occ a athlon II x4 640

cery25

can y oc a athlon II x4 640 if she's not a black edition?

if yes : how

if not : life is a b...

tnx

Edited by cery25

First off I would point out that you don't "OCC" anything, you "OC" it.

To actually get to your question, yes you can (as you can any CPU put in a motherboard not made by Dell/HP). This one you will have to do entirely by what is called the reference clock, which on all current AMD chips is 200MHz. The 640 has a 15x Mutliplier to get the 3.0GHz rating it has at stock. Basically, every MHz that you bump the reference clock up (say to 210) you increase the speed by about 15MHz each time (resulting in 3.150GHz here).

Most of Intel's non-Extreme editions require overclocking this way because their multiplier is locked, whereas AMD has been pushing the Black Editions for overclockers like us. The not-quite-high-end CPUs usually don't features the Black Edition moniker so they require the harder way of overclocking.

First off I would point out that you don't "OCC" anything, you "OC" it.

To actually get to your question, yes you can (as you can any CPU put in a motherboard not made by Dell/HP). This one you will have to do entirely by what is called the reference clock, which on all current AMD chips is 200MHz. The 640 has a 15x Mutliplier to get the 3.0GHz rating it has at stock. Basically, every MHz that you bump the reference clock up (say to 210) you increase the speed by about 15MHz each time (resulting in 3.150GHz here).

Most of Intel's non-Extreme editions require overclocking this way because their multiplier is locked, whereas AMD has been pushing the Black Editions for overclockers like us. The not-quite-high-end CPUs usually don't features the Black Edition moniker so they require the harder way of overclocking.

first sorry fot the ,, occ'' on the tilte

it that means , i can only oc from bios ? how mach should i rase the clock , form 10 to 10 and make a stability test?

Hi cery25,

First off give us some of your system specs!

We know your cpu, then:

Motherboard (make and model)

Memory (make, model, and rated speed and voltage), this should be on the sticker on the side of your memory.

CPU cooler/heatsink (model)

Power Supply (make, model, and wattage)

Also, tell us what your goals are! What cpu speed are you trying to reach?

What will you be using this computer for? (ie. Gaming, Video editing, Benching.....)

Then OCC can get started in helping you OC your computer!

Edited by AIinc

amd athlon II x4 640 3000 mhz with stock coler in idle at 33 d c

gigabyte m68m s2p

xfx gts 250 1 gb ddr3

kingstone 4 gb ddr 2 sdram 800 mhz 1,8v

psu tecnimax atx 600 w

i want to oc at 3,5 -3,6 ghz

and yes i use this computer for games, videos...and read the reviews from occ site :D:P

Edited by cery25

amd athlon II x4 640 3000 mhz with stock coler in idle at 33 d c

gigabyte m68m s2p

xfx gts 250 1 gb ddr3

kingstone 4 gb ddr 2 sdram 800 mhz 1,8v

psu tecnimax atx 600 w

i want to oc at 3,5 -3,6 ghz

and yes i use this computer for games, videos...and read the reviews from occ site :D:P

I would seriously consider upgrading your cpu cooling if your going to overclock, stock coolers don't cope too well with the extra heat.

First off, to start overclocking you need to just focus on your cpu to find the maximum ptoential it has to give therefore it doesnt matter about the other components at this stage therefore lowering them is perfectly acceptable.

By raising the base clock you dont only raise the cpu frequency you also raise ram frequency, hypertransport frequency etc... which means you will have to lower this first

First lower your ram frequency to 400mhz (or lower if possible)

Lower hypertransport frequency to about 1200mhz

Then begin to bring the base clock up. Try it about 5 mhz at a time and then you will fail to boot at about 230mhz base clock. At this point you will have to raise the nb voltage (I set mine to about 1.16v)

At about the same time the cpu will require more voltage too. Im not too sure what the voltages are on this chip as i own the 620, the 640 has lower voltages and can overclock higher, however the voltage i take mine to at 275x13 is 1.54v, yours shouldnt require quite as much.

When the base clock comes to a hault on a x15 multiplier you will have to lower the multiplier and carry on raising the base clock, this should push more juice out of the chip.

I would expect you to get about 3.75ghz on that chip, i know i can get mine to 3.65ghz stable but i understand that i have a fortunate 620 chip as some struggle to get higher than 3.45ghz stable.

I cant really help you no more than this as overclocking relies on a lot of trial and error and you will have to dedicate a few hours to get maximum results but remember that the ram frequency and the hypertransport frequencies can be raised once you have found the limit on your cpu. Hope this helps