is cheap tim better than stock tim

We should start a "recommended TIM" thread. I grabbed some Antec Silver from Staples the other day (I needed some on the fly, Staples was a 5 minute walk), and it seems to be working well enough. (i5 2500k @ 4.5 1.32v loads 53C with my 120.2 Rad)

The biggest difference between the cheapest TIM and the best TIM is a couple degrees at best when properly applied. I wouldn't obsess over it.

i think your right, so spending money on the experiment is pointless, i will just buy one quality compound and try that,

and with the whole accronym tim, is a little weird for me, thats my first name, lol

i got the cheap mascool in the mail, and it dropped the temps 4 degrees but also the fan rpm went from 6800 to about 5100 and instead of spending money on this little experiment, i just bought a d14, so i will slap that on and be done with it, lol

I prefer diamonds. This is what I'm using, and it works great. Nice cool temps all around.

Thats whats on my laptop cpu and gpu. Sager was offereing a special "limited time" free upgrade to the ic diamond over stock when I ordered. If I had to pay for it, I probably would have went with whatever the stock stuff was/is.

The biggest difference between the cheapest TIM and the best TIM is a couple degrees at best when properly applied. I wouldn't obsess over it.

:withstupid: Theres about a 3*c difference between the ic diamond, and as5 on a C0 i7 920 at full load. (@ 24.7c ambient).

Thats whats on my laptop cpu and gpu. Sager was offereing a special "limited time" free upgrade to the ic diamond over stock when I ordered. If I had to pay for it, I probably would have went with whatever the stock stuff was/is.

:withstupid: Theres about a 3*c difference between the ic diamond, and as5 on a C0 i7 920 at full load. (@ 24.7c ambient).

Eh... I just recently replaced my Sager's stock TIM crap with AS5 and the machine just runs it's fan on low now. If you had the stock stuff I'd say definitely grab a service manual and strip 'er down. I did it at work a couple weeks ago haha, definitely was worth it but you're probably good :).

9000 internetz for you sir!! I lost this from my bookmarks, an epic TIM gathering!