Diablo 3 Requires Constant Internet Connection

edwardquilo

Ya there are hacks, in fact it was one of the most heavily downloaded ones - over 2 million I think. But it doesn't work with non-hacked accounts. You still need a valid copy to play SC2 on MP.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not buying this for the same reason I didn't buy SC2. No modding, no LAN.

Those two things are the only reason Diablo 2 and Warcraft III are still being played.

I *might* buy it once single-player is hacked to not require connection to Blizzards servers and mods start coming out...but it'll be a complete pain in the butt to ever play mods with friends the way they've set this up. :rolleyes:

Edited by Waco

Those two things are the only reason Diablo 2 and Warcraft III are still being played.

Doesn't SC2 still have map editors? I've never heard/played an actual SC1 mods. I've played plenty of custom user setting maps though (SC2 has that too).

Edited by Krazyxazn

Doesn't SC2 still have map editors? I've never heard/played an actual SC1 mods. I've played plenty of custom user setting maps though (SC2 has that too).

AFAIK yes, but you can't host a server for that map yourself to play with friends. IIRC you have to get Blizzard to host the server or something stupid like that (though if I'm wrong someone please correct me).

I put most of my other arguments into the D3 thread.

It is one of the most powerful "map editors" provided by a game today. I don't play LBG to be able to make a comparison but you can litterally make your own games with the SC2 editor - and it is provided at no additional cost.

I've played some mods in SC1 and they were ok but not OMG let's play the Robotech Mod every night awesome. The built in editor for SC2 is so damn powerful a modder can do quite a quite a bit with it ...more so than any mod in SC1 I saw.

It is one of the most powerful "map editors" provided by a game today. I don't play LBG to be able to make a comparison but you can litterally make your own games with the SC2 editor - and it is provided at no additional cost.

I've played some mods in SC1 and they were ok but not OMG let's play the Robotech Mod every night awesome. The built in editor for SC2 is so damn powerful a modder can do quite a quite a bit with it ...more so than any mod in SC1 I saw.

Yea, I've heard similar things with the new LBP2 editor, making your own games with it.

Edited by Krazyxazn

AFAIK yes, but you can't host a server for that map yourself to play with friends. IIRC you have to get Blizzard to host the server or something stupid like that (though if I'm wrong someone please correct me).

I put most of my other arguments into the D3 thread.

They didn't have dedicated servers for SC1 either. You just password protect a game so only you and your friends can get in. In SC2 it's even easier to connect with friends, so I guess I am not following exactly what you are trying to accomplish.

They didn't have dedicated servers for SC1 either. You just password protect a game so only you and your friends can get in. In SC2 it's even easier to connect with friends, so I guess I am not following exactly what you are trying to accomplish.

:withstupid: If anything, the custom games/mods in SC2 is bigger than I've seen in any game to date. In fact, all I've played for the past year is custom multiplayer games, both with friends and with random people. And as Fogel stated, the friends system in SC2/B.Net makes it very simple - simply invite your friend(s) to a party and then join or create a game and every one gets in.

@Waco, if you think mods have anything to do with D2 still being played today, you're sorely mistaken. D2 mods only work in single-player. Go load your game and enter one of the B.Net servers and see how many people/games are still active - there are no mods being used there.

Ah, good old times. I remember playing custom Starcraft and Warcraft 3 maps like crazy, hardly playing the original game at all. Tower defenses and such were the best :blush:

I *might* buy it once single-player is hacked to not require connection to Blizzards servers and mods start coming out...but it'll be a complete pain in the butt to ever play mods with friends the way they've set this up. :rolleyes:

Diablo 2 mods? In reality, not a lot of people even play them. Diablo 2 is still played as is and it's very alive to this day. This thread has got me excited for Diablo 3, I really hope it'll be as great as it can be. :thumbsup:

EDIT: This has got me thinking if the scene is different in the US and it's in Europe. Perhaps you guys play more mods but I hardly know anyone who even knows about their existance. Europe is filled with Battle.net players.

Edited by Flibo

Ah, good old times. I remember playing custom Starcraft and Warcraft 3 maps like crazy, hardly playing the original game at all. Tower defenses and such were the best :blush:

Diablo 2 mods? In reality, not a lot of people even play them. Diablo 2 is still played as is and it's very alive to this day. This thread has got me excited for Diablo 3, I really hope it'll be as great as it can be. :thumbsup:

EDIT: This has got me thinking if the scene is different in the US and it's in Europe. Perhaps you guys play more mods but I hardly know anyone who even knows about their existance. Europe is filled with Battle.net players.

Don't think it's any different. I haven't checked in about a year, but the US East server was always hugely populated whenever I checked and I would assume the US West ones were as well.

I used a single-player mod at one point....like five years after launch, just to play around with items. Other than that one rare instance, most of my time was spent playing on B.Net, even when I was playing solo.

I did use the maphack, which wasn't detectable by B.Net, or at least they weren't cracking down on it at the time. That was before Blizzard updated the game with better item color-coding.

Maphack was the best :D. Made my job of rushing people so much easier especially Meph's Lair. I hate that map so much haha. If you were walking through that to get to him without teleport. Once you started, you didn't stop. It was so huge and if you left before finishing it was just a waste of time lol.

Edited by Krazyxazn

D2 mods only work in single-player.

That's not true at all - you just can't play on B.Net servers with them. You can host LAN games with mods all you like and people can connect to them via your IP as long as you have the ports forwarded properly. The Steam overlay makes this extremely easy to do in game with friends. :)

This is Waco btw, I'm on BluePanda's machine. :P