I need an engine

cant go wrong with a chevy 350 either. and they are everywhere to boot. LOL

well i just got done with a chevy 283, and chevy small blocks are all the same, with very minor changes, if you didnt measure anything, you would have a very hard time telling a 283 from a 350.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow, i knew you could go to 454 cu in but 472, thats gettin up there,

maybe i can find a stroker kit that puts me at 428, that would be neat, but it depends on if i can find a job this summer, and dont spend it on a 990x, lol, i'm hoping i get an interview at the ford dealer, back on topic,

how does part prices compare to the chevy sb, i'm thinking full roller, fancy aluminum heads, and TBI

I WANT

For the 351w, 408 is a common bore/stroke displacement. I'm wanting to go 408 on mine, but I keep sinking money into my 06 gt (3v 281ci 4.6l)

Chevy 350! And, since I love BMW so much, I can't help but suggesting an N62B44 or N62B48 lol.

Those are ridiculously priced....

He also said he didn't want to do another sbc.

Edited by sYstEmATiC

wow, i knew you could go to 454 cu in but 472, thats gettin up there,

maybe i can find a stroker kit that puts me at 428, that would be neat, but it depends on if i can find a job this summer, and dont spend it on a 990x, lol, i'm hoping i get an interview at the ford dealer, back on topic,

how does part prices compare to the chevy sb, i'm thinking full roller, fancy aluminum heads, and TBI

I WANT

Prices dont compare too bad until you start getting into the light weight stuff....then the prices go up. I suggest you make a friend with someone in the biz who orders parts. And I also suggest going with an Eagle rotating assembly. you can get them for 500.00-900.00 for the whole bottom end as long as you supply the block...

thats a stroker crankshaft, rods, pistons, rings and bearings. all you need is a block and do the clearance for the stroker crank. which is just basically making small notches at the bottom of the bores to clear for the rod end bolts.

The basic kit is in the middle weight range which means it will Rate average. If you opt for the more expensive light weight then it will Rate much quicker (which is more fun) but you will also need to pay closer attention to tolerances.

In any case you WILL need to fluff the tops of the pistons to remove sharp edges for Detonation control and play CLOSE attention to the Quench...The amount of Quench you put in the engine will make or break you for a performance engine that lives or one thats a rattle trap...

Now I suggest you keeping your mind open and if you run across a 460 Ford then snag it. Build that instead as the bottom end kits for those are 1400.00 on average for the monster 572in and the best part is there is miles of room in the block for a stroker crank and its basically a drop and go deal. no grinding , drilling or modding.

With either engine you WILL need new aftermarket heads so bear that in mind and start looking around. either engine has heads available for about 900.00 to 1,400.00 a pair.

I can tell you if I find another 460 I am doing one then finding me a solid truck and I'm going on a rampage....lol

Definitely take the class but if you get into a pickle dont be afraid to hit me up or even email someone like John Kasse for advice. you can learn alot from people like him...He's the Ford guru

yep but once you've done one you basically done them all...

I have them all except the late 70s 262 that came in the Monza and Caprice but I have all the other small blocks. 265, 283, 302, 305, 307, 327, 350 and 400....the 262 is one I dont have nor want....other than a collector piece...

I even have a home brewed stroked 327 thats now a 340in motor.... torque of a 350 but the winding power of the 327....

Does it have to be older model engines? If not, grab up a GM Series 2 or 3 3800 V6.. Can produce big power if you put in the effort. L67, L32, L26, L36.

well i want a v8, but no it doesnt have to be older, now im considering the ls series, but probably i will go with the sbf, i recently exploded my series 2 v6, i miss my gs.

Chevy 350! And, since I love BMW so much, I can't help but suggesting an N62B44 or N62B48 lol.

where would i find one of those, and or someone who knows how to build one, im not against import engines, its just i have no knoledge of them

Whats the budget (more specific then "cheap")? Also what are your power goals? L92 headed LQ4 or LQ9 shortblocks make gobs of power for fairly cheap - mainly because their heads flow amazing from the factory so most builds would only need valvesprings, they take common LSx aftermarket parts, and can be junkyard pulled from a lot of trucks. They are becoming the "go to" engine swap platform for conversions. Easy 500hp NA without anything exotic or expensive.

Honestly the cheapest would of course be an SBC, but you know that already :P. If you want to be different you can do a destroked high rpm 327 smallblock instead of the standard 355 rebuilds, but it won't be as cheap since you'd need to spin crazy rpms to make power with an NA 327...which means trick valvetrain parts. Stuff like thick walled 3/8th pushrods, lightweight valves (or you can have undersized valve guides installed on SBC heads to run thinner/lighter LS 8mm valves instead of standard SBC 11/32"s for a cheaper alternative to sodium filled race valves), Ti locks and retainers, and quality beehives like COMP or PAC. It gets expensive fast, but it will rev like a chainsaw and an SBC @ 8k+ rpms sounds like a banshee!

If you do go some form of an SBC and need any help just hit me up with a PM - I know my way around a smallblock chevy :evilgrin: .

well i want a v8, but no it doesnt have to be older, now im considering the ls series, but probably i will go with the sbf, i recently exploded my series 2 v6, i miss my gs.

Haha oh yea, I remember you telling me about your car! Get another Regal!!!