Dell U3011 for gaming AND design

Hi guys,

I would like to ask for your expert opinions on the Dell U3011 30" Ultra sharp monitor. I have read a few reviews of it and have decided I am going to purchase it because of the size and quality but would like to know if anyone has used it or heard of it being used for PC gaming as well. I play mainly FPS (Black Ops, Crysis 2 etc).

Also, I have a Gigabyte Radeon HD6970 installed in my main PC which I assume will run this monitor at full res well (2560x1600). Is that correct?

Thanks,

Hi guys,

I would like to ask for your expert opinions on the Dell U3011 30" Ultra sharp monitor. I have read a few reviews of it and have decided I am going to purchase it because of the size and quality but would like to know if anyone has used it or heard of it being used for PC gaming as well. I play mainly FPS (Black Ops, Crysis 2 etc).

Also, I have a Gigabyte Radeon HD6970 installed in my main PC which I assume will run this monitor at full res well (2560x1600). Is that correct?

Thanks,

You might have to tone down the settings for demanding games like Crysis 2 at that resolution with just a 6970, but it should probably work fine.

You might have to tone down the settings for demanding games like Crysis 2 at that resolution with just a 6970, but it should probably work fine.

Crysis 2 isnt actually that demanding... They really optimized their Engine this time around. It truly looks amazing and will play with highest ingame settings as well as 4x AA and 16x AF on a single 5770(the computer has 2x 5770, but currently Crysis 2 does not play nice with SLI/Xfire)

Im fairly confident that a single 6970 will play any current/near future game at max settings but with little to no AA or AF. So you get the nice graphics, just none of the fancy bells and whistles. Its a nice monitor, ive only used one personally for about 5 minutes, and its truly an amazing sight to behold lol. Im sure you will love that monitor.

Yeah, 4x AA should be fine for most games with the 6970 at 2560x1600, but 8x may be more of a struggle in others.

As for whether or not you should use it for gaming, I say why not? The U3011 is a really great screen and the level of ghosting should be fairly minimal in most games, so you should be fine. Bosco and several other members have a 30" screen but yet I've never heard them say anything bad about gaming at that res. I'll be getting a 30" screen at some point, just need to get a good paying job before I do. :lol:

Crysis 2 isnt actually that demanding... They really optimized their Engine this time around. It truly looks amazing and will play with highest ingame settings as well as 4x AA and 16x AF on a single 5770(the computer has 2x 5770, but currently Crysis 2 does not play nice with SLI/Xfire)

Im fairly confident that a single 6970 will play any current/near future game at max settings but with little to no AA or AF. So you get the nice graphics, just none of the fancy bells and whistles. Its a nice monitor, ive only used one personally for about 5 minutes, and its truly an amazing sight to behold lol. Im sure you will love that monitor.

lol it's graphics haven't been enabled yet. The game is in DX9 mode (similarly to high mode in crysis 1, which wasn't that hard to run).

I definitely vote on getting it, I dream of getting a 30" monitor some day!

How much can you score one?

I'm going to be paying $1899 all up with Dell.

lol it's graphics haven't been enabled yet. The game is in DX9 mode (similarly to high mode in crysis 1, which wasn't that hard to run).

I definitely vote on getting it, I dream of getting a 30" monitor some day!

How much can you score one?

I'm going to be paying $1899 all up with Dell.

Holy poopsicles batman! Thats outrageously more expensive than just Dell.com... The link here is to their main website and this monitor, its only $1350... http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=224-9949&~ck=baynoteSearch&baynote_bnrank=0&baynote_irrank=0

Who are you buying this from again? Lol, they are about to rip you off hardcore!

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have the 3011, but I have the smaller U2410. It is my first IPS monitor, but it has the most amazing color I've ever seen (especially for the price) It's probably debateable on whether or not the Apple Cinema monitors are better, but you would pay a greater premium for them I believe.

IMO gaming is amazing! I've had no lag issues and color-rich games such as Bad Company 2 and Just Cause 2 really make it shine.