Thoughts on the HP TouchPad and webOS

d3bruts1d

Apparently webOS logs nearly everything you do, which is part of why it is so freeking slow. You can change the logging level by going into the phone portion and dialing ##LOGS#. You will have to setup a skype account or sync with a Pre in order to access the dial pad. Once in, you can change the logging level to "minimal" which will only log errors. After doing this, it is notably faster.

There are apparently some more tweaks that can be done by enabling the developer mode and installing Preware. I've not had a chance to do this yet, but plan to by this weekend... which includes overclocking the processor from 1.2 GHz to 1.7 GHz.

nice! Definitely let us know what the overclocking does for ya, this could be a new tablet!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently webOS logs nearly everything you do, which is part of why it is so freeking slow. You can change the logging level by going into the phone portion and dialing ##LOGS#. You will have to setup a skype account or sync with a Pre in order to access the dial pad. Once in, you can change the logging level to "minimal" which will only log errors. After doing this, it is notably faster.

There are apparently some more tweaks that can be done by enabling the developer mode and installing Preware. I've not had a chance to do this yet, but plan to by this weekend... which includes overclocking the processor from 1.2 GHz to 1.7 GHz.

Yeppers and here are the links.....

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/got-a-slow-hp-touchpad-here-are-3-easy-ways-to-speed-it-up/

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/mobile-news/overclocking-the-hp-touchpad-cranks-up-the-speed/3581

Enjoy.......

• 4 weeks later...

I've been using the TP off and on for the last few weeks, and my thoughts on it really haven't changed a lot. This is a $99 device and HP was smoking crack thinking it could sell for $500-$600 let alone compete with everything else out there. I find myself going back to the iPad 99% of the time unless there is something that absolutely requires Flash and I don't want to go to my desktop.

I did overclock it to 1.8 GHz and the speed increase was noticeable, as was the speed increase for disabling logs. I don't understand HP's decision to log every tiny thing done and while the option is there to disable it, actually getting to the setting is not something the average user would have done. As far as battery life after the overclock, the difference wasn't really notable. I would estimate that with my usage, the battery life decreased by less than 30 min, of course those that use the device more may see a larger impact. Of course the speed of the two cores fluctuates between ~150Mhz and the 1.8 GHz depending on what it is trying to do.

To do the overclock, you have to first install Preware (an unofficial app store as it were) and a couple of new feeds (think apt-get for you Linux folks) and then install a new Kernel. It's a bit of work.

If you have Preware installed then there are a few "patches" that I would recommend:

- Private browsing

- Improve card animation

- Remove ripple / touch animation

- AdBlock

- Add restart to shutdown menu

- Speaker boost (there are 2... one that increases a little and another than increases it a lot. I wouldn't use the 2nd.)

- Hulu Fix (this may break the webOS store, but it sucks anyway)

- Muffle System Logs

- Disable dropped packet logging

- Unthrottle downloads

- Increase touch sensitivity

And for those of you that are still trying to get your hands on one. Hope is not yet lost, but you have to be willing to play the game. On Tuesday and Wednesday OfficeDepot had a limited window where touchpads were available for sale. Last week, QVC had several for sale. The week before that, TigerDirect sold the TouchPad on two different days in a "bundle" with different accessories. There have been reports that TigerDirect has a ~2500 units in the warehouse and will be selling a new bundle as soon as they get a few more accessories in. TigerDirect's first bundle was announced via email while the 2nd one was announced via FaceBook. There is no telling what the various office supply / electronic stores will do, so if you want one you should consider using Facebook and Twitter to follow the companies. Lastly, the rumor is that HP will be making one final sale of the TouchPad sometime in October. You can sign up for email notice on the HP website.

There are a number of people also selling on eBay, CL, Sears Market, and various other locations. You can buy it there, but it is going to cost you a lot more... and while it may be tempting, it really isn't worth the premium price.

Having not done ANY research whatsoever, can you install other OSs onto this?

Has that been done yet?

I'm assuming this is a somewhat capable machine, it just needs a better optimized OS?

The Cyanogen Mod team is working on putting CM7 on it, and there are probably a few other modders out there working on it, but so far there really isn't a version stable enough to replace WebOS with yet.

Edited by TheHippi

The Cyanogen Mod team is working on putting CM7 on it, and there are probably a few other modders out there working on it, but so far there really isn't a version stable enough to replace WebOS with yet.

There is some thing that can be done to get Ubuntu on it.

That'd be pretty neat to have a cheap tablet that you can play around with.

Obviously tablets have been around forever but tablets now a days seem like they're the new netbooks, I wanted to get one of those awhile back too to fool around with but never had the chance.