Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

edwardquilo

Quick question, since when were any BF games competitive? They are just a "big military" game for mayhem. BC2 is far from realism gameplay and realism graphics.

Realism in gameplay and realism in visual are two different things. Graphics models in CSS were cartoony and pastel colored.

How is CS:GO any less competitive than other versions. It's the only one that actually has a competitive game mode component that none of the previous versions have.

I'm not sure how the other battlefield games are but I'm saying that Bad Company 2 has no potential because of the way it was made. Battlefield 2 has a much bigger potential in the competitive aspect.

Realism doesn't mean a better or worse game no matter where it's being implicated. Just that in real life soldiers don't compete for a high score so it's normal that they will camp or do things that you won't see in games and that may not seem that fun or skill demanding when done in a computer game and vice versa. I doubt it's as easy as aim and shoot to get AWP kills in real life. The problem is that the more they enrich their environments and the more detail they add, the harder it is to make the game an even match for everyone since it's easier to exploit something that isn't gameplay related. I doubt that this will be the case in CS:GO at least from what I see cuz like i said earlier, their engine has well defined textures and it's hard to mistake one for the other most of the time.

As for the competitive side of CS:GO, I don't know if it will be more or less competitive since there's been only one video released with actual game play and the game is far from being released. It's pretty much the same game as CSS so it'd be pretty silly if they messed. Also I don't see how you can judge the competitiveness of any game by what multiplayer modes it offers as opposed to it's gameplay. None of the previous counter strike games needed that match making bs, yet they turned out to be the definition of computer game competition. On the other hand, we have the Call of Duty games that have used matchmaking for quite some time now, yet there is zero true competition in eveything that is MW2 and up.

CS:GO is a XBLA/PSN game its pricing will be $15 range.

CS:GO's matchmaking uses ELO Ratings, something CoD does not. CoD probably just uses Player Level ratings if anything for matchmaking.

To get into competitive play in the older CS games you had to join clans to do skirms/clan battles or create a team to join tournaments. CS:GO has a competitive game mode built into the game. No extra work needed.

Edited by Krazyxazn

I'm not sure how the other battlefield games are but I'm saying that Bad Company 2 has no potential because of the way it was made. Battlefield 2 has a much bigger potential in the competitive aspect.

Realism doesn't mean a better or worse game no matter where it's being implicated. Just that in real life soldiers don't compete for a high score so it's normal that they will camp or do things that you won't see in games and that may not seem that fun or skill demanding when done in a computer game and vice versa. I doubt it's as easy as aim and shoot to get AWP kills in real life. The problem is that the more they enrich their environments and the more detail they add, the harder it is to make the game an even match for everyone since it's easier to exploit something that isn't gameplay related. I doubt that this will be the case in CS:GO at least from what I see cuz like i said earlier, their engine has well defined textures and it's hard to mistake one for the other most of the time.

As for the competitive side of CS:GO, I don't know if it will be more or less competitive since there's been only one video released with actual game play and the game is far from being released. It's pretty much the same game as CSS so it'd be pretty silly if they messed. Also I don't see how you can judge the competitiveness of any game by what multiplayer modes it offers as opposed to it's gameplay. None of the previous counter strike games needed that match making bs, yet they turned out to be the definition of computer game competition. On the other hand, we have the Call of Duty games that have used matchmaking for quite some time now, yet there is zero true competition in eveything that is MW2 and up.

First off, a game being realistic doesn't mean you are going to literally copy everything from life. Some players enjoy a close to realism game. I don't have a preference as long as I enjoy the game. But I am not really sure how you started the whole realism thing..

Second, have you ever served in the military? Do you even know what it is like? I've been in 5+ years now and I have done similar stuff you see in the games (Combat Engineer [Demolitions] and Infantry in the US Army). Whether a game lets you "camp out" or get "one shot kills" has no meaning to me. I go for what is fun.

Pretty sweet video. Looks very much like CSS, but with slightly better environments. Character and weapon models still need work, but an Alpha build is a WIP, so hopefully those improve as we inch closer to release.

Play Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Against PS3 and Mac Gamers

So what do you guys think of CS:GO's crossplatform gameplay? Will PC players have an unfair advantage over PS3 players? I hear PS3's also getting a keyboard+mouse combo treatment.

PC gamers will undoubtedly own console gamers if the latter use gamepads. There has been numerous studies that have shown the best console gamers get consistently owned by even mediocre PC gamers in shooters. BUT since console gamers will only have access to 5v5 matchmaking (unlike PC gamers who can play custom servers), this shouldn't be a huge issue.

New buy menu is going to be crap imo since it's always been the way it is now .. and then suddenly a whole new menu that's going be annoying to get used to. Those who can use the shortcuts to buy their weapons might not care, but it's still kind of a distraction.

I don't think it'll be that bad once you get used to it, and like you said, I'm sure we'll have hotkeys, plus I saw the "Rebuy previous", which is always helpful.

And speaking of distractions, the amount of detail they put in their new maps and models is might end up being a double edged sword since it might lead to distractions and for example: kills from an opponent that was facing you but blended in with the rest of the environment. Though the engine that valve uses has pretty well defined textures so it could work out.
How is better graphics and more detail a bad thing?? :blink: In real life, you don't have military personnel running around wearing bright purple against a black background.

Finally.. what's the damn point of making this game if it's not a CS2?? Such a waste of time just for some new graphics a molotov and a match making system. Why not just start CS2 and have it out eariler since they'd be working on it instead of this. They should have remade Half-Life 2 Deathmatch. That game needs the help way more than counter strike does.
It's a lot less work to rework CSS and simply apply a few updates to existing maps than to reconstruct a new game. I think this is there test project to see how cross-platform gaming will work. In addition, as someone who's played CS since the early 1.x days (pre-Steam), I can assure you that the large majority of CS players don't want drastic changes to the game. Any game with the CS game must have de and cs modes, must have purchasable weapons, must not have respawning, and must never ever ever have regenerating health.

I don't think it'll be that bad once you get used to it, and like you said, I'm sure we'll have hotkeys, plus I saw the "Rebuy previous", which is always helpful.

I did see number hotkeys in the new buy menu. So you can use hotkeys and they will probably offer preset purchases, if they aren't included in that current build in the video.

So if you're a hotkey purchasers, nothing really has changed except maybe the ordering since some new items have been added. If you a mouse click buyer, then you'll probably need to re-learn it.

Edited by Krazyxazn

I can assure you that the large majority of CS players don't want drastic changes to the game.

hence, why the hell are they making a new one... it's just not worth their time in my opinion since they could either be working on something completely different or a new perspective for CS that would revolutionize it. CS:GO is just CSS with some extra stuff that nobody really needs. That's the biggest issue. CS 1.6 and CSS are working perfectly fine in every aspect. It's a total waste of resources to be making this, but hey... it's their time and money, I don't have to buy it if I don't want to so that's about all there is to it. I'm just sayin' that it's not exactly going to be a super-awesome-new-game-never-before-seen or anything and I doubt sales will be high and thus I doubt that their new project is going to be the success they want it to be. People might get it in the beginning, see what the hype is about and go back to the solid css and 1.6 or just not buy it at all since they are giving money for the same thing with some things that aren't necessary for counter-strike to be good as a game.

hence, why the hell are they making a new one... it's just not worth their time in my opinion since they could either be working on something completely different or a new perspective for CS that would revolutionize it. CS:GO is just CSS with some extra stuff that nobody really needs. That's the biggest issue. CS 1.6 and CSS are working perfectly fine in every aspect. It's a total waste of resources to be making this, but hey... it's their time and money, I don't have to buy it if I don't want to so that's about all there is to it. I'm just sayin' that it's not exactly going to be a super-awesome-new-game-never-before-seen or anything and I doubt sales will be high and thus I doubt that their new project is going to be the success they want it to be. People might get it in the beginning, see what the hype is about and go back to the solid css and 1.6 or just not buy it at all since they are giving money for the same thing with some things that aren't necessary for counter-strike to be good as a game.

Well maybe they're just throwing it together real fast to make a little extra money, or maybe they simply have an entire team of programmers sitting around without anything to do even.

Personally I agree with you a little bit, I have to admit though, I do like some of the concepts they've presented so far, to me it seems like CSGO could be more team oriented and I think that's why they're doing it really. Valve has always shown a great deal of interest in teamwork in games and they've recently shown us with Portal 2 that they're actively pursuing this type of thing now. They've never been a company that was afraid to throw money at something and see what happens, experimentation is something Valve just loves to do.

Why does every new game have to have completely new concepts? It'd be like getting upset that every Mass Effect is about Commander Shepard. Seriously? If the current model works and people love it, all you need to do is update it and give it face-lifts. Remember, these companies aren't out there to give us different games every single time, they are out to make money.

Remember, these companies aren't out there to give us different games every single time, they are out to make money.

that's why 2/3 of them suck balls and that's why I won't pay for CS:GO and that's why it's an uninteresting game. Why buy it if it's not new or has nothing significant to offer compared to it's predecessors? Their money, their time so I don't care but that's how it is. Their time could be better spent by trying to experiment with new concepts for CS and introduce things that would change it for the better yet keep it true to it's name. A molotov cocktail and a matchmaking system that nobody needs to play competitively are hardy innovation and worth even 10$ (except the consoles since they all the help they can get if they want any competition to be had)

that's why 2/3 of them suck balls and that's why I won't pay for CS:GO and that's why it's an uninteresting game. Why buy it if it's not new or has nothing significant to offer compared to it's predecessors? Their money, their time so I don't care but that's how it is. Their time could be better spent by trying to experiment with new concepts for CS and introduce things that would change it for the better yet keep it true to it's name. A molotov cocktail and a matchmaking system that nobody needs to play competitively are hardy innovation and worth even 10$ (except the consoles since they all the help they can get if they want any competition to be had)

Eh, well everyone is entitled to their views, but I personally think you are wrong. I enjoyed CSS, and for years I wish it had better graphics and updated mechanics. This could be a whole new game, but I think they are just trying to test the waters. If this game does well, they will do another CS game, like CS2. If it doesn't, then why would they make another CS with a lack of support?

I know it may suck that games can get repetitive, but you have to remember, sometimes developers can't do everything everyone wants, and sometimes they can only do what the big company wants them to do. If you like the CS games and want to see some updated stuff, give it a try. If you don't care, then stick to whatever CS you like and don't worry about this game anymore.

I enjoyed CSS, and for years I wish it had better graphics and updated mechanics.

they did update the graphics and mechanics for your information as well as the sound, plus they added that new annoying kill cam. All that did was make some people have to upgrade their computers cuz they couldn't run css any longer with a steady fps. Overall, it was a useless upgrade.

This could be a whole new game, but I think they are just trying to test the waters. If this game does well, they will do another CS game, like CS2. If it doesn't, then why would they make another CS with a lack of support?

I understand that but i ask again, why test with practically the same thing? Why not test with CS2 and see how that goes instead of making a whole new game for the sake of like 2 truly new things. And if they don't have anything new at all except those...then why make this new game for nothing...I mean by the looks of it it's nothing more than milking counter-strike. The world is a big place so they're bound to make some cash but that's about it.

they did update the graphics and mechanics for your information as well as the sound, plus they added that new annoying kill cam. All that did was make some people have to upgrade their computers cuz they couldn't run css any longer with a steady fps. Overall, it was a useless upgrade.

Um, not sure where you're getting your info, but CSS has never had its graphics updated.