Help an old oc'er out people please?

dean25

Been gaming on consoles the last few years and fell off the pc gaming radar, no more I thought as another kiddy started whining and bitching as I planted a 50 cal slug inbetween his eyes. The ps3 has been given to my daughter and daddy gets another toy :D

The Budget: £2000 or roughly $3200 is us money. It does need to include a screen. Use will be 100% gaming.............. I have many computers for other stuff already.

Parts I have on my first attempt at a "on paper" build are:

Mobo: Asus maximus iv extreme £270

Cpu: intel i7 2600k £250

Gpu: Palit gtx 580 3072mb £400

Hd: Corsair 120gb ssd £180

Psu: Antec gamer 900w £130

Mem 16bg Corsair £170

Case: don't know yet but say £100

Screen wise was looking at the

ASUS VE276Q - LCD display - TFT - 27" £270

Total roughly £1750

Or do I hold back on other things and go for 2 gtx 580's in sli. This is where I need the help! Would gtx 580's in sli be wasted on a 27" screen and 1920 x 1080 etc etc............ so I ask you fellow oc'ers what is the best way to spend my £2000 on a gaming box and screen.

Dean.

Twin GTX 580s in SLi would be a waste at 1920x1080 resolution (unless you're looking for bragging rights).

Other than that you've put together a solid (and pricey build).

The only thing I don't see is a backup/storage drive - say in the 1 or 2Tb size range.

It's hard to nitpick anything on your list because you've pretty much chosen the best of everything.......................

• 2 weeks later...

Ok well I've brought most of it...... so far my 11/12 gaming pc is

Case: coolermaster haf x full tower

psu: coolermaster pro silent power m850

cpu: intel i7 2600k

mobo: asus iv maximus extreme

hd: OCZ OCZSSD2-2VTXE120G Vertex 2 Series 120GB SATA SSD

ram: Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1866 2x4Gb

Also bagged an steelseries xai mouse, razer destructer mouse pad and a ms sidewinder x4 keyboard

Gpu, screen and a few bits and bobs to get but deffo getting there lol......... exactly a fresh £1000 left for gpu and a screen. A gtx 590 is looking good right about now......... just cannot make my mind up gpu wise.

Screen wise HANNS.G HZ281HPB - LCD display - TFT - 27.5" can be had for £250, anyone had one? If so what do you think to it?

i would say buy the biggest graphics card you can cause new games that demand more firepower will always be there.

the build looks very solid. i personally like the motherboard and the look it has.

Just brought a Noctua NH-U9B SE cpu cooler and kfa2 gtx 580 anarchy edition graphics card.

Just a screen to get and £500 left in the budget............ pub tonight :cheers::cheers:

While the U9B is one of the better 92mm fan coolers, it's still just a 92mm fan cooler. For air cooling, 120mm coolers are the standard while 140mm cool the best. 92mm are weak and don't allow a very high overclock. 92mm is also louder than 120mm+ in general, depending on the fan.

I'm generalizing a bit, but this has been the general consensus ever since I started really getting into building PCs in 2004.

Good info to have. I did read a few reviews that said pretty much the same as you...... apparently this one is some premium version with 2 of noctua's best fans

"Special Edition Premium Kit

Bundled with a tube of NT-H1, two exquisite NF-B9 fans and the new SecuFirm2™ multi-socket mounting system, the NH-U9B SE2 forms a complete premium quality package that's backed up with 6 years manufacturer's warranty and contains everything you need in order to achieve superb quiet cooling performance."

I am going to mildly overclock the system but not to extreme levels so hoping it will at least give me reasonalble temps. I am trying to keep the noise levels down so maybe I will live to regret the 92mm choice and go with bigger quiter fans and cooler in the future :thumbsup:

On the plus side I spent lunch shopping away on ebay like a mad man possed and have now brought the last few bits of the build.

Hanns-G HZ281HPB 27.5" WUXGA Wide LCD Monitor

LG BH10LS30 10x Blu-Ray Burner / Writer

Windows 7 premium

Now the long wait for deliverys begins.......... and a marathon session of youtube vids on unboxing and reviews of all the bits I've brought lmao.

Cheers folks :cheers:

While the U9B is one of the better 92mm fan coolers, it's still just a 92mm fan cooler. For air cooling, 120mm coolers are the standard while 140mm cool the best. 92mm are weak and don't allow a very high overclock. 92mm is also louder than 120mm+ in general, depending on the fan.

I'm generalizing a bit, but this has been the general consensus ever since I started really getting into building PCs in 2004.

My 1055T is running at 5C above stock with an 800MHz overclock with a 92mm cooler. It's seems to be more about the air temps getting to the cooler and whether or not you have a push/pull setup.

My 1055T is running at 5C above stock with an 800MHz overclock with a 92mm cooler. It's seems to be more about the air temps getting to the cooler and whether or not you have a push/pull setup.

Comparing the 92mm platform to a 120mm+ platform is all about the base product. Assuming all other things are equal (number of fans, case, ambient temperature) the absolute biggest factor is the heatsink itself (size, design, materials, etc.). The theoretical performance limits of the 120mm or 140mm platform is massive relative to the 92mm platform.

Getting a 1055T to 3.5GHz can be done with lower temperatures with the 120 or 140mm platform, which could mean lower voltages and/or a quieter system.

92mm is not a good decision for anyone (even considering budget) unless they can't fit anything larger.

The U9B is good for its size but if you will be overclocking you need something with more size. What people do not realize is that you are still overclocking four cores running 8 threads. They get hot once you get above 1.30v under load.