The Unofficial Battlefield 3 Thread

WhenKittensATK

which is what you're supposed to do in war, which this game simulates.

Besides, they'll probably disable it in hardcore mode again, so I don't see what the big deal is.

Edit: Also, why does this sort of thing bother people, but killcam doesn't bother people? That's pretty much a "hack" as well, you know exactly where your enemy is located, there isn't even any guess work like with spotting. I mean sure, you probably can't figure it out when the game is new but after a while you know the maps well enough to know exactly where someone is located and what the best route would be to go to that person.

for once i'm agreeing with you. l like the spotting feature. in a real war soldiers communicate that there is an enemy "over there by x". This is a way of doing it without the need for everyone to have / spam mics. i agree that it needs tweaks that vids like the one posted dont happen. maybe something about a line of sight thing. although in bc2 there where times i could physically see an enemy half way across the map but all the "Q" mashing wouldnt actually "spot" him.

That gives me an idea, what if instead of putting an arrow over the enemy's head, they recorded a bunch of different lines to describe the location of the enemy being spotted, that would essentially remove the feeling of it being a wallhack and probably encourage people to stick together more.

i like this idea too. but if the lines were too vauge like "theres an enemy overthere" people would complain about them being useless. but if they were like "enemy at 2o'clock" or "tangos 200yds" something like that could be cool / useful.

Minimap spotting is all that is require. It worked for every other game prior to BC2's 3D spotting.

3D spotting is too easy mode. Not only does it tell you exactly where they are, but it also tells you if they are behind something and what elevation. You don't even need to be in LoS with the current 3D spotting system that is a huge flaw. It takes all the guess work out of playing. They might as well have an indicator to show which way they are facing with 3D spotting.

3D Spotting is like a 24/7 see-through vision on Blacklight: Tango Down. Search Counter Strike ESP hack on YouTube and what you get is 3D Spotting :P

Edited by Krazyxazn

Just finished playing a bit; the 3d spotting is way easy mode, sniping is a bit odd because I feel like there is too much sway involved, even in prone, and now way to hold breath.

But the game is in Alpha, so I am sure these bugs will work themselves out

Rumour has it Monday the alpha ends

Minimap spotting is all that is require. It worked for every other game prior to BC2's 3D spotting.

3D spotting is too easy mode. Not only does it tell you exactly where they are, but it also tells you if they are behind something and what elevation. You don't even need to be in LoS with the current 3D spotting system that is a huge flaw. It takes all the guess work out of playing. They might as well have an indicator to show which way they are facing with 3D spotting.

3D Spotting is like a 24/7 see-through vision on Blacklight: Tango Down. Search Counter Strike ESP hack on YouTube and what you get is 3D Spotting :P

I'm pretty sure minimap spotting wouldn't do you much good in a game like BF because a lot of the maps are huge and your minimap doesn't cover enough of it. I don't know the exact numbers for what I'm talking about but just as an example, lets say you can easily see an enemy from 300m but your minimap only covers 50m in each direction from your location, this doesn't help you. It also won't help your team if your spot fails, which you can't know if it was a successful spot because of those restrictions.

I'm pretty sure minimap spotting wouldn't do you much good in a game like BF because a lot of the maps are huge and your minimap doesn't cover enough of it. I don't know the exact numbers for what I'm talking about but just as an example, lets say you can easily see an enemy from 300m but your minimap only covers 50m in each direction from your location, this doesn't help you. It also won't help your team if your spot fails, which you can't know if it was a successful spot because of those restrictions.

That's the point of minimap spotting. You have a limited range = better balance. If you try out BF2, you can see a proper spotting system. BF2 maps are way bigger than any BC2 or Metro Map as a whole and minimap spotting works fine. BF2 even let you control the amount of zoom on minimap.

If you haven't gotten into BF3 Alpha, I would save your comments on 3D spotting.

Edited by Krazyxazn

That's the point of minimap spotting. You have a limited range = better balance. If you try out BF2, you can see a proper spotting system. BF2 maps are way bigger than any BC2 or Metro Map as a whole and minimap spotting works fine.

If you haven't gotten into BF3 Alpha, I would save your comments on 3D spotting.

What's the point of minimap spotting? I said it leaves you totally ignorant as to whether you spotted someone or not, and you called that balanced?

I have played BF2, as well as BF1942, BF1943, BF2142, they're fine games but I still prefer BC2 and it's spotting system.

"I'm better than you because I got into the version of this game that probably won't be anything like the released version of this game"

Congratulations, you must be so proud that you are playing a video game and I'm not. :D

I'm not playing the Alpha testing because I don't want to play BF3 right now, I want to play Minecraft right now. That doesn't mean I don't have an opinion on things though.

What's the point of minimap spotting? I said it leaves you totally ignorant as to whether you spotted someone or not, and you called that balanced?

I have played BF2, as well as BF1942, BF1943, BF2142, they're fine games but I still prefer BC2 and it's spotting system.

"I'm better than you because I got into the version of this game that probably won't be anything like the released version of this game"

Congratulations, you must be so proud that you are playing a video game and I'm not. :D

I'm not playing the Alpha testing because I don't want to play BF3 right now, I want to play Minecraft right now. That doesn't mean I don't have an opinion on things though.

Spotting targets in BF2, showed up on the global map. It will show up on the minimap for players near that enemy.

BF2 used voiceovers, if you're spotted enemy was on target, your soldier would say Enemy TYPE Spotted (Type = tank, infantry, boat, helicopter, and etc). If you randomly spot nothing or missed the enemy, it will say "Enemy Spotted" and leave a ? mark in its place instead of a dot.

Begs to question if you even played BF2. I'll go as far as to make a BF2 video demoing the spotting system. BF3 doesn't play like BC2, clearly you haven't experienced it yet.

Edited by Krazyxazn

Spotting targets in BF2, showed up on the global map. It will show up on the minimap for players near that enemy.

BF2 used voiceovers, if you're spotted enemy was on target, your soldier would say Enemy TYPE Spotted (Type = tank, infantry, boat, helicopter, and etc). If you randomly spot nothing or missed the enemy, it will say "Enemy Spotted" and leave a ? mark in its place instead of a dot.

Begs to question if you even played BF2. I'll go as far as to make a BF2 video demoing the spotting system. BF3 doesn't play like BC2, clearly you haven't experienced it yet.

Why would you question whether I played BF2 or not? Why would I lie about it? If I was just going to lie about it I would have thrown BC1 in there as well, but I didn't because I haven't played that game.

If you're wondering if I was a hardcore fan of the BF2, no, I didn't really enjoy that one at all, it wasn't bad but I just didn't like it as much as the other BF games really. BF2 and BF2142 were probably my least enjoyable BF games, but I really liked BF1942, BF1943 and BC2 is my favorite of them all so far.

That's probably why I don't know the BF2 spotting system as well as you, I do remember the voiceovers, I can't say I ever bothered to bring up the full map, not sure why I would, I'm supposed to be going for an objective, not looking at the map.

Like I said, I don't know how well the spotting system in BF2 worked but I do know how well the one in BC2 works, and it's not very good, it misses half of the spots which ends up making it a pretty useless feature if it's the only thing you can use to save your team mate from across the map. That's pretty much how I expect BF3 to be, I expect it to be full of glitches just like BC2. That's just the way I think, I base a new game off of the developers most recent work, not something they did years ago, because that's the way you're supposed to look at things. You wouldn't judge a person based on a tattoo they got ten years ago because they change a lot in that time.

Edit: Forgot to respond to bilcliff.

for once i'm agreeing with you. l like the spotting feature. in a real war soldiers communicate that there is an enemy "over there by x". This is a way of doing it without the need for everyone to have / spam mics. i agree that it needs tweaks that vids like the one posted dont happen. maybe something about a line of sight thing. although in bc2 there where times i could physically see an enemy half way across the map but all the "Q" mashing wouldnt actually "spot" him.

i like this idea too. but if the lines were too vauge like "theres an enemy overthere" people would complain about them being useless. but if they were like "enemy at 2o'clock" or "tangos 200yds" something like that could be cool / useful.

That was actually what I was kind of thinking. I figured if it was like you mentioned, "enemy at whatever o'clock" , that would encourage players to stick together better. I was also thinking it could be something like "third floor, blue house" something kind of vague but those around the player should be able to figure it out fairly easily.

Not sure how difficult it would be to do something like that in a game such as BF3, what with it's massive maps and all, but I think it would put a more realistic spin on the spotting feature of the game.

Edited by Deathmineral

...today i tried to run the beta on my itx work puter with nvidia ion...."total fail"....everything worked except the ion, ...the drivers are WAY below the minimum standard for this game...so now i think i'll scour the egg for a cheap gt520, 440, or a 6670 to put in here (250w psu) ...i'm determined to game on my break time !! ...

US Retailers released BF3 preorder details.

Origin

Exclusive early open beta access (September 2011)

Ability to pre-load the full game before release

Physical Warefare Pack (DAO-12 Shotgun, Flash Suppressor, Type 88 LMG, Flachette Ammo)

Back to Karkand Expansion Pack

Battlefield Play4Free Items (870 Combat Shotgun, Beret)

Amazon

Dog Tag Pack - A set of 5 unique in-game dog tags to choose from. Dog tags in Battlefield 3 serve as your in-game signature, displayed on screen every time you defeat an enemy. You can also claim the dog tag of your enemies via skillful stealth knife takedowns. This pre-order exclusive pack gives you 5 unique dog tag designs to complement the standard range in the game.

Best Buy

SPECACT Kit - A set of 8 multiplayer skins, one for each class and side in Battlefield 3.

Demize99

Yes ladies and gents, the Alpha Trial is over. Thats why Battlelog is closed. Lots of feedback, working on all of it. (3D spotting cough)

New Holosights are much improved. :)

Q: Can you tell us what has been adjusted with the bipods?

A: For Snipers they now remove all sway unless the sniper is suppressed. For LMGs they have less recoil but more drift.

Q: What's with the perks guys, honestly.. like it or not you're obsessed with COD..

A: 2142 had all kit upgrades before COD:MW came out

Battleblog #5: Years worth of unlocks and rewards in Battlefield 3

• Compared to Battlefield: Bad Company 2, Battlefield 3 will have more than 10 times the hardware unlocks spread over weapons, weapons attachments, gadgets, and a huge unlock tree for vehicles alone.
  • Skill and dedication equal rewards
  • Weapon, Kit, and Vehicle unlocks
  • Ranks unlock new weapons, specializations, and camouflages usable by any class