Micro ATX Quiet Case Build

jammin

The clean white background shows off the craftsmanship, so I think the pictures came out nice :thumbsup:

I'm no smart dude so this can probably be answered in one word, but won't the foam increase the ambient temperature of the case? Guessing the top fan is intake and then you will use the PSU + 1 fan to exhaust at the bottom?

1) Acoustic foam essentially reduces noise by converting some of the sound into heat, so yes, most likely it will increase the temperatures a bit.

2) Other way around, bottom fan is intake (PSU has it's own airflow really, so it is pretty much isolated), exhaust at the top. Heat rises, so cooler air in at the bottom, warm air out of the top. :)

I'll be interested to see what temperatures are like, but this build was always going to sacrifice temperatures for low noise.

Edited by jammin

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks good!

:thumbsup:

This just occured to me *forgive me if it has been addressed already), but aren't you concerned with the distance between your top panel and the top 140MM fan?

It seems like there can not be much room between the two.

I would think that would impact the sounds levels as well having the fan so close to the top panel.

Maybe you could consider building a bracket that that recesses the fan into the case and provided a bit of extra room?

1) Acoustic foam essentially reduces noise by converting some of the sound into heat, so yes, most likely it will increase the temperatures a bit.

2) Other way around, bottom fan is intake (PSU has it's own airflow really, so it is pretty much isolated), exhaust at the top. Heat rises, so cooler air in at the bottom, warm air out of the top. :)

I'll be interested to see what temperatures are like, but this build was always going to sacrifice temperatures for low noise.

1) yes, but to a VERY marginal degree. I would guess maybe 0.01C or something. the surface is different though and can cause airflow resistance though (limiting the airflow) and that could impact some degrees perhaps. Soundwaves contain very little energy, speakers are about 1% effective, and you know how much 100W RMS sounds like (that sound would yield one more watt in your case if all was absorbed).

2) you are right that hot air rises, but i would test fit the motherboard with the fan on the inside, since that would reduce a lot of restrictions on the airflow. alternatively cut a bigger hole and foam-squeeze it in the hole to get the motherboard clearance you need (less vibrations as a bonus too!).

EDIT:

Forgot to say this but truly an EPIC looking case! Great build so far!

Edited by medbor

Looks very nice with it almost completed, minus the components. :P For the foam, will you cut openings to let the wires from the PSU get through to the wire management holes you cut?

Yeah, I want components in there too. Should hopefully have some money for a CPU in the next couple of weeks.

As for openings, there are already some cut in the pictures :ph34r:

They are just knife slits so you can't really see them. Hopefully that'll be good enough for the cables but we'll see.

2) you are right that hot air rises, but i would test fit the motherboard with the fan on the inside, since that would reduce a lot of restrictions on the airflow. alternatively cut a bigger hole and foam-squeeze it in the hole to get the motherboard clearance you need (less vibrations as a bonus too!).

EDIT:

Forgot to say this but truly an EPIC looking case! Great build so far!

Yeah, not enough space to get the fan fully on the inside as it would interfere with the motherboard (I should have left a bit more room in hindsight). Enlarging the hole and fitting the whole fan frame into it is a good idea, I'll think about that.

And thanks!

@Andrewr05 - Still at least 10mm of clearance, which isn't as much as I would like. May use the method suggested above to increase that.

Yeah, I want components in there too. Should hopefully have some money for a CPU in the next couple of weeks.

As for openings, there are already some cut in the pictures :ph34r:

They are just knife slits so you can't really see them. Hopefully that'll be good enough for the cables but we'll see.

Aha, so they are. Quite hidden on the pictures, I didn't even notice them until the last one shows a close up of one of the cuts. Very sneaky. :P The cuts should be enough, but is a simple matter to fix if you need more space.

@Andrewr05 - Still at least 10mm of clearance, which isn't as much as I would like. May use the method suggested above to increase that.
10mm isn't that much clearance at all. :O

I would definitely figure something else out, then again maybe it'll just work fine the way it is?

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, that got straightened out after that picture.

All the hardware is in now.

Some of the installation was a little awkward (should have made the cutout to route the 8-pin CPU connector through a bit bigger) but I'm pretty happy.

The fans are a bit louder than I expected at 100% but they are nice and quiet on low RPMs and temperatures seem to be fine like that.

I didn't take pictures while I was installing as I was focusing on getting it all right. Worked on first boot, so no problems there. :)

I'll take some pictures when I get back after the weekend, along with some temperatures and stuff most likely.

Sorry for making you wait a few more days.

I haven't had much chance to push it with games or benchmarks yet, but these are what things are looking like just with internet browsing and general use.

temps.jpg

Note: the Systin, Cputin and Auxtin temps seem to be static and look like they are stuck on the values I have set in the BIOS that fan speeds will increase when the temperature exceeds.