's, dying is for HDD's!

I know for a fact that i turned off sleep and hibernation. Not because i had any idea that it would affect/possibly kill my SSD. But because i didnt want to wake up in the morning and find it was only downloading SC2 for an hour and wasnt even close to being finished.

I will remember this next time im installing somethings overnight or whatever. Thats pretty weird way to kill off an SSD. But still if keeping it alive means simply turning off sleep/hibernation while installing a large game then thats what ill do.