Recommendations for a mouse

Guest_Jim_*

I'm thinking about replacing my trusty trackball. It has served for well for so long, but with how much gaming I've been doing, especially FPS, or anything that requires quick precision, it is proving a little annoying. You see, the ball can be stiff to move, so I'm thinking I should replace the trackball with a mouse, which will probably give me the speed I want, since I can use my whole hand to move the thing instead of just my thumb.

Any recommendations?

This is for my desktop, so I don't need wireless, and really don't want it either, since then I have to worry about batteries. Even if they only die every few months, I'd still rather just go wired. I don't do games like WoW so I don't need a dozen+ buttons. Besides, when I've installed Logitech drivers for my mice in the past they've decreased performance over the baked in generics and broken some functionality. I have only used Logitech in the past, but don't need to keep to that brand.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

I used a Razor mouse before, and it was alright, but the Logitech G5 and G500 mouses (see sig) have been great.

Have you installed the drivers and noticed any issues? For example, I've seen lag due to the drivers and the scroll wheel getting messed up. In Firefox, Chrome, and IE you can click the scroll wheel to open links in a new tab and to close the tabs by clicking on them in that way too. One time I installed the drivers, which included the software to assign things to the buttons, the ability to use the scroll wheel that way was removed in favor of zooming or some other thing I don't need. I couldn't find anyway to put it back to how it was other than just removing the software and drivers.

I just went through some of the documentation of the G500 and I think I will get that, but I won't order until I'm back from work today, so any more recommendations are welcome.

It claims that the macro settings can be stored on the mouse without needing software and drivers, so if I have driver issues I could just configure the mouse and disable/remove the drivers without losing the configurations (I think).

+1 for mx518

Mostly due to that it has survived flawlessly over 6 years, and never reads wrong (jumping around). Had an mx510 before which also still works. It fits perfectly in my hand but i guess mine are of the larger variety.

I've had my mx 518 for almost 2 years now and it's been great.

Do yourself a HUGE favor and get a decent gaming mouse pad. My Razer goliathus made a major difference in the mouse's precision and smooth gliding. Night and day difference over a generic pad.