Radeon Mobility 5870 OC Help!

Hi guys... First, I am sorry if I post this in the wrong section, I don't know where I should post this, in Video card section or OC section..

I want to overclock the Ati Mobility Radeon HD 5870 Graphic card..

The default speed is:

-GPU clock: 700MHz

-Memory clock: 1000MHz

I am using AMD GPU Clock Tool to overclock it.

The most stable speed I have reached until now is:

-GPU clock: 820MHz

-Memory clock: 1080MHz..

It runs very stable in idle condition. Adding more speed will cause Gray Screen of Death just 5 second after I apply it..

The problem occurred when I play Crysis 2.0 and Battlefield 2142.. I only can play for the first 3 minutes. After that, the game will hang and the screen blank out..and I can do nothing with my laptop except turn it off manually by pressing the power button.

Notes: the temperature is stable.. 97C for crysis 2.0, and 89C for Battlefield 2142. only 1-2C different from the stock speed's temp...

I thought that my laptop couldn't handle the 820/1080speed.. but when I run the 3DMark Vantage, it was working fine, and with no error, and showing improvement in score and fps.. The temp is stable, 78C (load)... so the problem just occurred when I was playing games, besides that, it's stable and fine...

Any idea about this problem? does anybody know how to solve it?

Regards..

26776408.gif

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

89493621.gif

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I feel like the best advice anyone can give you in regards to your venture is to just not do it. Not trying to take away your fun, but it is just not a good idea to be overclocking a high performance card like that in a laptop. Those Mobility 5870's are already hot enough as is, and I really don't think you will see a worthwhile increase in real world performance to justify the risk you are taking. I would also certainly be concerned about the temp you quote for Crysis, 97C is not what I would call a stable temp...

Now with that warning out of the way, here are some things to consider. 3dmark is not always going to be a reliable way of testing for stability. In certain cases games will bring out instability that is not found by running 3dmark. Another thing worth mentioning here is that games can have a larger impact on temperature than 3dmark (in my own personal experience this has been especially true with laptops), you might still be having a heat problem here.

In the end there is a simple way to verify stability. Run the system at stock settings. If you have no issues, then you know your overclock is the culprit. Back off the overclock to a more reasonable number and work your way up, good luck.

Edited by Lackadaisical

Do not OC anything in a laptop. EVER! :(

Why?

1.laptops can not get rid of the heat fast enough

2.The parts in them(CPU, GPU and PSU) are not designed to be OCed

3.If anything goes wrong fixing it is not going to be fun.

Edited by Black6464

Also Liclac, most games are going to be much more demanding that Vantage. Mainly because Vantage only takes about 3mins to run through the entire benchmark, while gaming take much longer depending on your mood ;) Even in desktops, stable GPU OC speeds for Vantage, do not always mean those speeds are 100% stable when it comes to games! If your stock temps and OC temps are only 1-2C difference, then I say you are fine to OC you GPU.....even in a laptop :thumbsup: But, like IVI said, your OC is just not stable! I would back your clocks down to 775/1050 and see if you can game w/o a crash. If not, then you will just have to back it down little by little until you find what works! If 775/1050 does game w/o crashing then bump it up little by little, to see how high of an OC you can get "game" stable :) I usually bump my clocks 5mhz up or down, when trying to find stable GPU OC's :cheers:

I have been meaning to ask you what OC's you were getting on that 5970? If I rem correctly, you won an ASUS card, no?

nah it's a nameless 5970, just plain AMD.

So far I have 915/1150 but the core doesn't like 925, I may push higher than 915 before I finish memory off. (this is all at 1.2v, I suppose I can add more but I know this thing cant reach 1000mhz at 1.3v)

thanks for the reply and advice everyone, I have reduced the clock, and start trying it little by little...now currently in 750/1080, and I have tested it in crysis, and bf2142, no problem for 2h playing... I guess I was wrong, I am just randomly pick a clock speed from users out there who have their card overclocked...I think it will be the same as mine... And , sorry, but I don't think there will be any heat problem, I have read many users who have overclocked it 840/1140 without any heat problem, and I just got my vbios and driver updated, now the temp is lower by 5-6 degrees..even in 750/1080...The Vbios has fixed the clock speed of 5870, the GPU clock will be decreasing by itself if not in use to 405MHz..

Thanks, Speedwaynative, I will try your suggestion :D , increasing it little by little, hope I can get it stable,..... So The Vantage cannot be used as stability test for OC?

Hmm....Another question, I have seen the mobility 5870 OCed to 840/1140, The BIOS overclocking is locked by asus, so the overclocking is only via softwares... Actually, my system (my whole laptop) is the same as him.. and why is the reason of not every laptop can reach that speed even they are the same laptop model? I really want to know...

Regards

Edited by Liclac

Different hardware is just that, different. Some pieces overclock better than others, just like some cars of the same model will break down faster than others of the same exact year and model. They all get released into different environments and have different tolerances.