The Unofficial Battlefield 3 Thread

WhenKittensATK

LAN support I can see. I can buy dedicated servers for people who have a set group that always play with each other - such as clans. As a normal person who just wants to play the game I really don't see the benefit/need for dedicated servers. I wasted more time trying to find an active server where people are actually playing than I spent time actually playing BC2 ...well ok, hyperbole - but it sure felt that way! :lol: There were some nights where I did give up trying to find a game.

I suppose in a perfect PC World a game will offer both Matchmaking and Dedicated Servers but I don't know any game company willing to sponser both network architectures. BC2 tried to make it easy but their 'Play Now' wasn't exactly the best implementation - actually it kinda sucked, badly even.

Dedicated servers, public server files, demo recording, lan support, Steamworks, and eventually probably mod tools too.

Kind of interested in more info for public server files and demo recording - you have a link I can read at home? Or if you think its quick to explain than...

:typing:

Edited by Fogel

BC2 and BF3 only offer rent-able dedicated servers. MW3 has rent-able dedicated servers and dedicated server clients so you can run it on your home server.

As for finding BC2 servers to play on, its as simple as hitting refresh and finding a server with low ping. No clue what you're talking about.

Public Server Files = Free to host servers from home.

Demo Recording = Using a newer updated Black Ops' Theatre Mode. Records all your games automatically so you can re-watch them later. Has editing options and ability to upload to YouTube if you want to. GUI Based, you won't have to enter a single command into console.

Edited by Krazyxazn

As for finding BC2 servers to play on, its as simple as hitting refresh and finding a server with low ping. No clue what you're talking about.

Everyone's mileage varies but I didn't quite find it that simple. Most of the time it wouldn't refresh at all for me. If it worked 100% of the time for you, awesome - it didn't perform that well for me. I talked to a couple other OCCers on vent at the time and they had similar issues. One did say he thought the players online were just in low count, hence not much to select from.

Either way, I found it to be poor implementation. I would list StarCraft in my personal top 10 list but Battle.Net sucked balls back then.

Demo Recording = Using a newer updated Black Ops' Theatre Mode. Records all your games automatically so you can re-watch them later. Has editing options and ability to upload to YouTube if you want to. GUI Based, you won't have to enter a single command into console.

Nice! So this feature is for both PC and Console (the YouTube Upload as well)?

Edited by Fogel

Nice! So this feature is for both PC and Console (the YouTube Upload as well)?

Both PC/Console feature. Majority a Console feature until Black Ops released (previously only on Halo games).

All other PC demo recorders are highly console command based and required manual input to start recording. Even TF2's new Replay Theater still requires manually starting records.

Edited by Krazyxazn

No doubt and should reduce time wasted on experimenting. For example, FRAPS default for record is F9. In Hard Reset F9 reloads the game stage from the previous checkpoint and I can't find a key map setting in that game.