HDD/SSD Question

desastrux

Should I get 2 1TB Samsung F3 or 1 2TB Samsung F4? or should i get 1x 1TB Samsung F3 and a 120GB SSD? If I get a SSD which brand should i get? How are Intel's SSD?

Depends on what you want to do. A 120 SSD will most likely fit your games and such, and a 1TB drive is a great backup/media disk. From a speed standpoint it would be far and away the best option. Would you RAID the mechanical drives or leave them as two different ones? If you leave them separate then get the 2 drives, less chance of catastrophic failure.

I love my Intel SSD's but they arent the fastest available. OCZ, Corsair, and Crucial are the leaders in SSD's right now.

• 3 weeks later...

Don't forget about the Zalman drives. They are almost at the top of the performance list and are cheaper than the OCZ, Intel, Corsair and Crucial drives, and be darned if they don't have the latest firmware already installed so it's just plug and play for less $$$.

have you looked at the revodrive? its a pci-e ssd with super read/write speeds. I think it's a raid-0 set up on one card so trim is not supported. I think you can get a 120gig for under 300 dollars.

http://www.amazon.com/OCZ-Technology-RevoDrive-PCI-Express-OCZSSDPX-1RVD0120/dp/tags-on-product/B003OBZ9GC

Edited by dling

have you looked at the revodrive? its a pci-e ssd with super read/write speeds. I think it's a raid-0 set up on one card so trim is not supported. I think you can get a 120gig for under 300 dollars. http://www.amazon.co...duct/B003OBZ9GC

I can attest to that comment. SSD on the PCI-E lane is a GREAT idea. And owning one takes the cake. Total boot time is around 20 seconds. total time booting OS is 6-10 seconds. And this is a drive about 2 gigs away from campacity. ohsnap.gif

As far as how many quaries It requires to get the most out of it im not sure but most all solid state drives on a sata II, III, or HSDL (high speed data link) don't come close to the revo drive or revo drive x2

Edited by boinker
forgot a tid bit.

I would go with the 1tb HDD and 120gb SSD because you will be getting speed for the critical programs/apps and storage for everything else. Win/win situation.

As far as brand goes, pretty much anything with the sandforce controller in them are going to be great but I would recommend either OCZ Vertex 2 or Mushkin Callisto Enhanced.