There's Sand in my Bridge

The other two SATA ports are likely the SATA 6.0 Gb/S on a Marvell controller. The SATA card is a good option if you have the space in an SLI/XFire setup. If my board was affected, I wouldn't have room. With my SLI setup and Fatal1ty soundcard, no PCIe 2.0 slots are left. Hope others don't find themselves in that situation 'cause RMAing a MB when it's already lovingly installed in your dream system is no fun :yucky:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The other two SATA ports are likely the SATA 6.0 Gb/S on a Marvell controller. The SATA card is a good option if you have the space in an SLI/XFire setup. If my board was affected, I wouldn't have room. With my SLI setup and Fatal1ty soundcard, no PCIe 2.0 slots are left. Hope others don't find themselves in that situation 'cause RMAing a MB when it's already lovingly installed in your dream system is no fun :yucky:

I second that

Don't suppose they really have much choice, though. If they don't do it, they risk losing a MASSIVE portion of their customers.

They don't have a ton of options :dunno:

They could have left it alone and quietly replaced the 5% they expect to degrade early. The fact that they made it public and have taken ownership before there is a problem is great. I can't give them enough credit for doing this!

What I don't understand is how the performance can degrade over time. It's not like chips have a best before date, they're not organic loaves of bread. What would cause this? Transitor eating bateria? Over voltages? AMD's psychic mentats projecting bad vibes? dunno.gif

Gigabyte announced an excellent way to deal with the problem, making it easier for folks that got a Gigabyte p67 board. Have not seen anything similar from Asus, I got the P8P67Pro, was thinking of just getting a refund from Newegg, since my 30 days refund limit still have 23 days to go.

The other two SATA ports are likely the SATA 6.0 Gb/S on a Marvell controller.

IIRC they are the 6 GB/s ports in the Intel ICH. Some boards do have a Marvell controller as well though.