1366 MSI BIG BANG BOARD ISSUE

Don't bother putting the SSD on the Marvell ports...they are slower than the ICH10R ports.

But those are my main 6gb/s ports.....so your saying if i buy a 6gb/s capable ssd drive it will suck because of marvel or that i should just put my current 3gb/s SSD in the regular sata 2 ports?

-Michael

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TropPriest - The option to set your Intel SATA ports to IDE, AHCI or RAID is found in "Integrated Peripherals" > "On Chip ATA Devices".

You've already got the correct setting for the Marvell controller.

If it makes you feel any better (or worse) I'm running bios version 1.6 on my Big Bang and it still shows my SSD as an IDE drive, but performance is on PAR where it should be running AHCI and on the Marvell ports. Other than the BIOS reporting the drive as IDE, all other indicators are that the drive is operating in ACHI mode when you get into Windows. Now let me clear up some miss-information here;

Also I'm guessing on the intel part if yours has the sata3 ports it might be a marvel controler which had issues so check up on updates for them reguardless, both at msi and at the controllers websites. if the manufacturer makes an updatee rom for the controller but your board manufacturer don't implament it into the bios you might be out of luck.

TP's board does have the Marvell controller for the SATA3 ports, the only "issues" with the Marvell controller are piss poor write speeds, but read speeds with a SATA3 SSD are excellent. Marvell WILL NOT release a firmware update to individual consumers.

your going to have to use f6 floppy anyway and that will load the drivers and change it to achi on the ssd likely, it's not like you can't secure erase the drive in a few seconds any way.

That's not true if he's running Windows 7 - you don't have to do an F6 floppy install with Windows 7. W7 has native drivers for both the Intel and Marvell controllers.

Don't bother putting the SSD on the Marvell ports...they are slower than the ICH10R ports.

This is only a valid statement as it applies to READ speeds and/or the use of a SATA2 drive on the Marvell controller. I've ran extensive tests on my Big Bang Board and both Intel and Marvell controllers using the same SSD (Crucial C300) - and the read speed of the drive when on the Marvell controller is always faster (signficantly faster) than the drive on the Intel controller. The trade off is write and copy speeds - where the Intel controller excels.

But if you're using your SSD as a primary OS drive then the most important metric IS read speed because you probably won't be doing much writing or copying to the SSD drive righrt? One important note - if you choose to use the Marvell controller to run a SSD SATAIII drive, do not install the Marvell AHCI driver - it is a pile of junk. Stick with the AHCI driver that's bundled with Windows 7.

That's not true if he's running Windows 7 - you don't have to do an F6 floppy install with Windows 7. W7 has native drivers for both the Intel and Marvell controllers.

Thats likely part of the problem then, if your using the drivers that W7 installs they are old and out of date. You should always use F6 disk install, and /or slipstream your latest drivers into the disk with nLite.

Mike, with all due respect your advice is just plain wrong as it applies to Windows 7 and RAID/AHCI or even regular IDE installations. The drivers from the Win7 driver store are perfectly fine for getting a system up and running. It's just plain ludicrous to suggest that someone do an F6 or slipstream install for Storage Controller or IDE ATA/Atapi drivers during a Windows 7 installation on any modern motherboard. At most (for those running disks off the Intel controller) an installation of Intel's RST Driver package - AFTER Win7 is installed is adequate assuming you want that functionality. Otherwise you could leave everything as is and just let Windows 7 update the drivers automatically.

As I already pointed out, the MSAHCI drivers installed with Win7 actually work better than the Marvell drivers (assuming that you're going to connect an SSD to the Marvell controller). Here are my AS SSD performance numbers on a Crucial C300 that's been running since March 19 of this year. No disk defrag, trim or other tweaks before the speed test;

5979744646_bed96ee337_z.jpg

And as you can see I'm still using the "old and out of date W7 driver"

Trap - here is a screen shot showing that my BIOS looks just like yours;

5979839214_2169b6008e_b.jpg

You are using the Marvell driver......................... and you are connected to the Marvell SATAIII ports.

For your SSD you should be using the Intel ICH10R controller. No benefit and actually worse performance hooking a SATAII SSD to the Marvell controller.

The only way I can recommend connecting to the Marvell SATAIII ports is if you are using a SATAIII SSD AND using the default MSAHCI driver.

Now that you have Windows installed, you can verify whether you are running in AHCI mode by running the following from an elevated command prompt;

"fsutil behavior query disabledeletenotify" without the quotation marks

If it returns a value of "0" then your SSD is running in AHCI mode.

If it returns a value of "1" then it is running in IDE mode.