Corsair H60 vs H70

alright guys, i promise this will be the last thread of me trying to determine which cooler haha, but i have an H60 that i got for $60 on sale, is the H70 worth it? i heard the H60 has newer technology so it may be even better with a push pull setup. keep in mind im cooling an overlcocked to about 4.2-4.5 Ghz i5 2500k chip. what do you guys think? which is the better option for me between these two. once again i promise no more threads lol i know it must be getting annoying. thanks!!

alright guys, i promise this will be the last thread of me trying to determine which cooler haha, but i have an H60 that i got for $60 on sale, is the H70 worth it? i heard the H60 has newer technology so it may be even better with a push pull setup. keep in mind im cooling an overlcocked to about 4.2-4.5 Ghz i5 2500k chip. what do you guys think? which is the better option for me between these two. once again i promise no more threads lol i know it must be getting annoying. thanks!!

Forums are meant to be helpful, so you are not a bother :)

As per performance, if you can get an H60 at $60 just take it and run. The last review I saw showed that the H70 was only 2-4C cooler than the H60 in Push|Pull Config, so it's pretty negligible considering the price. An H60 at $60 is a super steal :D

sweet now i feel good about the purchase :)....will the H60 keep the i5-2500k at solid temps? i know theres a difference between safe and then really good temps, will the H60 achieve great temps like the H70 could?

Even the H70 wasn't really up to snuff compared to the big heatsink+air coolers. It was pretty good for a closed loop liquid setup, but a Noctua, Zalman, or Thermaltake beast would take it down easy. Thats what I consider 'great temps'. The H70 was barely above average.

Even the H70 wasn't really up to snuff compared to the big heatsink+air coolers. It was pretty good for a closed loop liquid setup, but a Noctua, Zalman, or Thermaltake beast would take it down easy. Thats what I consider 'great temps'. The H70 was barely above average.

lol sooooo.....are u saying H60? lol im going with one of the two so i needed to know between these two

Since you wont be pushing the 2500k too far and you wont have to deal with hyperthreading temps ... Go for the cheap H60 .

The H70's double thick rad helps with hyperthreading and high voltage (45nm cpu voltage)

Since you wont be pushing the 2500k too far and you wont have to deal with hyperthreading temps ... Go for the cheap H60 .

The H70's double thick rad helps with hyperthreading and high voltage (45nm cpu voltage)

yea i decided to keep the H60. so ur saying if i decided on the 2600k id need the H70? wouldnt the H60 still be enough considering its the new chips

You wouldn't *need* it, it would just be more worth it. For your purposes, it doesn't make sense to spend more money on that cooler. If your build changed, then it might be worth it.

The *new* H60 isn't a new "chip", not sure what thats referencing. From what I understand they basically changed the mounting mechanism a little, and made some adjustments to the radiator (maybe the pump for noise/performance).

Whats really going to affect temperatures on these closed loop liquid coolers is that radiator. As soon as it gets behind on its job, the unit has pretty much hit the plateau temperature-wise and it won't get any lower (possibly even slightly higher). The radiator is key to making sure the temps stay low and preventing the fluid inside from a rising temperature. So, it needs to dissipate quickly and heavily. Bigger radiators, more fans, and better pumps all help accomplish this to some degree. For your work, the H60 with 2 fans will be fine. The H70 could possibly give lower temperatures with its better radiator, but you're talking a few degrees- while you're already 50 degrees within the 'safe zone'. Its not worth money for that kind of negligible increase.

Edited by LuckyDeath

You wouldn't *need* it, it would just be more worth it. For your purposes, it doesn't make sense to spend more money on that cooler. If your build changed, then it might be worth it.

The *new* H60 isn't a new "chip", not sure what thats referencing. From what I understand they basically changed the mounting mechanism a little, and made some adjustments to the radiator (maybe the pump for noise/performance).

Whats really going to affect temperatures on these closed loop liquid coolers is that radiator. As soon as it gets behind on its job, the unit has pretty much hit the plateau temperature-wise and it won't get any lower (possibly even slightly higher). The radiator is key to making sure the temps stay low and preventing the fluid inside from a rising temperature. So, it needs to dissipate quickly and heavily. Bigger radiators, more fans, and better pumps all help accomplish this to some degree. For your work, the H60 with 2 fans will be fine. The H70 could possibly give lower temperatures with its better radiator, but you're talking a few degrees- while you're already 50 degrees within the 'safe zone'. Its not worth money for that kind of negligible increase.

sweet! thanks for your help! :)

yea i decided to keep the H60. so ur saying if i decided on the 2600k id need the H70? wouldnt the H60 still be enough considering its the new chips

No but when you combine a 45nm i7 like mine and add hyperthreading on it then definately :teehee: What I meant was that the H70 would drop more degrees on a higher voltage hyperthreading chip but since 32nm runs so cool you wouldn't need to .

Rumours have it that Corsair is combining the h60's awesome cpu block with the h70's awesome big rad to make a monster . I cant wait for that :woo:

But back on topic you made a good choice with the H60 :thumbsup:

No but when you combine a 45nm i7 like mine and add hyperthreading on it then definately :teehee: What I meant was that the H70 would drop more degrees on a higher voltage hyperthreading chip but since 32nm runs so cool you wouldn't need to .

Rumours have it that Corsair is combining the h60's awesome cpu block with the h70's awesome big rad to make a monster . I cant wait for that :woo:

But back on topic you made a good choice with the H60 :thumbsup:

oh ok i was a little confused there. good stuff :) im getting more and more excited to build the rig as the days go on hehe