Overclocking era over ?

UT66

Capping GPU performance ( AMD PowerTune) deliberately limiting overclocking (INTEL Sandy Bridge) a new trend?

Discuss.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its far from over , these new implementations are to try prevent noobs from frying their chips and cards , the enthusiasts will bypass these features and the overclocking will continue. Nvidia's power limiter and AMD's powertune can be bypassed already and Sandybridge will have k chips with unlocked multipliers so overclocking will continue but the ammount of people oc'ing will decrease.

Capping GPU performance ( AMD PowerTune) deliberately limiting overclocking (INTEL Sandy Bridge) a new trend?

Discuss.

Afterburner / Overdrive / Precision etc for GPU's means it's always viable. [Not to mention that PowerTune just modifies the clocks dependent on temperature, watercooling block says hi :evilgrin: )

As for Sandy, you have the unlocked series, so it's still viable. Not to mention the plethora of 1366 and 1156 boards out there which will be alive long after Sandy [especially 1366].

My thoughts anyways...

Its far from over , these new implementations are to try prevent noobs from frying their chips and cards , the enthusiasts will bypass these features and the overclocking will continue. Nvidia's power limiter and AMD's powertune can be bypassed already and Sandybridge will have k chips with unlocked multipliers so overclocking will continue but the ammount of people oc'ing will decrease.

1) for how long?...

2) you have to pay more

( value of OCn?.. gone)

With Sandy Bridge, the limited BCLK is just because the whole subsystem relies on a single clock. There are motherboards out there that will include a separate clock, so you can play with clock changes as well, and not the 2-5% you have now (with Sandy Bridge).

In fact, the non-K products can "overmultiply" by about 4 bins over their rated speed... So even with them, you can still "overclock" - but yes, the K skus will be where the multiplier limits are gone.

Well seeing as I have been bitten by the overclocking bug and it has no intention of letting go I will defiantly continue to overclock whatever is in front of me... This is not limited to house hold items. Where there is a will there is a way. So long as someone is able to do it thats what bios and code jacking is for. :thumbsup:

Oh and one thing. Overclocking will never cease to exist. Maybe from a computer stand point but in theory and reason Ocing a computer isn't much different then tuning a vehicles engine. Its not really much more then the same drive that makes everyone try to improve there own life or the things around them. That being said so long as there is intelligent life on this earth, as I look around and see no one that fits this description, there will be a form of overclocking. :whistling:

My 2 cents.

Some one get a hold of roadrunner. I need his steam roller to pave the sandy bridge. :lol:

Overclocking was mainly used for getting the most bang for your buck.

Fore example: i7 950 costs $200 at MicroCenter. You can overclock it for 24/7 operations to match that of an i7 975 that costs $1k at Newegg. The difference is a locked/unlocked multiplier.

Sandy Bridge will limit that, so while overclocking is still viable, you'll only be able to overclock via unlocked multipliers. There won't be any cost/performance benefits anymore.

There won't be any cost/performance benefits anymore.

I wouldn't say that - if you can overclock your Sandy Bridge 2600K to 4.9GHz, it's going to cost far less (overall), then getting a 1366 platform and doing the same... If you're comparing clock to clock.

The price difference between the 2600 and 2600K is roughly $25... so if you're there for performance, the 2600K will give you a lot... However, if you're in it for business, the K series needs to be avoided, you'll lose vPro.

Edited by mcw

Overclocking was mainly used for getting the most bang for your buck.

Fore example: i7 950 costs $200 at MicroCenter. You can overclock it for 24/7 operations to match that of an i7 975 that costs $1k at Newegg. The difference is a locked/unlocked multiplier.

Sandy Bridge will limit that, so while overclocking is still viable, you'll only be able to overclock via unlocked multipliers. There won't be any cost/performance benefits anymore.

This... I guess there's always the AMD route, but then i see them reducing the IQ filtering " new feature" , and now this new PowerTune " feature" :whistling: Mmmm. Another trend? Making things cheaper @ simpler. New feature? its slower! ( AMD? taking shaders out ! from VLIW5 to VLIW4) but hey the naming gets bigger or integrating fkn everything on die and capping oc (intel) the prices? not much change over here.

Edited by UT66

I wouldn't say that - if you can overclock your Sandy Bridge 2600K to 4.9GHz, it's going to cost far less (overall), then getting a 1366 platform and doing the same... If you're comparing clock to clock.

The price difference between the 2600 and 2600K is roughly $25... so if you're there for performance, the 2600K will give you a lot... However, if you're in it for business, the K series needs to be avoided, you'll lose vPro.

And how do you know the price difference is roughly $25?

I have to disagree with the price/performance. People will be selling used i7 920/930's for ~$150, and used LGA 1366's for ~$130 (at least what I'm seeing locally on Craigslist). That's $280. I got a used i7 920 d0 for $150 and a P6X58D-E for $100, totalling $250. A new 2600K will probably start around $550 and an LGA 1356 at around $220 (for the lowest boards). Saving $500 gets you a new GTX 580.

We really just have to wait and see.

And how do you know the price difference is roughly $25?

A new 2600K will probably start around $550 and an LGA 1356 at around $220 (for the lowest boards). Saving $500 gets you a new GTX 580.

We really just have to wait and see.

Launch is next month - pricing has been available for months (and the boards and CPUs have been available since the beginning of the month to system builders).

Trust me....

And, for pricing.. Look here

Launch is next month - pricing has been available for months (and the boards and CPUs have been available since the beginning of the month to system builders).

Trust me....

And, for pricing.. Look here

Interesting. If I see good reviews and deals, I may upgrade just for curiosity. That might mean a cheap i7 950 and LGA 1366 motherboards at the OCC Marketplace. Too bad only the 2600 series get Hyperthreading.