Best antivirus software

Paradax

42 members have voted

1. 1. In your experience, what is the best anti virus/ malware software?

• Norton
    • AVG
    • Bit Defender
    • eset Nod32
    • Kaspersky
    • ZoneAlarm
    • Other - Please post below

Alright I'm sure this is a question that gets asked all the time and is partially a matter of opinion, but I'm needing some good antivirus software, preferably an internet security package that includes a firewall.

I've had good luck with zonealarm in the past but have had some issues recently and was thinking about changing. I just wanted to know what AV/Firewall products you guys have had good or bad experiences with.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I found the thread you were talking about, now just to decide between mse, norton, and kaspersky.

As far as software firewalls are considered does anyone have any recommendations? Cause windows firewall doesn't have many options but I honestly don't know enough about networking to get zone alarm working at its best.

We recently had a thread like this, I'm sure someone will link to it.

Microsoft Security Essentials is my pick.

You mean mine? MSE is nice, Avast is alright but sometimes it feels like it doesn't detect anything... Malwarebytes also cleaned my PC a bit and boot tiimes went down by 30 seconds... still takes 5 mins or more though... Phil recommends it!

Edited by Dan The Gamer

• 4 months later...

I have tried just about all the best ones out there and some of the worst, i have used so far, Kaspersky, Norton(wich i totaly hate), AVG(Was my fav), Panda, Avast, Avira, MSE, Bitdefender, and out of all of these I totaly recomend using Bitdefender total security 2012

I have become a BIG fan of Comodo, in our testing it did the best job of stopping the infection from ever occuring and that to me is a lot more important than finding it and cleaning it.

Over the years I have tried them all and AVG is far and away is the least intrusive. If you let AVG do the auto updates which it will do sometimes 4-5 times a day, you should almost never have a virus/trojan get thru to do damage. Kapersky is a core and resource hog as is MSE. Nortion is O/K for low level detection but misses a lot. The software would be a lot better is Peter Norton was still involved but he sold all his software/utilities off a long time ago. Also, besides AVG, I use SpyBot which I update weekly. The combo of AVG and SpyBot seems to work really well.

Before everyone gets happy with a Landslide Microsoft Essnetial offering.

I have used just about every antiviral companies offering in the last 16 years. I think the Cloud computing software is the Schizz right now. Yes Microsoft is good but I can tell you that Panda Cloud Anti-virus is also very good. Ive been using for over 6 months now and not one problem or software related interuptions.....the resource footprint is very small, I dont have to manually update, since its cloud based its always updated, I have had several incidents now that Panda has reported attacks/intrusions and they handle it all automatically. They report to me but thats it. Panda is also Hot like Microsoft. :cheers:

I have a router firewall and turn off Windows Firewall.

Edited by Kwok

Over the years I have tried them all and AVG is far and away is the least intrusive. If you let AVG do the auto updates which it will do sometimes 4-5 times a day, you should almost never have a virus/trojan get thru to do damage. Kapersky is a core and resource hog as is MSE. Nortion is O/K for low level detection but misses a lot. The software would be a lot better is Peter Norton was still involved but he sold all his software/utilities off a long time ago. Also, besides AVG, I use SpyBot which I update weekly. The combo of AVG and SpyBot seems to work really well.

? Wazat? Looking at task manager right now it is using no measurable cpu processes and only 5000k of ram. That my friend is not a resource hog. As for when it is running a scan you can configure the amount of processes it can use.

My personal vote is for MSE.