Help me find out what 'ata1' is? :S

cali101

I'm using a Thinkpad T43 (2668), and every time i boot linux (I've tried Gentoo minimal, xubuntu 10.10 and 11.04, and I'm now running Zenwalk), I get:

ata1: link is slow to respond, please be patient (ready=0)

ata1: SRST failed (errno=-16)

repeated over about 15 seconds, until it seems to give up and carry on booting.

Now, as far as I'm aware, there's only one storage device in my laptop, and that's ata2, which is a Momentus 160GB sata drive which i have in the ultrabay (dmesg tells me this).

I can't figure out what ata1 is - dmesg doesn't give any details - just says it's UDMA/133 SATA (as opposed to my harddrive which is UDMA/100 and PATA), and then it repeats what's given while the system boots.

Any ideas??

Thanks for the suggestions, but I don't have an optical drive, and the only IDE port doesn't have anything connected to it (My hard drive is in the ultrabay).

I removed the hard drive altogether (ata2), and the same thing occurs when i boot linux off a usb stick, which is why I'm confused...

it may be looking for a drive there and waiting for it to respond, have you tried disabling it?

This may be a stupid question, but how might I go about doing this?!

If you're referring to the BIOS settings, I can only disable modem, infrared port, etc. nothing useful...

I was hoping there was a way of stopping linux from checking for it during bootup, but there doesn't seem to be.

Edited by cali101

did you try putting it in the first port or any other? unless you only have one?

The reason I have it in the ultrabay is because the IDE port does not work, so unfortunately there's nowhere else to put it...

Try updating the bios. If there's a new update, it might unlock features. MIGHT. And why doesn't the IDE port work?

BIOS is the latest version, and I have no idea why the IDE port doesn't work. It doesn't seem to realise that there's a drive in there... Turns out it was 70 seconds, not 15 :-(