OC'ing HD5870 + random questions

Brutality

How do you OC a graphics card and how high are the temps allowed to be. I've got told to use MSI Afterburner, but why not use ATI Overdrive (comes with catalyst), does it suck?

Other questions (unanswered from previous threads)

How do you see MB temperature and how high is it allowed to be? Can you define stable to me? (CPU overclocking) I've tried overclocking to the point where after some hours in Prime95 it won't reboot properly, i.e. the computer doesn't succesfully shut down (the monitor does however) and never really reboots, forcing you to hit the power button and it next time you power it up it will power off after a few seconds and power it self up again and you'll be met with American Megatrend's message "OC failed", you could however ignore this and just keep the settings and stay away from 30min+ prime95 tests and the system doesn't complain (at least it didn't complain during weekend LAN party)

If needed here are the BIOS settings:

3923.5MHz - Max temp: 49*C through 24 hours hours Prime95 Blend 2x Torture

Multiplier: 9.5

FSB Frequency: 413

PCIE Frequency: 105

DRAM Frequency: DDR2-1036MHz

Timings: 5-5-5-15

CPU Voltage: 1.35

CPU PLL Voltage: 1.5

FSB Termination Voltage: 1.3

DRAM Voltage: 2.2

Load-Line Calibration: Enabled

Spectrums, EIST, C1E and C3-6: Disabled

Rest on Auto

So incrementing FSB frequency by 1 or more introduces the reboot problem. Please note however, that avoiding Prime95 tests the system reboots without problems.

Copy-catting from previous thread:

Also, on Kingston's homepage they say 2.2V for the DRAM voltage, as well as where I bought them, but on the DIMMs it says 2.3V

What to go with?

Also: Where can I find out what to put SB and NB voltages to? and how do I know what vCore I need to put?

Finally: Should I OC untill I get a max temp of 60? (I think Crazy_Nate suggested that threshold)

I still can't find memory multiplier in BIOS, looked through everything (auto DRAM frequency sets it to 1:1 though, but with manual it goes 2:3 (or 3:2 can't remember))

Probably stupid question but, OC'ing the RAM? or am I doing that when I'm changing the DRAM Frequency?

Many thanks in advance - Brutality

Edited by Brutality

Also, on Kingston's homepage they say 2.2V for the DRAM voltage, as well as where I bought them, but on the DIMMs it says 2.3V

What to go with?

Finally: Should I OC untill I get a max temp of 60? (I think Crazy_Nate suggested that threshold)

I still can't find memory multiplier in BIOS, looked through everything (auto DRAM frequency sets it to 1:1 though, but with manual it goes 2:3 (or 3:2 can't remember))

Probably stupid question but, OC'ing the RAM? or am I doing that when I'm changing the DRAM Frequency?

Many thanks in advance - Brutality

Go with the volts on the dimms

Yeah 60 is fine. Mine reaches around 55-58 under stress testing, but less when gaming.

I dont know that board but you should be able to select from a variety of frequencies. Since 1066 MHZ ram is really binned 800MHz ram you probably wont get too much more from it. Stick to as close to 1066 as possible. I was able to get 1125 (450FSB) and same timings.

Go with the volts on the dimms

Yeah 60 is fine. Mine reaches around 55-58 under stress testing, but less when gaming.

I dont know that board but you should be able to select from a variety of frequencies. Since 1066 MHZ ram is really binned 800MHz ram you probably wont get too much more from it. Stick to as close to 1066 as possible. I was able to get 1125 (450FSB) and same timings.

The dimms feel REALLY hot when I go 2.3V (so hot u don't wanna touch) how hot are they allowed to be? perhaps I can see temp somewhere?

Edited by Brutality

The dimms feel REALLY hot when I go 2.3V (so hot u don't wanna touch) how hot are they allowed to be? perhaps I can see temp somewhere?

I definitely wouldn't go beyond 2.3v, that's the highest I ever take my DDR2 memory, I'd never take DDR3 that high

That doesn't sound very promising. Thats probably a source of instability for your overclcok. Mine have 2.28v and they are only warm. I would drop the volts back to 2.2 and reduce the speed as well to around 800MHZ while you are finding the best stable overclock for the CPU. Then when you get that sorted start looking at overclocking the Ram.

Sorry Brut, no way of knowing how hot your memory is actually running except for the "finger touch" method or shooting them with an IR thermo.

However, if they are "too hot" to touch, that is too hot. I like everyone's suggestions about dropping the vdram back down to the neighborhood of 2.2v and seeing what you can get out of it from there.

Onto the subject of memory overclocking - when you start pushing your FSB without changing the memory multiplier to a lower value then you are indeed overclocking your memory. The final operating frequency would determine whether you were "overclocked" or not. Most socket 775 boards don't give you an actual memory multiplier to choose from, alternatively you're presented with a list of straps/fsb frequencies to choose from. Depending on what you choose there changes your actual memory operating frequency.

Actually, I haven't put them to 2.3 since I was starting to OC, back then they felt really hot and I put it down to 2.2 and I've been OC'ing at that voltage, now I'm at 2.2V and they're actually cold to feel (haven't had a stress test for 2½ hours though), I could try to put them to 2.3V but it sounded like 2.3V is alot for DDR2?

Maybe I missed something, but are you certain it's the ram causing the issue? 2.2v is likely enough for your current settings, which might be why they got so hot back when you did 2.3v

I haven't got a clue as to what's causing the reboot issue, but someone told me (PM) that it might be the mobo having it's limit - I mean it's not a P5Q Pro, it's some Green Eco version of the P5Q

PS. I might try to see how 2.3v does today - I might had some messed up settings back then, anyways I was mainly asking for how to OC my graphics card :P

Edited by Brutality

In terms of your video card overclock.

Afterburner has some advantages in that it usually gives you an option to push the clocks further than CCC and also has options to increase voltage on cards that support it and CCC does not. Additionally it allows you to save profiles of your overclocking and the Kombuster feature allows you to stress test.

Overall a better tool. I tend to use CCC myself though for everyday use (900/1250) on my 5870. Highest temps I got under stress testing using OCCT was 89 on my 5870. In gaming tends to be around low 60's with fan on Auto. You should probably expect to be able to overclock to something similar, even using CCC.

In terms of your video card overclock.

Afterburner has some advantages in that it usually gives you an option to push the clocks further than CCC and also has options to increase voltage on cards that support it and CCC does not. Additionally it allows you to save profiles of your overclocking and the Kombuster feature allows you to stress test.

Overall a better tool. I tend to use CCC myself though for everyday use (900/1250) on my 5870. Highest temps I got under stress testing using OCCT was 89 on my 5870. In gaming tends to be around low 60's with fan on Auto. You should probably expect to be able to overclock to something similar, even using CCC.

Ok thanks, but what is the max for temps? or should one overclock with something else than temps in mind?

EDIT:

I tried to set the RAM at 2.3V but after like 30 mins of Prime95 Blend test they felt hot (although not too hot to touch). I did Prime95 Blend test with RAM at 2.2V earlier today for 6-7 hours and they only felt warm - How hot are they allowed to be?

EDIT2: For GPU stability testing (MSI Afterburner) how long do you test and at what settings, if any specific?

EDIT3: hmm MSI Kombustor crashes (or the ATI driver crashes...) with anything higher than 885/1235 (core/memory)... How did you get it to 900/1250? the temps are fine, it's never gone above 85*C (auto fan)

PS: I stability test with Direct3D 11 (8x MSAA) @ 1920x1200 windowed mode (so I can keep track of temps etc.)

EDIT4:

I tried OCCT now and currently getting errors with 877/1235, I read somewhere that errors come from too high core clock, so I am decrementing the core by 1 and testing again... about EDIT3... I just found out crashes come from too high mem clocks, but I haven't tried increasing the core clock in Kombustor, but since I am getting erros in OCCT I am currently trying to find a stable core clock...

Or have I comletely misunderstood something? btw temps has reached 89*C but not higher

PS. OCCT test setting are: Auto (1h), resolution: 1280x1024 @60hz, windowed mode (so I can monitor temps etc.), shader complexity: 8, and error check turned on

EDIT5:

Found this nice guide and I'm starting on scratch now xD

http://tech.icrontic.com/article/overclocking-the-radeon-hd-5850/

Edited by Brutality